Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy 2016 X90D or Lease 2020 Long Range Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I would be disappointed in Tesla if this was true. This means that when they list the used car on their site they know *exactly* whats wrong with it, but hope that some sucker thinks its ok and pays full price. I.e. they only give pictures, but they can be giving so much more information rather than having potential owners roll the dice.
This is all speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.

Would you be willing to give some details about the lease? Such as if you put any money down, if they guarantee the residual, how long you leased for, monthly payment?

I, too, am considering leasing an X over buying. We are in such a rapidly changing phase that I worry about what the value of the car will be in a few years time, and how easy it will be to sell a few year old Model X. Thanks for any info you can provide.

My lease was for a fully loaded X with FSD. $126.990 sticker. 12k miles a year for 3 years. No sales tax on EV cars in NJ so that helped a little. $2900 down and $1982 per month. Residual at the end of the term is $73,115

I am looking at a 2016 X with 30k miles for $62,500.
My other option is to lease a 2020 long range model X for 36 months but that will end up costing me about $53,500 over the 3 years. Additionally, I drive about 8k miles per year and will end up below the 30k miles for the life of the lease.

My commute is mostly local but I need the 6 seater when traveling with my family. The range on the 2020 is 328 while the 2016 is 250. Not sure that range difference will impact my longer trips but I could be wrong. LA to San Diego 2-3 time per year. Rest of commute is local.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Not sure if you've made a final decision. Looking three years in the future, you will suffer less of a hit on the 2016 - if you sold after 36 months of ownership, the sale price would need to be less than $10k to "lose" less than you'd spend on a lease.

Your commute considerations make the 75D vs 90D vs 100D comparison seem a non-issue (assuming you are charging at home daily). That said, your tolerance for the extra time (possibly hour+) waiting to charge on those SD trips could be a factor. I wouldn't spend $10k+ to avoid 4 hours of charging a year, but everyone has their own valuation.

Good luck on the decision.

Reactions: TD85
My lease was for a fully loaded X with FSD. $126.990 sticker. 12k miles a year for 3 years. No sales tax on EV cars in NJ so that helped a little. $2900 down and $1982 per month. Residual at the end of the term is $73,115

If that really is what your X will be worth in 3 years then you are likely ahead by about $5k over 3 years by leasing, it would appear. Unless my math fails me.

Was your lease process smooth? Did they change the numbers/terms on you? It may be the state that I'm in, but so far the lease process is horrendous, my terms were changed 3x on me and residual is not printed on the final agreement.

Was your lease process smooth? Did they change the numbers/terms on you? It may be the state that I'm in, but so far the lease process is horrendous, my terms were changed 3x on me and residual is not printed on the final agreement.

Our lease was very smooth. We have 2 cars leased from Tesla. a Model X and a Model 3. Both times the paperwork never changed. One interesting thing is by default you cannot buy a Model 3 at the end of the lease term. I don't know if this applies to the Model X, but there is a residual amount on our Mid 2018 Model X.

Mine was somewhat smooth. I live in NJ and I found the X in Georgia that met the specs I wanted so I decided to fly down and drive it back up instead of paying the $4,000 transportation fee Tesla wanted to charge me. When I got to the delivery location they had included the $4k charge in the lease anyway.. The sales manager did speak with home office and it was removed, but that was the only hiccup I had throughout the lease process. Nothing else changed.