Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a 75D Inventory now or wait for possible price reduction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been following this site for awhile and have learned so much. Thank you.

I am hoping for your opinion....I am in the market for a 75D. My question is do you think I should buy an inventory car now with a couple thousand miles and a few thousand dollar incentives or wait for the possible reduction in the 75D sales price or possible "free options" like when they added the Smart Air Suspension. This inventory car won't have Smart Air Suspension but if I take delivery in the next week I can take advantage of the .99% financing. I am confident at the start of the next quarter they will need to do "something" if the rates go up and new Model S' start at $74,500. I noticed a few weeks ago a lot of inventory cars were listed with big incentives (they are all now gone)

Any thoughts , comments, or suggestions are appreciated!

I was in a similar debate myself, I do not believe they will discount the 75D down to the price of the Non D. I went ahead with a purchase of an inventory 2.5 AP car. It had the faster 0-60 time and the new smart air suspension included. I take delivery Thursday and I think it was my best option. All the "Adjustments" that i saw mostly were giving what is now standard discounted on the models which it was paid for.

If the Model 3 is meeting or exceeding the production ramp curve, tesla semi is a hit in late October, and model y and pickup are on the radar; I think less attention will be paid to S and X volume and less discounts to drive quarterly volume goals will be given.

That said - refreshed interior, better or longer range battery, or any other net new hardware change will likely result in us seeing heavily discounted inventory vehicles again. I could also see a price reduction on th S/X if efficiencies are met where margins can be maintained at a lower price mix.

I’m curious if the referral program will live on through 2018.

Previously, when old models disappeared, new models or other changes quickly followed. Maybe there won't be a discount, but it wouldn't be surprising at all to see 75 becoming 80 suddenly in Oct without price changes.

In fact, I would be surprised if no such changes happen this year at all.

If you like a car now , price, options, etc.. then get it. I learnt this the hard way. You have to understand that with Tesla, things can change at any time. Your Salesperson won't even have any knowledge of it.. no -one.

You could get a car a 75D today and tomorrow, they could 1) Discontinue it and take it back to 85D 2) add or remove standard options 3) increase or decrease performance..4) Price could change after you take delivery, like the next day.. up or down.

If you are not comfortable with such abrupt changes then perhaps Tesla would not be the maker of choice.

IMHO

• Disagree
Reactions: EVSteve
If you like a car now , price, options, etc.. then get it. I learnt this the hard way. You have to understand that with Tesla, things can change at any time. Your Salesperson won't even have any knowledge of it.. no -one.

You could get a car a 75D today and tomorrow, they could 1) Discontinue it and take it back to 85D 2) add or remove standard options 3) increase or decrease performance..4) Price could change after you take delivery, like the next day.. up or down.

If you are not comfortable with such abrupt changes then perhaps Tesla would not be the maker of choice.

IMHO
Now is the best and worst time to buy a Tesla. If you buy now, you will miss tomorrow's new features. However, if you constantly wait until tomorrow, you will never buy a Tesla as you'll be stuck in a loop waiting for tomorrow. Whenever you buy, ignore new features that come out immediately thereafter and focus on the features you bought your car with. Good luck!

Now is the best and worst time to buy a Tesla. If you buy now, you will miss tomorrow's new features. However, if you constantly wait until tomorrow, you will never buy a Tesla as you'll be stuck in a loop waiting for tomorrow. Whenever you buy, ignore new features that come out immediately thereafter and focus on the features you bought your car with. Good luck!
Also, if you wait, they could discontinue something you want that may not be popular with other drivers.

Reactions: BWa75D
I have been following this site for awhile and have learned so much. Thank you.

I am hoping for your opinion....I am in the market for a 75D. My question is do you think I should buy an inventory car now with a couple thousand miles and a few thousand dollar incentives or wait for the possible reduction in the 75D sales price or possible "free options" like when they added the Smart Air Suspension. This inventory car won't have Smart Air Suspension but if I take delivery in the next week I can take advantage of the .99% financing. I am confident at the start of the next quarter they will need to do "something" if the rates go up and new Model S' start at $74,500. I noticed a few weeks ago a lot of inventory cars were listed with big incentives (they are all now gone)

Any thoughts , comments, or suggestions are appreciated!
I have a 75D and it is excellent. I’ve driven a 75, a 90D and a P100D. In real world driving my car is everything I need. Fast, responsive, sure-footed, comfortable.
The cheap financing will be more beneficial that any slight discount.
There will probably be an interior refresh in the next 3-6 months, but it will take a while to trickle down to inventory cars. I’d get in now and start enjoying.

Thank you for the info. After calling my OA for more info on the Inventory car the Premium package was the "old" Premium package. I was hoping for the better sound system but I am not interested in the "old" Premium package. So for a few thousand dollars less I could get a car without Smart Air Suspension with 2,500 miles on it or order a new one and wait for delivery. The more and more i look these Inventory cars they don't make much sense if you are looking for a deal. The OA told me the financing rates will go up October 1st from .99% to 1.49% (approx. $20.00 a month more) He said he hadn't heard of any other changes, offers, or upgrades. I am going to wait and see if there is a new battery or price reduction.

Honestly, the best time to buy a Tesla is right after a major change, e.g., when engine was updated, or when 75 was introduced. There have been pretty big changes pretty much twice a year for the past few years. I feel a change is coming by EOY.

Last edited:
Wow..to think the OA I am working with has been trying to scare me into buying before the 0.99% rate goes away, while keeping the info away from me that the rate will only be going up to 1.49%

In any case, unless something crazy happens this week, I am firmly in the camp of wait till October. Either the price of the 75D goes down or the new "base" model will have increased range for the price of the 75D now...That's my bet.

Thank you for the info. After calling my OA for more info on the Inventory car the Premium package was the "old" Premium package. I was hoping for the better sound system but I am not interested in the "old" Premium package. So for a few thousand dollars less I could get a car without Smart Air Suspension with 2,500 miles on it or order a new one and wait for delivery. The more and more i look these Inventory cars they don't make much sense if you are looking for a deal. The OA told me the financing rates will go up October 1st from .99% to 1.49% (approx. $20.00 a month more) He said he hadn't heard of any other changes, offers, or upgrades. I am going to wait and see if there is a new battery or price reduction.

Tesla is busying pouring all its resources into the 3 and "production hell" they aren't making any significant overhauls to the S/X for some time. If you wanna buy a car, buy it now. The federal tax credit is likely phasing out next year anyways. The 75D isn't dropping in price to the RWD price, if it was to happen it would've already.