Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buy FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it does not make sense to drop price when demand is still strong. So the logical answer seems to be that the demand is not as strong as hoped.
Or production is higher now. You can make more money selling more units at a lower profit margin. I am a little worried that demand isn't as high as they had hoped. They really should have made the Model Y first.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Or production is higher now. You can make more money selling more units at a lower profit margin. I am a little worried that demand isn't as high as they had hoped. They really should have made the Model Y first.

There is no way demand is as high as they hoped. They would not be able to deliver new Model 3's in days if demand was strong it would take 2+ months minimum.

I went ahead and bought at $2k. I don't see it getting any cheaper since they have to do a hardware update. At MOST I stand to lose $2k. On the other hand, we've seen plenty of times where prices for options went up but somehow nobody seems to remember that lately. They've increased prices on paint colors, AWD went up and down a number of times, heck they've increased prices on software including FSD.

A week ago they wanted $5k for me to buy FSD, at that price I didn't want to bite until I saw what they could do with it. At $2k I'm sold. All you folks saying that it's going to go down in price further or free I think are fooling yourself. At $2k I don't need real full self driving with no monitoring. I just want a decent driver assist in the city with the car taking turns, seeing traffic lights, etc. Pretty sure they can deliver that no problem.

I agree that those who already bought FSD got screwed. All the other owners on the other hand got a freebie yet everyone is freaking out like sky is falling instead of saying thanks.

Last edited:
$8000 drop does cover the full $7500 federal credit phase out that arrives Jan 2020, however, I am skeptical if Tesla can hold the price constant after July 1 and then Jan 1, as each "cliff" will trigger customer perception of a price hike.

If you factor in the change in tax credit I overpaid for my car by about $4,000. More than that probably since it's likely if buying today I would just get the basic autopilot feature and not the full package that includes features I hardly ever use (I use summon once in a while if the car is parked tight, I have used NOA a handful of times but it has scared the hell out of me a couple of times too).

Then you have to factor in the extra taxes I paid on the car ($400) the extra registration costs (extra $160 the first year, extra $130 second year, extra $100 third year, rinse repeat) extra cost for insurance (probably an extra $200 or so through my insurance to insure a $62,000 car than a $55,000 one).

And then the real kick in the nuts is that if the car is worth 50% of MSRP after three years and 30,000 miles then I just lost $4,000 in resale.

So my decision to buy my Model 3 early in the lifecycle has cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 actually when you add all this *sugar* up.

If you factor in the change in tax credit I overpaid for my car by about $4,000. More than that probably since it's likely if buying today I would just get the basic autopilot feature and not the full package that includes features I hardly ever use (I use summon once in a while if the car is parked tight, I have used NOA a handful of times but it has scared the hell out of me a couple of times too).

Then you have to factor in the extra taxes I paid on the car ($400) the extra registration costs (extra $160 the first year, extra $130 second year, extra $100 third year, rinse repeat) extra cost for insurance (probably an extra $200 or so through my insurance to insure a $62,000 car than a $55,000 one).

And then the real kick in the nuts is that if the car is worth 50% of MSRP after three years and 30,000 miles then I just lost $4,000 in resale.

So my decision to buy my Model 3 early in the lifecycle has cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 actually when you add all this *sugar* up.
50% in 3 years? Mines already probably at 50% lol

Yeah I was so tempted to delve in last December, as the Tesla instant torque was quite enticing. The only thing that held me back was the concern of build quality, so I decided to wait for Model 3 lease. But now SR is available early, it seems to be a good option(or those trims with $6k-$8k off).