Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buy FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla was anywhere close to offering Level 3-5 autonomy they wouldn't be charging $2k for it and their stock price would be $1000. I would not expect the price to drop unless the expected features become even more worthless.

I wouldn't say the features are worthless. However the original pricing of $8,000 definitely doesn't mesh with what we've seen they are capable of when you compare it to other brands self park and TACC features.

If auto lane change becomes safe and reliable and if stop sign and traffic light recognition arrive with 99.999% reliability allowing reliable auto driving on city streets then the value proposition goes way up.

However, Tesla so far has done nothing but back pedal for years on what FSD was going to be able to do and when it was going to do it. Chickens are coming home to roost, regardless of what apologists have to say about it. Remember that less than 18 months ago everyone was convinced that hardware 2.5 was capable of full autonomy and that the car was going to drive you to work with no driver interaction, assuming regulatory approval.

Makes sense. I think they did all of the price drops at once instead of steadily over time. I don't think it's a coincidence that a P3 with the same config is now almost exactly $7300 cheaper before tax credits vs when I got it, even when considering the $5k refund I got for PUP.

Yeah compared to Dec 31(which is less than 2.5 months ago) the price drops almost $4000 after halving of federal tax credits. From what I read online, Jan and Feb had roughly 6000 Model 3 sold in US per month, so at 5000 production units per week, there would be 28000 units left. Should Europe take all those 28000 units? If not that will explain US price drops.

My worry is that when Tesla keeps ramping up production(or even just maintaining 5000/week), and Europe/China not absorbing the excess units, US prices may keep dropping ....

However, Tesla so far has done nothing but back pedal for years on what FSD was going to be able to do and when it was going to do it. Chickens are coming home to roost, regardless of what apologists have to say about it. Remember that less than 18 months ago everyone was convinced that hardware 2.5 was capable of full autonomy and that the car was going to drive you to work with no driver interaction, assuming regulatory approval.

I think Tesla went for moon shots as far as FSD is concerned, and the tech(from Tesla and others) is just not there to support it.

I think Tesla went for moon shots as far as FSD is concerned, and the tech(from Tesla and others) is just not there to support it.

Others are much closer to Tesla in my opinion and based on results from Waymo on how many miles they've done with almost zero driver overrides they are much closer than Tesla is.

Now Waymo doesn't want to sell you a car but the work they are doing is probably influencing manufacturers like Audi who want to approach FSD different than how Tesla is doing it.

Others are much closer to Tesla in my opinion and based on results from Waymo on how many miles they've done with almost zero driver overrides they are much closer than Tesla is.

Now Waymo doesn't want to sell you a car but the work they are doing is probably influencing manufacturers like Audi who want to approach FSD different than how Tesla is doing it.

I think Waymo now has human driver as backup. If that is true then as good as Waymo9being the best), it still will be a long way from the original promise of FSD/Level 5.

I think Waymo now has human driver as backup. If that is true then as good as Waymo9being the best), it still will be a long way from the original promise of FSD/Level 5.

We are years away from any car being autonomous without a human backup being used on public roads without restrictions. Anyone insisting otherwise is selling magic beans that make beanstalks.

I think that's unduly harsh. Musk is brilliant but unfortunately he's also overly optimistic. I think he also pushes people very hard, something Steve Jobs was also known for doing. This kind of pushiness seems to be needed sometimes in order to move things forward.

You can also be brilliant and also be stupid. He needs to stop over promising and under delivering and maybe for a change try to promise less and over deliver.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Why is everyone being so negative? Sure, you're buying a "pre-order" of FSD, so don't expect it to do anything yet. However, there is a decent chance that Tesla releases some of the FSD features (e.g. stop sign/light detection) in 2019, and I would bet they raise the price once that happens.

New buyers are currently being charged $7k for FSD, so buying at $2k right now might be a good hedge against a price increase down the road. Just food for thought.

Jobs didn't like to pre announce products or features to the public until almost the day they were available to buy. He used that secrecy so skillfully for the buying sentiment to work in Apple's favor.

On the other hand, Musk seems to announce things the moment he thinks about them :) I guess he too is using that skillfully to crowdfund Tesla.

I guess both are great salesmen in achieving what they want.

Why is everyone being so negative? Sure, you're buying a "pre-order" of FSD, so don't expect it to do anything yet. However, there is a decent chance that Tesla releases some of the FSD features (e.g. stop sign/light detection) in 2019, and I would bet they raise the price once that happens.

New buyers are currently being charged $7k for FSD, so buying at $2k right now might be a good hedge against a price increase down the road. Just food for thought.

Yeah, after MSRP on the car I bought was cut by $8,000 I'm not going to lose too much sleep over some critical feature costing me more if I wait a few months.

All Tesla have done so far is demonstrate that when they need a cash raise they will have a fire sale on these software features.

I'm waiting for my P3D- unlock on my dual motor 3 for $2,000 when they get close to end of Q2 and need more cash.

Reactions: turtlesz
Yeah, after MSRP on the car I bought was cut by $8,000 I'm not going to lose too much sleep over some critical feature costing me more if I wait a few months.

$8000 drop does cover the full $7500 federal credit phase out that arrives Jan 2020, however, I am skeptical if Tesla can hold the price constant after July 1 and then Jan 1, as each "cliff" will trigger customer perception of a price hike.