Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Model 3 with intent to trade for Model Y - is this crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a somewhat similar situation.... Married, 1 kid, 1 English bulldog.

Our vehicles were: 2018 Buick Enclave (owned), 2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum (leased). My Cadillac lease was due up in September, so I had to decide what to replace it with. Choices were either another XT5, or the Model 3.

I picked up my LR AWD Model 3, and actually sold the leased Caddy for a $1500 "loss" (not really due to the fed tax incentive & avoiding lease end fees) to do so ... here's why:

Realistically, I only need 1 large vehicle. When we haul others with us, or cargo, or the dog, it always goes in the Buick. In the 3 years I had the Cadillac, the dog never went inside. Only the Buick. More room for the pooch there. The extra space in the Cadillac was convenient, sure, but not necessary. The Buick does our large hauling (i.e. camping) and towing, and any trips with my parents and/or my inlaws, we need the 7-seater anyway. So the XT5 didn't fit that bill.

My biggest concern with "downsizing" was the lack of ride height. While the Model 3 is much, much lower, I've adjusted right away, and I figured out why... I drive rental cars for work every other week or so. No big deal driving a different form factor.

Now, in your case, you have 1 extra kid and 1 extra dog. The extra kid, no problem - the Model 3 seats 4 very comfortably. The dogs would be an issue, but you have a station wagon for that, so issue mostly avoided. About the only time the dog goes in the car for us is to/from the vet, so it's a non-issue. Do you travel with the dogs a lot?

As for cargo room.... you're coming out of a Clubman. From a quick Google search, the Clubman and the Model 3 have a very similar cargo capacity... except that the Model 3 has the frunk and the undertrunk as well. So I'd say you're trading same-for-same as far as space goes.... that seems to be mostly a wash.

The suggestion above to rent one via Turo is a great idea. I did that in California before I picked mine up and it just reinforced that I made the right call.

Coming out of the XT5, the Model Y looked appealing..... but I'll be honest: Now that I'm in the Model 3, that desire has waned significantly. I don't feel any urgency or need to look at the Model Y for at least 6 years. My son will be getting his drivers' license then, and maybe that's when I get a Y - sell him the Model 3, just so he has some skin in the game. Hell of a first car for a kid, but it's the safest on the road by far. And in 6 years, should be even safer.

Reactions: MXWing
Informative anecdotes. Thanks for sharing.

Also.. you paid a lot less to drive a Tesla TODAY.

Not everyone thinks about that math. :D

EXACTLY! Thank you - I'm enjoying the heck out of a fantastic vehicle, right now, in May of 2019. I was very happy with the XT5, but this is a whole different level of happy. First time since I got my license decades ago (well, that made me feel old...) that I'm looking for excuses to get in the car.

We all have a tendency to wrap around the axle and hang up over small stuff. Being honest, my wife was really opposed to the Tesla purchase. She found the display very distracting, and the lack of an instrument panel a major issue. Now, she's kinda gotten used to it. Still doesn't love it quite like I do, but the grin on her face hitting the accelerator kinda tells the story. I think she's enjoying it more than she lets on; doesn't want to admit that maybe I'm on to something here.

She is spot on about one thing though - the wiper interface needs help. Just letting me double-click the stalk button to engage the wipers full time would be an improvement.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I was in same boat as you. I decided to jump on a SR+. After getting the M3 and using it for a couple months, my wife and are happy with the size and it fits our 10month old daughter better than we expected. I figured the SR+ will have a great resale value in a couple years so we are just paying to drive it right now. At the same time, we might just end up keeping the 3 now that we like it so much....but we'll see in a few years I guess.

On the other hand for a longer ownership in MA I would actually suggest LR RWD if no need for AP.

Thanks for the suggestion. LR with AWD would be ideal here in MA, but is way out of budget. Now that the LR RWD is off-menu, I'm not seeing anything about pricing for this model. Do you know what these are going for now and do they come with partial or full premium specs?

Now, in your case, you have 1 extra kid and 1 extra dog. The extra kid, no problem - the Model 3 seats 4 very comfortably. The dogs would be an issue, but you have a station wagon for that, so issue mostly avoided. About the only time the dog goes in the car for us is to/from the vet, so it's a non-issue. Do you travel with the dogs a lot?

Short answer is yes, we take the dogs (2 border collies) with us everywhere -- to the park, hikes, day trips, running errands, etc. When my wife and I are both home, we would just take the wagon and this wouldn't be an issue. However, my wife's go-to car right now is the wagon, so when she is at work or not around, then it could be a problem. I could probably put the dogs in the back seat of the M3 with my son (my daughter is old enough to ride shotgun) if it is necessary to bring them along. Maybe they would just have to miss out on some of the family outings, which they probably wouldn't mind anyway. I don't think riding in the hatch of my Clubman is particularly fun for them...

As for cargo room.... you're coming out of a Clubman. From a quick Google search, the Clubman and the Model 3 have a very similar cargo capacity... except that the Model 3 has the frunk and the undertrunk as well. So I'd say you're trading same-for-same as far as space goes.... that seems to be mostly a wash.

It's less about the cargo space, and more about the lack of a hatch in the M3. In the Clubman, I am able to put them in the hatch although it is pretty tight for them. Definitely not an option to put them in the trunk of the M3 :eek:

I was in a similar situation. After buying a Prius 13 years ago, I swore that every car after would have to be a hatchback. The utility is just so amazing. We bought a Volt 4 years go which of course is a hatchback. When the 3 came out, it was a deal breaker because of the lack of a hatch. I figured I was going to wait another 2-3 years for the Y. I also looked around at the used Ss. But then I drove the 3, and with the big delivery push last year, I was able to get the full $7.5k tax credit. Given the prices on a decent S were about the same as a brand new 3, with less range, older tech, I got the 3. It was more than twice what I have ever spent on a car, but I have no regrets. It puts a smile on my face every time I get to drive it. It took me 3 years of nagging the wife before she was on board with the 3. And ya know what? Now she thinks we should get a second, used Tesla. She is not a car person, has never cared about any car, but she loves the 3. It's a stupid amount of money to spend on a car, but it is that awesome. If you really think you will sell the 3 in few years, I wouldn't get it, but I guess you should examine your situation and see why you really need a hatchback. After owning the 3 for 5 months, we are getting by with the standard trunk, but if I had the option, I would still prefer a hatchback.

How often do you need to bring the dogs? If it's only occasionally, you could put both kids on the 60 side of the split bench rear seat and fold down the 40 side, and then put the dogs in the trunk. The opening on the 40 side is plenty big enough for them to hang out.

Reactions: jazzer and dmurphy
I was in a similar situation. After buying a Prius 13 years ago, I swore that every car after would have to be a hatchback. The utility is just so amazing. We bought a Volt 4 years go which of course is a hatchback. When the 3 came out, it was a deal breaker because of the lack of a hatch. I figured I was going to wait another 2-3 years for the Y. I also looked around at the used Ss. But then I drove the 3, and with the big delivery push last year, I was able to get the full $7.5k tax credit. Given the prices on a decent S were about the same as a brand new 3, with less range, older tech, I got the 3. It was more than twice what I have ever spent on a car, but I have no regrets. It puts a smile on my face every time I get to drive it. It took me 3 years of nagging the wife before she was on board with the 3. And ya know what? Now she thinks we should get a second, used Tesla. She is not a car person, has never cared about any car, but she loves the 3. It's a stupid amount of money to spend on a car, but it is that awesome. If you really think you will sell the 3 in few years, I wouldn't get it, but I guess you should examine your situation and see why you really need a hatchback. After owning the 3 for 5 months, we are getting by with the standard trunk, but if I had the option, I would still prefer a hatchback.

How often do you need to bring the dogs? If it's only occasionally, you could put both kids on the 60 side of the split bench rear seat and fold down the 40 side, and then put the dogs in the trunk. The opening on the 40 side is plenty big enough for them to hang out.

I agree with everything but the stupid amount of money part. :)

Value is what you get, not what you pay.

How much is it worth being in the safest sedan ever made on top of everything else?

And if you want to know what dumb money is... it’s not getting that 35K Model 3 while you still can.

Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks for the suggestion. LR with AWD would be ideal here in MA, but is way out of budget. Now that the LR RWD is off-menu, I'm not seeing anything about pricing for this model. Do you know what these are going for now and do they come with partial or full premium specs?
IMG_2704.jpeg

Should be $44500. Full premium specs. Looks like Tesla's RWD with winter tire is very good on snow, tho of course AWD will be even better.

Short answer is yes, we take the dogs (2 border collies) with us everywhere -- to the park, hikes, day trips, running errands, etc. When my wife and I are both home, we would just take the wagon and this wouldn't be an issue. However, my wife's go-to car right now is the wagon, so when she is at work or not around, then it could be a problem. I could probably put the dogs in the back seat of the M3 with my son (my daughter is old enough to ride shotgun) if it is necessary to bring them along. Maybe they would just have to miss out on some of the family outings, which they probably wouldn't mind anyway. I don't think riding in the hatch of my Clubman is particularly fun for them...

It's less about the cargo space, and more about the lack of a hatch in the M3. In the Clubman, I am able to put them in the hatch although it is pretty tight for them. Definitely not an option to put them in the trunk of the M3 :eek:

So if you put a kid in the front seat and one in the short side of the rear seat, you could fold down the wider part and use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015IQ8MJG/

for the pups.

I hear you on transporting the dogs - putting them in the trunk is a nonstarter, but if you look at it as the wagon being primary, with the dog carrier above as the “backup” option, it might just work out!

In fact, I think I’m going to order that carrier too. We’ve been putting Buster in the back of the Enclave, but this’d be a lot more comfy for him. He’s an English bulldog so doesn’t move around much anyway. :)