Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Used Model X with 2 Accidents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
another consideration is there's the new 2020 LR Raven priced at $81,000 with FSD....351mile range....
it seems the negatives are
-no free supercharching on 'new'. (new inventory has free supercharging but with only Autopilot at $79,000)
-'premium sound' which i don't think is 'ultra high fidelity sound' quality?
-no HEPA filter

Am I correct here on these downsides of buying new 2020, or 2020 new inventory?

So buying new - ALL new Model X now come with the “ultra high fidelity” sound, cold weather package and HEPA filter. They’re not listed because they’re base features now.

You can absolutely add on FSD to any “inventory” Model X. It’s a single click button after placing the order. Then you’d get free supercharging and FSD.

Trust me; I just placed that exact order. Will pick it up next week.

D5652F07-DFDC-43CB-965C-D69B3F8240CE.jpeg

@dmurphy

I have considered the Model Y. My biggest two hesitations are:
-I sat in the model 3 and held the steering wheel, this felt somewhere on the order of a toy or so.... I mean I guess I could get used to it, but compared to the MS, MX steering wheel, it just doesnt FEEL great. That is a huge deal to me as in 'there is one consistent tactil point of contact with the machine, and I want that point of contact to be high quality. (for the same reason I am so vexed to be using this $2 computer mouse on my iMac 27".... I want to be using the 'magic mouse' and have my tactile point of contact be as high quality as possible'. The MX steering wheel is on the order of the finest luxury steering wheels I've held.
-I plan to sometimes camp in the back of the MX and it is just way bigger. Also, just in terms of interior space while driving, I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3", so I like to be able to stretch out as much as possible and have my 'seat to floor' height be as high as possible.

Also, congratulations on ordering that awesome LR MX! Thanks for clearing it up for me that HEPA and hi fi sound are standard. How recently did you order that?

Can someone let me know who is Uncle Paul? I didn't see a response by him on this thread. Is he the same as 'K3ntucky?'....(ref Paul Newman Avatar)

Regards,
Michael

@dmurphy

I have considered the Model Y. My biggest two hesitations are:
-I sat in the model 3 and held the steering wheel, this felt somewhere on the order of a toy or so.... I mean I guess I could get used to it, but compared to the MS, MX steering wheel, it just doesnt FEEL great. That is a huge deal to me as in 'there is one consistent tactil point of contact with the machine, and I want that point of contact to be high quality. (for the same reason I am so vexed to be using this $2 computer mouse on my iMac 27".... I want to be using the 'magic mouse' and have my tactile point of contact be as high quality as possible'. The MX steering wheel is on the order of the finest luxury steering wheels I've held.
-I plan to sometimes camp in the back of the MX and it is just way bigger. Also, just in terms of interior space while driving, I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3", so I like to be able to stretch out as much as possible and have my 'seat to floor' height be as high as possible.

Also, congratulations on ordering that awesome LR MX! Thanks for clearing it up for me that HEPA and hi fi sound are standard. How recently did you order that?

Can someone let me know who is Uncle Paul? I didn't see a response by him on this thread. Is he the same as 'K3ntucky?'....(ref Paul Newman Avatar)

Regards,
Michael

Tactile interfaces are grossly underrated!! You'll laugh, but I've got a very similar 5K iMac... use that gorgeous Magic Mouse.... and a 1988-era IBM Model M keyboard. So I know exactly what you mean about feel.

That said - I drive a Model 3 today and I rather like the wheel. My prior Cadillac probably had a nicer one, but I have no gripes with the feel on the 3. It's less lux and more sport - but that's the entire Model 3 in a nutshell. The Cadillac was more lux all around, but nothing drives like a Tesla!

Your MX reasons make total sense to me - was just throwing the Y out there as a thought.

We're replacing a Buick Enclave with the MX - I'd say they're probably similar in the "luxury" department. Buick has done a fantastic job moving up market, but not trying to be ultra-lux class. It was a fine vehicle, but had $21k in repairs after a deer hit, and now I'm starting to chase gremlins.... time to unload it. We decided to never buy another gasoline vehicle, so the MX was pretty much the only choice. Only viable option with 3 rows.

We just ordered the MX a week ago (6/11) - scheduled pickup is 6/24. Super excited!

The LR+ is a much better buy than it used to be ... the cost has come way down, and so many of the extras (HEPA, cold weather, air ultra-fi audio, etc.) are all bundled in now. The only "uplift" for us was the 6-seater... and, of course, FSD. I have FSD on the Model 3 and couldn't go backwards now!

Tactile interfaces are grossly underrated!! You'll laugh, but I've got a very similar 5K iMac... use that gorgeous Magic Mouse.... and a 1988-era IBM Model M keyboard. So I know exactly what you mean about feel.

That said - I drive a Model 3 today and I rather like the wheel. My prior Cadillac probably had a nicer one, but I have no gripes with the feel on the 3. It's less lux and more sport - but that's the entire Model 3 in a nutshell. The Cadillac was more lux all around, but nothing drives like a Tesla!

Your MX reasons make total sense to me - was just throwing the Y out there as a thought.

We're replacing a Buick Enclave with the MX - I'd say they're probably similar in the "luxury" department. Buick has done a fantastic job moving up market, but not trying to be ultra-lux class. It was a fine vehicle, but had $21k in repairs after a deer hit, and now I'm starting to chase gremlins.... time to unload it. We decided to never buy another gasoline vehicle, so the MX was pretty much the only choice. Only viable option with 3 rows.

We just ordered the MX a week ago (6/11) - scheduled pickup is 6/24. Super excited!

The LR+ is a much better buy than it used to be ... the cost has come way down, and so many of the extras (HEPA, cold weather, air ultra-fi audio, etc.) are all bundled in now. The only "uplift" for us was the 6-seater... and, of course, FSD. I have FSD on the Model 3 and couldn't go backwards now!

HAHAHA we are both using a 5K iMac.... ive got a mid 2015 with 3.3 I% and 32 GB ram.....bought it from 'Fleetwood MacBooks' on eBay...outstanding price and reviews....but they ship it with a mouse and keyboard that must cost them $8 altogether..... I've been meaning to order a Magic Mouse for like 1 month now...

Did you buy 'new inventory'? Can you let me know what price you bought at?

Its looking like these two options are really good:

1. New inventory with 351 mile range, FSD. $84,000. 2020 Model X | Tesla
2. Used inventory with 295 mile range, FSD , $68,000 2017 Model X | Tesla

both with all the perks.....

Im thinking the next step is to decide what state I will register it in....I am sort of a nomad, so I think I can register in any state I wish...gotta check the requirements for registration...I'm drawn to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Oregon in terms of landscapes and plan to make a roaddtrip for like 2 months in this Model X....so I might just register it in one of those states....then I gotta call insurance companies and get some quotes....

Regards,
Michael

I wouldn't worry about the 2 accidents, but I would worry about that price.. that's not a deal at all. Plus, there is some lost value in accidents. I'd say around 69k, it's worthwhile looking at

If you intend to keep the car for a number of years, this kind of accident history is really just an excuse to get the car at a slightly reduced price. It should have no actual effect on the usability or safety of the car.

Having said that, the asking price seems high, so your first task should be to price out a new X and then deduct some depreciation for age, mileage, and for the accidents.

HAHAHA we are both using a 5K iMac.... ive got a mid 2015 with 3.3 I% and 32 GB ram.....bought it from 'Fleetwood MacBooks' on eBay...outstanding price and reviews....but they ship it with a mouse and keyboard that must cost them $8 altogether..... I've been meaning to order a Magic Mouse for like 1 month now...

Did you buy 'new inventory'? Can you let me know what price you bought at?

Its looking like these two options are really good:

1. New inventory with 351 mile range, FSD. $84,000. 2020 Model X | Tesla
2. Used inventory with 295 mile range, FSD , $68,000 2017 Model X | Tesla

both with all the perks.....

Im thinking the next step is to decide what state I will register it in....I am sort of a nomad, so I think I can register in any state I wish...gotta check the requirements for registration...I'm drawn to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Oregon in terms of landscapes and plan to make a roaddtrip for like 2 months in this Model X....so I might just register it in one of those states....then I gotta call insurance companies and get some quotes....

Careful with the Magic Mouse - it'll ruin you for anything else. The gesture support on it is sublime. Like the best of a mouse and trackpad, all in one.

So we purchased new inventory. Here's one currently in inventory with our exact configuration & pricing ...
2020 Model X | Tesla
After ordering, I modified the reservation to add FSD. Was truly just two mouse clicks. We wanted the 6-seater, so that was a starting point. Beyond that - no options. All our cars are white, so that's included. We prefer the black interior, so that saved some bucks - and you couldn't pay me to take the 22" wheels. That's kinda, uh, about it for options on Model X.

We're here on the eastern seaboard in NJ - probably the best state in the Union to buy a Tesla. We have some fantastic service centers (both Paramus & Springfield get rave reviews), and there's no sales tax on EVs here. Even better - if you buy a new EV for $55k or less (amazing - the Model 3 Performance is now $54,990) ... there's a $5k rebate. Imagine that - Model 3 Performance for $49,990, brand new, out the door, after taxes. The Model 3 SR+ is $32,990 now out the door. Cheaper than a moderately-equipped Altima. Fantastic deal.

That '17 is a tough call. It's fully loaded, but has the older drivetrain and battery. Shorter warranty, and possibly MCU1 (?? Not sure.) Tough call.

Careful with the Magic Mouse - it'll ruin you for anything else. The gesture support on it is sublime. Like the best of a mouse and trackpad, all in one.

So we purchased new inventory. Here's one currently in inventory with our exact configuration & pricing ...
2020 Model X | Tesla
After ordering, I modified the reservation to add FSD. Was truly just two mouse clicks. We wanted the 6-seater, so that was a starting point. Beyond that - no options. All our cars are white, so that's included. We prefer the black interior, so that saved some bucks - and you couldn't pay me to take the 22" wheels. That's kinda, uh, about it for options on Model X.

We're here on the eastern seaboard in NJ - probably the best state in the Union to buy a Tesla. We have some fantastic service centers (both Paramus & Springfield get rave reviews), and there's no sales tax on EVs here. Even better - if you buy a new EV for $55k or less (amazing - the Model 3 Performance is now $54,990) ... there's a $5k rebate. Imagine that - Model 3 Performance for $49,990, brand new, out the door, after taxes. The Model 3 SR+ is $32,990 now out the door. Cheaper than a moderately-equipped Altima. Fantastic deal.

That '17 is a tough call. It's fully loaded, but has the older drivetrain and battery. Shorter warranty, and possibly MCU1 (?? Not sure.) Tough call.

WOW! $5k rebate and no taxes!? Thats amazing. Looks like the Model Y Performance can almost squeeze in there, but not quite yet....

$49,990 is a serious steal for after taxes model 3 performance..... anything ICE to even begin to touch the performance is going to run $90,000+......

What are the requirements to buy a car and register it in NJ? Do you have to have a home there and utility bills?

To me it seems like a no brainer to do the registration, plus insurance in a low population, no sales tax state (lower for insurance rates if in a low population state). I am going to be traveling around the country so I won't have ONE home bas.

Regards,
Michael

WOW! $5k rebate and no taxes!? Thats amazing. Looks like the Model Y Performance can almost squeeze in there, but not quite yet....

$49,990 is a serious steal for after taxes model 3 performance..... anything ICE to even begin to touch the performance is going to run $90,000+......

What are the requirements to buy a car and register it in NJ? Do you have to have a home there and utility bills?

To me it seems like a no brainer to do the registration, plus insurance in a low population, no sales tax state (lower for insurance rates if in a low population state). I am going to be traveling around the country so I won't have ONE home bas.

Yep - $5k rebate, no taxes and plenty of chargers, with lots more on the way. The state will be starting a home charging rebate program soon also - $500 towards your home charging infrastructure. I mean, $49,990 for a M3P is about the lowest cost performance car on the planet.

So here are the program details: Home | Charge Up New Jersey

The T&C's for the rebate (which of course doesn't apply to the X - definitely more than $55k) are here: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

But in a nutshell, you need residency here for several years after purchase to qualify, else they make you pay it back.

I wouldn't call NJ a low insurance or low population state... it's 47th in area, but 11th in population. A very interesting, unique place - everything from awful-industrial (what most people think of) to beaches to mountains to forestry to suburban (where I am!) to farmland - all within an hours' drive of each other.

It's pretty wild. I'm about 30 miles due west of NYC; if I put my drone up, I can see forestry, rolling hills and Manhattan in the background on a clear day. Best of all worlds - I can visit NYC, catch a broadway show, a world class meal and then get in my Tesla and have it drive me back home less than an hour away, surrounded by trees and wildlife. Pretty nice thing ....

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yep - $5k rebate, no taxes and plenty of chargers, with lots more on the way. The state will be starting a home charging rebate program soon also - $500 towards your home charging infrastructure. I mean, $49,990 for a M3P is about the lowest cost performance car on the planet.

So here are the program details: Home | Charge Up New Jersey

The T&C's for the rebate (which of course doesn't apply to the X - definitely more than $55k) are here: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

But in a nutshell, you need residency here for several years after purchase to qualify, else they make you pay it back.

I wouldn't call NJ a low insurance or low population state... it's 47th in area, but 11th in population. A very interesting, unique place - everything from awful-industrial (what most people think of) to beaches to mountains to forestry to suburban (where I am!) to farmland - all within an hours' drive of each other.

It's pretty wild. I'm about 30 miles due west of NYC; if I put my drone up, I can see forestry, rolling hills and Manhattan in the background on a clear day. Best of all worlds - I can visit NYC, catch a broadway show, a world class meal and then get in my Tesla and have it drive me back home less than an hour away, surrounded by trees and wildlife. Pretty nice thing ....

That sounds like a nice balance of life. I was just talking to someone yesterday about Broadway shows in NYC. I saw one in my life, it really blew me away. I have always wanted to see more. Nice to be able to get into the mix and hop right back out!

My guess is that after July 1st some prices will come down. There's not much inventory that is worth buying right now for a good price but Tesla releases and gem here and there so keep checking.

It is looking like the Used and New inventory does not have ANY good deals right now.

I am guessing that the best deals came in the June 10-20 timeframe...because cars sold in this timeframe would allow a high probabilty of delivery before July 1..... counting revenue towards Q2...... so after June 20 there is not much incentive to offer great prices as before..... what do you think?

worth saying that the advice of: "wait until the end of the month". may, in the future, be better stated as 'wait until 10 days before the end of the month'.

Reason being: depending on how fast the customer is, it would take 5-15 days between the $100 deposit and vehicle delivery.....so if Tesla is giving discounts to try to sell more units before quarter end... those discounts would only be offered until about 10-15 days before quarter end.....to provide themselves with cushion for slow customers....

Anyone agree with that logic?