Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Used Model X with 2 Accidents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I am new here and seeking some wisdom before making a big purchase. I've been reading some threads here and seeing some really informed people are in this community.

I must decide today or tomorrow if I am going to order a 2017 MX, 100D, Performance, FSD, white on white, folding 2nd row, 22" black wheels.....

$84,000 direct from Tesla Used Website
4 Year, 50,000 mile warranty
30,000 miles
"previously repaired"

Has 2 accidents on the carfax, both front end, both had no airbags deployed... One was hitting a parked car....

Is this a "GO" or a "NO GO"?

I am pretty confident there will be no frame damage b/c of the Tesla certification/inspection. My main concern is 'will i be able to sell it?'

I am trying to get into the loop of resources for buying a used Model X. So any references to helpful posts, or 'non obvious marketplaces' besides cars.com and Tesla.com woudl be helpful.

I read in a post here that having an 'owner advisor' is helpful.... what exactly is that?

I'd like to make sure I do this the smart way, and I am thinking that my target price would be like $75,000 for the above car, but with no accidents..... I doubt I could find that from Tesla with the 4yr 50,000 mile warranty, but I could probably get that on the private market?

Thanks in advance for your help. Glad to be here.

Regards,
Michael

Hello All,

I am new here and seeking some wisdom before making a big purchase. I've been reading some threads here and seeing some really informed people are in this community.

I must decide today or tomorrow if I am going to order a 2017 MX, 100D, Performance, FSD, white on white, folding 2nd row, 22" black wheels.....

$84,000 direct from Tesla Used Website
4 Year, 50,000 mile warranty
30,000 miles
"previously repaired"

Has 2 accidents on the carfax, both front end, both had no airbags deployed... One was hitting a parked car....

Is this a "GO" or a "NO GO"?

I am pretty confident there will be no frame damage b/c of the Tesla certification/inspection. My main concern is 'will i be able to sell it?'

I am trying to get into the loop of resources for buying a used Model X. So any references to helpful posts, or 'non obvious marketplaces' besides cars.com and Tesla.com woudl be helpful.

I read in a post here that having an 'owner advisor' is helpful.... what exactly is that?

I'd like to make sure I do this the smart way, and I am thinking that my target price would be like $75,000 for the above car, but with no accidents..... I doubt I could find that from Tesla with the 4yr 50,000 mile warranty, but I could probably get that on the private market?

Thanks in advance for your help. Glad to be here.

Regards,
Michael

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

Ah! And wait at least until the end of this month.

This has been really helpful.

---
@Silicon Desert

I was thinking the same thing.

---

@T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

This website is great! Why is it best to wait until the end of the month?

----

@dirkbike1

That's fiscally sound.

Because Tesla usually lowers the prices of some cars (and mostly used cars) by the end of each month and especially at the end of each quarter.

And i'm with Uncle Paul on this, for that price ($ 84.000) you could get a brand new Long Range + Model X!!!

Reactions: E Dizzle
I wouldn't worry about the 2 accidents, but I would worry about that price.. that's not a deal at all. Plus, there is some lost value in accidents. I'd say around 69k, it's worthwhile looking at

As someone who just sold a (non-Tesla) vehicle with accident damage and airbag deployment.... I'd even say $69k is generous right now. It's a very soft used market out there for accident-free vehicles. With accidents? Almost impossible. I ended up selling to a "buy here pay here" place because the branded dealerships all gave me a "no thanks, not even as a trade" ...

Not a good market to be a used seller. As a buyer, I'd expect that softness to be translate into a much better deal than $84k.

Reactions: hcdavis3
One was hitting a parked car....

That right there is a no go for me. Hitting a park car can be due to driving while impaired, careless driving, being a bad driver, etc. It just indicates that the previous owner might not have taken care of the car. The second front end accident tells me that this might've been treated as a bumper car.

That being said, not all accidents are that bad. I was rear ended while stopped at a red light. Needed a rear bumper cover and shows up as an accident. Animals are unpredictable, and some situations are unavoidable. A parked car? At that price? I'll pass..

An "Owner Advisor" or "OA" is a Tesla sales person. They're the one who sells you the car.

I think the price alone makes it a "no go". I bought a new inventory P100D from Tesla last year for less that had only 10K miles and "previously repaired" lift gate damage. It was significantly discounted and I still got the tax credit. I'd expect that price to be ~$20K lower personally.

I have been looking a bit deeper and found a couple that look like a better deal..... using the EV-CPO tool really helps.

Do either of these sound like steals? Think its still better to wait until the end of the month?

---------
Option #1

2017 MX 100D Long Range, FSD
HEPA
Free Supercharging
Hi Fi sound
5 Seat Interior
Midnight Silver Metallic w/ white inside
41,000 miles , 4yr/50,000 Warranty
$68,900

2017 Model X | Tesla

--------

Option #2

wait until the end of the month

---------

In some way I feel like I wouldn't be totally happy with anything other than a White or Gray, P100D, with a light color interior. I'd really like to have free supercharging but maybe this asking too much. I'd really like to have all the above for $75,000 or less, but maybe I'm asking too much.

I feel that if I wait until the end of the month, and keep a close eye on EV-CPO, I might be able to pull this off.

Any recommendations for ways to find private sellers? Does the unlimited free supercharging transfer over reliably?

Thanks for all the great help guys!

Regards,
Michael

Reactions: EV-CPO
Thanks @Kentucky3. Im a huge fan of Paul Newman. What's your favorite of his movies?

@Plan B,

What do you mean by 'hard pass'?

-----

another consideration is there's the new 2020 LR Raven priced at $81,000 with FSD....351mile range....
it seems the negatives are
-no free supercharching on 'new'. (new inventory has free supercharging but with only Autopilot at $79,000)
-'premium sound' which i don't think is 'ultra high fidelity sound' quality?
-no HEPA filter

Am I correct here on these downsides of buying new 2020, or 2020 new inventory?

I have been looking a bit deeper and found a couple that look like a better deal..... using the EV-CPO tool really helps.

Do either of these sound like steals? Think its still better to wait until the end of the month?

So let me ask this ... in all 100% seriousness.

If you're looking at 5-seat configurations... have you considered a Model Y Performance? It's not quite as quick as the X, but still zippy as hell... and at least $20k cheaper for a brand new vehicle.

Reactions: EV-CPO
Sounds pricey. Most people that have the performance over time seem to question the value of the extra price for day to day driving. I bet you could get a much lower price on a non-performance edition and not give up too much performance.

Also, @Uncle Paul's comment is correct.

Those people don’t appreciate the literal headaches from the instant acceleration.

In all seriousness, I agree. How often do you plan on doing this?
Login • Instagram
(MXP vs Alfa)

And then, I should also state that the Non-Performance model is capable of still matching the Alfa, just not while towing another Alfa.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
Those people don’t appreciate the literal headaches from the instant acceleration.

Login • Instagram
(MXP vs Alfa)

And then, I should also state that the Non-Performance model is capable of still matching the Alfa, just not while towing another Alfa.

You like to be "behind you"...not really sure thats something to brag about.

Login • Instagram
(MXP vs Alfa)

Is that Alfa farting? Or is that what ICE cars sounds like now. Been so long since I drove one I have forgotten.

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle