Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Be Ware: RPM Tesla Cubby

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Model S & X Cubby Drawer with Molded Carbon Fiber Front from RPM a few weeks ago. I was quite excited to make use of the unused cubby under my 2018 Model S. When it arrived today I opened it like Ralphie opened his Red Rider BB gun with the compass in the stock. To my chagrin it was not what I expected from a "molded carbon fiber" front. It was a sticker, and it was peeling off -Granted they assure me the sticker is real carbon fiber. Further more I ordered it with a Tesla logo in the center - well technically i just ordered it with a logo, but there was an attempt to put it near the center.

I may be too harsh in my expectations, but this is a premium price for a product that is from what I would have considered a premium company. Surely there are some teens that would put this in their first car that they paid $1500 for, but as I told them I wouldn't put this in a Geo much less my Tesla.

To their credit they argued a lot of semantics, but they are accepting the return.

What do you think AITA?

20230109_173849.jpg

20230109_180209.jpg

20230109_180226.jpg

20230109_180251.jpg
20230109_173858.jpg

More importantly @TheDestroyer , is that a MÄNNKITCHEN Pepper Cannon in the background? I've been trying to justify buying one :)
Sure looks like a cannon to me. Definitely get one. It requires a little more effort to grind, but it just pours pepper and I don't accidentally open the loading door while cranking. I upgraded from a Unicorn I've used for the past 20 years and it's no contest. The Unicorn feels like a toy in comparison.

And to be on topic, I guess I wouldn't be surprised that it's just a stick on CF applique. RPM even sells the applique (sticker) as an "upgrade" to other cubbies. Still, it's misleading to act like it's anything but a stick on - and not stuck very well at that. The out of place logo is just salt in the wound.

It appears that RPM and EVamped use the same supplier for their drawers. RPM is a little less expensive, and EVamped doesn't offer a CF applique. FWIW, I had a cubby from EVamped in my 2015 since 2019 and I've not had any problems with it, though it is just matte black. I put one (oak) in my 2019 as well. Neither feels like a high end interior piece, but the handle is indeed metal (important) and they look presentable and OEM when stowed. I think a factory one would be spring loaded on rails without a handle, kind of like the sliding center console lid, but we're beyond that now.

Reactions: pete8314
Sure looks like a cannon to me. Definitely get one. It requires a little more effort to grind, but it just pours pepper and I don't accidentally open the loading door while cranking. I upgraded from a Unicorn I've used for the past 20 years and it's no contest. The Unicorn feels like a toy in comparison.

And to be on topic, I guess I wouldn't be surprised that it's just a stick on CF applique. RPM even sells the applique (sticker) as an "upgrade" to other cubbies. Still, it's misleading to act like it's anything but a stick on - and not stuck very well at that. The out of place logo is just salt in the wound.

It appears that RPM and EVamped use the same supplier for their drawers. RPM is a little less expensive, and EVamped doesn't offer a CF applique. FWIW, I had a cubby from EVamped in my 2015 since 2019 and I've not had any problems with it, though it is just matte black. I put one (oak) in my 2019 as well. Neither feels like a high end interior piece, but the handle is indeed metal (important) and they look presentable and OEM when stowed. I think a factory one would be spring loaded on rails without a handle, kind of like the sliding center console lid, but we're beyond that now.
Again to their credit they do mention that it may come off some in high heat, and say it will go back on easily. That said "Molded Carbon Fiber" suggests it is a hard formed front that is applied. This is basically carbon weave that they put clear vinyl over. Not sure what is "molded" about it. I'd hope they dont sell other carbon fiber items this way. Could you imagine getting a wing or frunk lid and it was a sticker and not made of carbon fiber.

90% of my issue is I was hoodwinked into thinking it was more than it was by the description and videos. If they were clear and honest about what the product was - a cheap amazon item sold a a premium price - I would have never purchased it or just got the one on amazon for $20.

The other 10% does reside in just how little effort they actually did to put the lipstick on this pig.
Screenshot 2023-01-11 092050.jpg

Just FYI, EVamped now offers a graphite handle for the drawer. While the CF from EVamped is just vinyl, it looks way better than RPM garbage. Which I just put in my new X-Plaid. Looks and works great.