Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the demo cars are unregistered manufacturer vehicles, just as a new car would be. In fact I believe if someone buys a Tesla, registers it, uses it for a day, and give sit back to Tesla for whatever reason, it is then technically a used car as it has been registered to someone before. This would also make the car ineligible for the $7,500 rebate.

That is typically how it works. Here in Michigan though Tesla can't sell cars and can't get dealer plates. So they might have had to purchase and register them to the company to get test drive vehicles.

If anyone happens to go by Somerset, take a look please.

That is typically how it works. Here in Michigan though Tesla can't sell cars and can't get dealer plates. So they might have had to purchase and register them to the company to get test drive vehicles.

If anyone happens to go by Somerset, take a look please.

I think the plates matter is trivial. I have seen many demonstration models at our local Tesla store with California tags. As long as the car is registered in a state and has insurance, I think the car is good to go in all states.

I wonder if Tesla can come up with a CPO program for vehicles that are in great condition. This way they can sell beaten up cars "as is" and cars in great condition under the CPO program so customers know what to expect.

This is something I just can't understand... They let any college kid with a valid drivers license test drive a X P100D, but if you actually want to give them money, they won't let you test drive the CPO? I get that time is money, but this is beyond ridiculous.

If a used car salesman wouldn't let you drive a used car before buying it, you would stay far away from that car, no matter how good the deal seems, but this is a corporate policy!

It is a true testament to how popular their cars are, that they still manage to sell CPOs. The idea behind direct sales was to improve on the dealership experience, not to become the biggest bully on the playground.

I can't understand this either. They would let dozens of people drive that same car home as a Tesla loaner but the person who is about to buy the car essentially can't inspect or touch the car before purchase? They barely share photos of the actual car with you as you need to contact them each time for photos and sometimes you never even receive the photos you requested or hear back.

They've clearly established here a a way to sell cars that is worse than the most unscrupulous and the shadiest car dealer. So much for direct sales being better for customers and an improvement on the dealership experience. No dealer I know of would treat customers so badly by selling cars "as is" without fully disclosing the condition of the car being sold. :(

Reactions: R.S
Given how trashed and damaged some of the CPO cars are, I wonder whatever happens to lease returns of cars that in decent shape?

Leases have strict criteria where they charge for damage or excess wear and tear so most people who lease are still very careful of the cars. Just wondering whatever happens to those cars...

Given how trashed and damaged some of the CPO cars are, I wonder whatever happens to lease returns of cars that in decent shape?

Leases have strict criteria where they charge for damage or excess wear and tear so most people who lease are still very careful of the cars. Just wondering whatever happens to those cars...

Maybe the lease returns are put in the service loaner rental fleet, where they are marred due to abuse by people who have no respect or value for something that does not belong to them. I've seen threads by some customers who were given rental loaners that are being sold as CPO cars at that time based on the VIN.

Just took delivery of my 2015 black/black P85D today in Los Angeles. Car had 44k miles on it and was in pristine condition. All wheels perfect (only 19's) with no scratches and brand new tires. Not a single dent or scratch on the car other than a few typical rock chips on the front bumper/hood. Leather and interior was also in perfect condition and not at all worn with no stains or blemishes anywhere. Additionally, it was clear the car had been freshly waxed as I could see a bit of residual wax on a few of the tesla symbols. Far exceeded expectations based on all I had heard and that I also got the cheapest priced p85d that was listed by almost $10k. Was worried for the price it would be trashed but it was perfect. Very happy with how it all turned out

• Love
Reactions: Don TLR and P85_DA
Just took delivery of my 2015 black/black P85D today in Los Angeles. Car had 44k miles on it and was in pristine condition. All wheels perfect (only 19's) with no scratches and brand new tires. Not a single dent or scratch on the car other than a few typical rock chips on the front bumper/hood. Leather and interior was also in perfect condition and not at all worn with no stains or blemishes anywhere. Additionally, it was clear the car had been freshly waxed as I could see a bit of residual wax on a few of the tesla symbols. Far exceeded expectations based on all I had heard and that I also got the cheapest priced p85d that was listed by almost $10k. Was worried for the price it would be trashed but it was perfect. Very happy with how it all turned out

Sounds great, what was the cost of one in this nice a condition? If you don't mind saying..

This CPO saga has gone on for a year now. Its getting worse by the day. I have posted what found over a year ago.
1. I cant see anyone paying for a car without at least seeing it? Hopefully driving it
2. CPO cars cost a lot more than cars on the strret for sale.
3. I cant see a financial firm agreeing to finance a car blind.
I found several cars on the net for sale. I called Fremont asked for history. I was lucky, in January 2017 , they were very willing to tell me history. I finally settled on a car in Atlanta, got a blank check, flew up , sat down and made a deal.
After reading hundreds of post, CPO program has gone really bad. Tesla management needs to get this fixed, OR, buyers will be alerted on here and stop buying cars they dont get to see or drive. Im 75, never heard of this in my life.

Reactions: PhilDavid
This CPO saga has gone on for a year now. Its getting worse by the day. I have posted what found over a year ago.
1. I cant see anyone paying for a car without at least seeing it? Hopefully driving it
2. CPO cars cost a lot more than cars on the strret for sale.
3. I cant see a financial firm agreeing to finance a car blind.
I found several cars on the net for sale. I called Fremont asked for history. I was lucky, in January 2017 , they were very willing to tell me history. I finally settled on a car in Atlanta, got a blank check, flew up , sat down and made a deal.
After reading hundreds of post, CPO program has gone really bad. Tesla management needs to get this fixed, OR, buyers will be alerted on here and stop buying cars they dont get to see or drive. Im 75, never heard of this in my life.

I agree they should fix this. The problem is they are delivering cars is both extremes with some cars in immaculate condition and others badly beaten up and you have no idea what they are selling. Worse yet, they don't disclose the condition of the car on the listing or show actual photos, essentially concealing the state of cars with damage. The only way to get photos is to contact them and they sometimes respond with photos and other times you get no reply.

We absolutely would not buy a used car without seeing the condition it is in as doing so would be irresponsible. The least expensive P85D I see for sale is in the low 50s and the least expensive P85D CPO I see for sale is about 60 so there is certainly a price premium in CPO vehicles that is not represented in any peace of mind they offer in expecting a car that is undamaged.

I was at Jacksonville SC yesterday. They have about 50 3s to prepare for delivery. I can tell you all the old S , X were not getting readed.
If all SCs are jammed with 3s to deliver, you wont see any clean, perfect CPOs anytime soon.
They need to get paid for the 3s fast to turn profit now.

After cleaning up the cars they are covered here in AZ, this was a few weeks ago, yesterday this aisle was filled with M3's side by side and front to back.
IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg

Reactions: jboles
Hi there, i am not a Tesla owner, i am just a fan and i've been looking up Tesla's practices and overall consumer experience because of possible future investment into a Tesla (and when there are more than 1 superchargers in my country lol).
Tbh, i think you got a pretty good car.
The only thing i see as a major issue is the dirty interior.
Trunk/frunk can be cleaned in 30 minutes and look like new, i wouldn't really worry about that. I bought a used car that had rear window smashed previously and then cut myself because the glass was in the trunk buried under the clotch trim, so i think you're still good. Did Tesla replace the dirty trim or you cleaned it or something? Is it common experience with Tesla CPOs? Also for the chipped paint, my car's hood look like it was hit with a M16 compared to your Tesla, that's just normal damage. If it was 1/2" big and dented, i would worry, but that chip is really tiny and i doubt anyone will see that from more than a couple feet.
Thanks a lot

Reactions: rjscoder
So it has now been over 5 months since the OP originally created this thread documenting the awful experience in buying a CPO car.

Has anything about buying a Tesla CPO car improved or made better since then?

From photos of some of the CPO cars I have seen, it seems like the condition of some of the cars offered for sale is even worse than it was. I've seen some CPO cars offered for sale with holes in the bumper and damage all around the car.