Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying 2015 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might not care, but be aware that 2015 cars have HW1 autopilot hardware and are limited to AP1 functionality. That includes TACC, Auto Lane Change, Autosteer, regular (not enhanced) Summon, and Autopark. No FSD. If the car doesn’t already have the AP1 option, I don’t know if you get all of that if you add it now.

Reactions: muitec
You might not care, but be aware that 2015 cars have HW1 autopilot hardware and are limited to AP1 functionality. That includes TACC, Auto Lane Change, Autosteer, regular (not enhanced) Summon, and Autopark. No FSD. If the car doesn’t already have the AP1 option, I don’t know if you get all of that if you add it now.
Wow! AP1, TACC, FSD, etc… I’ll have to ask about them …

Wondering if there is a way to find what options the car has? Maybe the VIN?
You cannot from the VIN.
Best way is on the main screen to check a couple of screens.
On the software tab, underneath the VIN you will see a in blue a link that says Additional vehicle information.
Click on that link and it will take you to a screen that will least the key items. It will show the Infotainment processor. If it says NVIDIA Tegra, then it still has the original AP1 MCU. If it says something like Intel ATOM, then the car has already been upgraded to AP2. You'll motor type listed. If it's a D, you'lls see front as Inducation and rear as Induction Small. If it's a performance version, then the rear motor should say something like Induction Large.

You can then go to the Drivers Assistance screen and you should see the settings for auto lane change, etc. If you have the ability to enable auto lane change, then it has Autopilot activiated which should transfer with the car.

If AP1 is enabled, then you have the full feature set for TACC, highway lane keeping (autosteer), and basic summon (will pull the car straight forward or rearward up to about 20 feet). Those came as a bundled set.

If Autopilot is not been purchased, then you will have basic cruise control (no radar assist, traffic aware cruise).

I have a mid-2016 'refresh' MS90D that I've owned since I purchased it new at the end of June 2016. I have about 63k miles on it at the moment. AP1 is great for long range road trips. Yeah, it doesn;t have fancy automatically take exits, recognize stop signs/lights, but great for long range trips.

You cannot from the VIN.
Best way is on the main screen to check a couple of screens.
On the software tab, underneath the VIN you will see a in blue a link that says Additional vehicle information.
Click on that link and it will take you to a screen that will least the key items. It will show the Infotainment processor. If it says NVIDIA Tegra, then it still has the original AP1 MCU. If it says something like Intel ATOM, then the car has already been upgraded to AP2. You'll motor type listed. If it's a D, you'lls see front as Inducation and rear as Induction Small. If it's a performance version, then the rear motor should say something like Induction Large.

You can then go to the Drivers Assistance screen and you should see the settings for auto lane change, etc. If you have the ability to enable auto lane change, then it has Autopilot activiated which should transfer with the car.

If AP1 is enabled, then you have the full feature set for TACC, highway lane keeping (autosteer), and basic summon (will pull the car straight forward or rearward up to about 20 feet). Those came as a bundled set.

If Autopilot is not been purchased, then you will have basic cruise control (no radar assist, traffic aware cruise).

I have a mid-2016 'refresh' MS90D that I've owned since I purchased it new at the end of June 2016. I have about 63k miles on it at the moment. AP1 is great for long range road trips. Yeah, it doesn;t have fancy automatically take exits, recognize stop signs/lights, but great for long range trips.
@muitec - Just to avoid any further confusion, I made a typo and want to clarify one comment I made.

I stated that the Software -> Additional vehicle information screen will give you the details of the Infotainment processor.

My reference to NVIDIA Tegra should have stated that this means the care still has the MCU1 media control unit. I made an unfortunate typo when I referenced this as AP1 and not MCU1. It's the media control unit.

A 2015 will only have the AP1, or MobileEye autopilot system. It effectively cannot be upgraded to AP2 which is the 8 camera system introduced in Oct 2016.

It it does have the MCU2 upgrade to the Infotainment processor then this will give you must faster response of the center console, functional browser, and the ability to stream video with latest software. However, one thing that might have been lost is an actual FM radio, unless the owner paid the extra $500 to get the added radio kit.

Reactions: muitec