Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2017 X 90D, any suggestion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the Model X refreshing, maybe it's good time to buy a used one. I live in Vancouver BC, and found some used ones on Tesla's website, they only offer one year warranty, of course 4 more years for the powertrain. Is there any particular things I should look into? Couple questions for now:

1,I believe the 2017 model come with HW 2.5, is that right?
2, How durable is the air suspension? anything should I check?
3, Should I ask Tesla for fully charged it to 100% to check the battery degradation?
4, I am still debating this with the 2021 Y, however I am not a big fan of the interior of Y, but totally fine with the size.

New to Tesla, any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Model should be fine also fully charging to estimate battery health. However only scan my Tesla will reveal the true state of health.

Suspension is usually ok, if you have some warranty the dreaded issue with the drive train is also a non issue.

Hw 2 or 2.5 - not sure, but with an mcu upgrade for around 1500 you even get an upgrade to hw3. I'd go that route since mcu 1 is dead slow in comparison.

Model should be fine also fully charging to estimate battery health. However only scan my Tesla will reveal the true state of health.

Suspension is usually ok, if you have some warranty the dreaded issue with the drive train is also a non issue.

Hw 2 or 2.5 - not sure, but with an mcu upgrade for around 1500 you even get an upgrade to hw3. I'd go that route since mcu 1 is dead slow in comparison.
Awesome, thanks a lot. I am pretty sure the 2017X come with MCU 1, so I'll see how much cost for upgrade to 2 then. If I am not satisfied with it, I might wait for the refresh Y.

Reactions: r0xx0r
After the Model X refreshing, maybe it's good time to buy a used one. I live in Vancouver BC, and found some used ones on Tesla's website, they only offer one year warranty, of course 4 more years for the powertrain. Is there any particular things I should look into? Couple questions for now:

1,I believe the 2017 model come with HW 2.5, is that right?
2, How durable is the air suspension? anything should I check?
3, Should I ask Tesla for fully charged it to 100% to check the battery degradation?
4, I am still debating this with the 2021 Y, however I am not a big fan of the interior of Y, but totally fine with the size.

New to Tesla, any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Only 2017 built from August through December would have HW2.5. However, if you buy FSD, Tesla will upgrade HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3. The color on some of the cameras is slightly different between 2 and 2.5 but you can swap those out yourself, if desired.

All 2017 would have MCU1 and potential eMMC problems. With the recent recall, the eMMC will be replaced for free or you can upgrade to MCU2 for $1500 US and have all the same computing functionality as a late 2020 Model X (Netflix/Youtube, Sentry mode recording on 4 cameras, dash cam, etc.) I believe used 2017 vehicles should still have lifetime premium connectivity included.

For the battery, you could see if they could plug it in and just drag the slider all the way to 100%. That is a quick way of seeing how much it can still charge to.

We've never had any air suspension issues with the three Teslas that we've purchased that included it.

Only 2017 built from August through December would have HW2.5. However, if you buy FSD, Tesla will upgrade HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3. The color on some of the cameras is slightly different between 2 and 2.5 but you can swap those out yourself, if desired.

All 2017 would have MCU1 and potential eMMC problems. With the recent recall, the eMMC will be replaced for free or you can upgrade to MCU2 for $1500 US and have all the same computing functionality as a late 2020 Model X (Netflix/Youtube, Sentry mode recording on 4 cameras, dash cam, etc.) I believe used 2017 vehicles should still have lifetime premium connectivity included.

For the battery, you could see if they could plug it in and just drag the slider all the way to 100%. That is a quick way of seeing how much it can still charge to.

We've never had any air suspension issues with the three Teslas that we've purchased that included it.
That's great to know! The X I put deposit down come with HW 3.0 with FSD, but only has MCU 1.0, so I have to pay 2k to upgrade that. I will check the battery for sure, which is super important.

That's great to know! The X I put deposit down come with HW 3.0 with FSD, but only has MCU 1.0, so I have to pay 2k to upgrade that. I will check the battery for sure, which is super important.
Rereading my previous comment, you wouldn't even need to plug it in to check the range. If you just sit in the car and go to the charging screen and drag the slider to 100%, it will show estimated full charge range.

This would be true if it is a private party sale. When Tesla takes possession of it and re-sells it, they wipe all used vehicles back to 30-day Premium Connectivity trial.
True. I forgot they changed that in January 2020 so that it no longer transferred.

For @BULLSHARK :
How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.
- from Connectivity

I bought the same year and model. 2017 90d. I purchased FSD when it was $2k and recently upgraded the Infotainment. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. Had a few minor mobile service visits to fix the charge port LEDs and a loose door seal but otherwise not a single problem.

Mine was a private sale and I had it transported 500 miles so I bought it sight unseen. Previous owner bought it fully loaded (EAP, Subzero pkg, premium sound, etc.) and added the Evenex light "T" on the trunk lid, performance pedals, cubby drawer, and under 9k miles less than a year old. I put some PPF on it and it looks amazing.

Sure the range is a little degraded but I never get low because there are superchargers along every route I take and I have a HPWC at home and keep it near 90%. Winter knocks a little off the range but again, who cares. It has premium connectivity free and unlimited supercharging to boot.

I say go for it.

Reactions: Bigriver