Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2020 Model X Demo Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I never thought I'd be owning a Model X so I haven't obsessively researched it as much as the 3 or the Y. An inventory car popped up yesterday and the deal looked too good that I wanted to jump on it. I wanted to solicit advice from the forum to make sure I'm making the right choice!

Stats:
Red 2020 Model X Long Range Plus (Build date March 2020)
Mileage = ~1,500
+ 22" Onyx Black Wheels
5 Seater

Price Adjustment -$10,110.00

Cost is $79,180.00

Things I want to look out for:
- Fit and Finish issues from people getting in and out the car
- Making sure the battery is in good condition? (I'm assuming Tesla knows how to keep their batteries topped up)
- Making sure it wasn't in an accident
- Shudder present?

It seems like the car was a demo car in Mexico City which is why they didn't clear it out when there was the big push in December / January to clear out all remaining S's and X's.

Is there a lot I'm missing by not waiting for a car built later? I read that Mid 2020 X's have cars that can supercharge at a higher rate. We all know the new refresh is coming up, but the cost is a lot more.

Just looking for some advice and some confirmation bias that this is the right car!

Thank you

I know it sounds like plain English, but what's a "price adjustment" and is any reason given for it? In other words, is it "listed" at 89k but there's a price adjustment of 10k so the *net* cost is 79k?

Who's actually selling it and will you have the chance to personally inspect fit and finish and check battery capacity, shudder etc before buying? Buying CPO from Tesla is a bit risky that way- the pricing is usually in the ballpark but you can't physically see the car until after you've put your money down. The main benefit would be a real warranty. Tesla is good about offering a warranty with a new starting date and mileage on demo cars.

I mean, 89 is fine, price is roughly in line with Kelley blue book for a car with super low miles, the question you have to ask yourself is are you comfortable with a demo car. Those may be low miles, but they're hard miles. Pretty sure they charged that battery every day to 100%. In Mexico City. Draw your own conclusions..

Last edited:
Stats:
Red 2020 Model X Long Range Plus (Build date March 2020)
Mileage = ~1,500
+ 22" Onyx Black Wheels
5 Seater

Price Adjustment -$10,110.00

Cost is $79,180.00
That price is basically the base cost of the model X throughout most of 2020. It appears that they are “giving” you the wheels upgrade, color upgrade and I presume maybe the interior isn’t black (I’m trying to come up to the $10k adjustment) in exchange for it being a year old and having 1500 miles on it. I personally would not want the 22” wheels as they eat up the range and I don’t think red is the best color for the massive size of the X. But my advice on situations like this is that it might be a good deal for you if it is the exact configuration you would have wanted to custom order.

My model X was a demo with 1000 miles and I have not had any problems that I thought was linked to it being a demo. Yes, it could have or develop shudder problems - you will be subject to the potential for it to have any of the issues that other model X owners have. Of course, you’ll have the warranty which I presume will be 4 years, 50,000 miles based on when you take delivery.

The 2020 model X had some improvements as the year went along, but nothing earth shattering.

Last edited:
Lots of great comments here so far.

How long will it take for this demo Model X to get delivered to you? The new infrastructure proposal is being announced next week as well as the rumored reinstatement of the potential $7500 tax credit for Tesla. This could potentially apply to your purchase (if you have the tax liability... was the car ever titled?... will the new tax credit apply to 2020 models, etc.) depending on when/if it gets approved and whether your date of purchase is included. Recent comments in other threads indicated that the credit would only apply to purchases made after it was ratified, but we hopefully will know more next Wednesday.

For my personal choice, I would want that credit and apply it to a new X. I could spec it the way I want, ($84,490 white/white, base wheels with tax credit applied) and most importantly, get the all new interior with center widescreen, ventilated seats, active noise canceling, heat pump and other improvements. Plus I'd have a brand new X.

If you prefer the Red Multi-Coat and the Onyx wheels, then yes, this discount is more tempting. Double check on the shipping cost to your delivery center as well. Either way, good luck, and post pics once you get it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.