Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trust in “Demo Vehicles”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a bunch of 2023 Model X’s currently in Inventory and I was wondering what you all make of the “demo vehicle”.

The most straightforward use for this car must have been for prospective buyers to test drive, but some of these would have had to have been used in circulation for a very long time.

I’ve seen some with 1,000-5,000 miles on them.

That’s a TON of test drives. I would not be comfortable knowing that many people jumped in and out of my new car for a pretty weak discount.

Do they also use them as loaner vehicles as well? What else?

Reactions: Skavatar
I bought my first P85+ as an inventory car in 2014 with 8600 miles and a pretty good discount.

Car was like-new when I took delivery and never gave me any issues (other than are normal for early RWD Model S)

I would not be comfortable knowing that many people jumped in and out of my new car

Well then if it's not for you, it's not for you. Only you can make that call.

• Informative
I just saw a demo X LR today that had as good of panel alignment and gaps as I’ve ever seen on an X. Knowing how “loosely” most X vehicles are fitted I’d buy this demo over a car unseen. It was dirty from road salt. But the interior looked in perfect shape.

I was thinking something similar. If I was the store manager and needed to pick one to demo, it wouldn't be a lemon that someone refused to accept.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Depending on the demos, some of them have low ("as new") mileage, but I would assume they have good fit and finish to be worth demoing. Furthermore, Tesla software locks demo/loaner performance to reduce wear and tear during drives.
Thanks for pointing out something I hadn't thought of, that demo cars are likely to be better in those details.
I've been considering the demo vs. new choice myself.

Depending on the demos, some of them have low ("as new") mileage, but I would assume they have good fit and finish to be worth demoing. Furthermore, Tesla software locks demo/loaner performance to reduce wear and tear during drives.
I've noticed this taking a car out for a test drive and while it's a little annoying, I can see why they do it and would appreciate it if I were in the market for a demo vehicle.

i just placed an order on a demo vehicle, turns out you have to pick it up at its current Tesla center, probably applies to all the inventory vehicles too.

i guess "all deliverable" doesn't mean they'll "deliver" to your house or nearest Tesla center like they would if you ordered and paid full price.

Had an opportunity on Wednesday to test drive a 2024 X. It had 65 miles on the odometer. Very nice car. The seats and comfort suspension was great. I have a 21 MY LR. Huge difference between the two, but it should be with one of the cars cost $25K more than the other.