Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla Model 3 AWD - advise needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! New to the forums, but love the community, so friendly.

We're close to pulling the trigger, and as much as i'd love to buy a performance model, the 10k additional and the reports i have seen on here regarding pothole damage, the expense of the tires etc... has moved me away from it. If it was on 18 inch wheels and not much different than the AWD LR i would have in a heart beat (currently drive an infiniti G37XS 2009).

Thanks in advance!

We own a 3 LRAWD, 11/18 build. We felt the 10k difference was better spent on upgraded interior, FSD, AP, and wheels. Wife wanted 19s, I am okay with 18s. We compromised and bought the 19s, found a set of 18s as takeoffs from a new car, tires, TPMS, aero caps, and mounted All Weather Nokians, not the snow thingies but All Weather. Through slush, freezing rain, snow, and extreme cold weather, they were great through April 1st, the day we agreed to swap them out for the 19s. I do agree that potholes can be a problem. Even hitting the corner of the driveway apron, either side will pinch a tire with the 19's. I cant imagine the 20s are any better.

Regarding power, we drive the car in chill mode most often; standard mode is good for test drives, demo rides, and a must when I drive it myself through the twisties.... the acceleration out of turns is amazing! Normal driving highway and commute, chill is like no other car.

Seeing in the tread discussions about charging, I started with a 4 gauge line from main panel to sub panel then ran 6 gauge to a 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker. It charged well during the winter when we were driving it less due to weather and slow part of my wifes business. We now drive the car 100-150 miles a day, sharing the car for errands as well. I've since replaced the 4/3 romex with THHN 6 gauge in conduit and installed a HPWC set to 48 amps and run it off a 60 amp breaker. The car charges on 240 at 48 amps, 44 miles per hour. With this setup, we in a couple hours add 100 miles whereas with the portable connector, the rate was slightly less. Yes, we could have lived with it but with the heavier future proofed 4 gauge line (good for model 3 which caps off at 48a) , why let it sit idle. It works so well, we only used the Super Charger twice... once for fun, another while on a trip where I ran the battery down to 10%. I have the rest of the month before the credit expires, I better hurry up :)

Would I do it different? Probably not. The AWD proved helpful through snow, slush, rain. Never do we feel the car slip, slide, or lose grip. Not saying at all that an LR is a problem, it is just our preference to choose AWD.

Where you should plan to spend a lot of time is at delivery. Make sure you check the car out well. I know delivery has improved. If you can, borrow a paint thickness gauge and check all panels for work. Insist on getting the details of work done to the car before it arrives and after it arrives the SC, including prep for you to take delivery. Ours has a panel that was repaired before it got to the SC that I didn't pickup on when we took delivery. It is going to be a hassle to get that resolved to my liking.

Hope our experience helps you make a choice.

There are other cars that can technically beat a Model 3. The general real world Tesla reality is different. I had a Genesis R-Spec. 429 HP V8. To go quick I had to put it into manual shift and rev the engine at the light. In regular driving a Tesla S 60 felt quicker just because the torque is so easily accessible. For a Demon to beat a Model 3 Performance, it will have to get a perfect launch. Real world with less than perfect drivers is different from datasheets.

We own a 3 LRAWD, 11/18 build. We felt the 10k difference was better spent on upgraded interior, FSD, AP, and wheels. Wife wanted 19s, I am okay with 18s. We compromised and bought the 19s, found a set of 18s as takeoffs from a new car, tires, TPMS, aero caps, and mounted All Weather Nokians, not the snow thingies but All Weather. Through slush, freezing rain, snow, and extreme cold weather, they were great through April 1st, the day we agreed to swap them out for the 19s. I do agree that potholes can be a problem. Even hitting the corner of the driveway apron, either side will pinch a tire with the 19's. I cant imagine the 20s are any better.

Regarding power, we drive the car in chill mode most often; standard mode is good for test drives, demo rides, and a must when I drive it myself through the twisties.... the acceleration out of turns is amazing! Normal driving highway and commute, chill is like no other car.

Seeing in the tread discussions about charging, I started with a 4 gauge line from main panel to sub panel then ran 6 gauge to a 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker. It charged well during the winter when we were driving it less due to weather and slow part of my wifes business. We now drive the car 100-150 miles a day, sharing the car for errands as well. I've since replaced the 4/3 romex with THHN 6 gauge in conduit and installed a HPWC set to 48 amps and run it off a 60 amp breaker. The car charges on 240 at 48 amps, 44 miles per hour. With this setup, we in a couple hours add 100 miles whereas with the portable connector, the rate was slightly less. Yes, we could have lived with it but with the heavier future proofed 4 gauge line (good for model 3 which caps off at 48a) , why let it sit idle. It works so well, we only used the Super Charger twice... once for fun, another while on a trip where I ran the battery down to 10%. I have the rest of the month before the credit expires, I better hurry up :)

Would I do it different? Probably not. The AWD proved helpful through snow, slush, rain. Never do we feel the car slip, slide, or lose grip. Not saying at all that an LR is a problem, it is just our preference to choose AWD.

Where you should plan to spend a lot of time is at delivery. Make sure you check the car out well. I know delivery has improved. If you can, borrow a paint thickness gauge and check all panels for work. Insist on getting the details of work done to the car before it arrives and after it arrives the SC, including prep for you to take delivery. Ours has a panel that was repaired before it got to the SC that I didn't pickup on when we took delivery. It is going to be a hassle to get that resolved to my liking.

Hope our experience helps you make a choice.

Thanks for the advise! A lot to take in and look at. Pretty good stuff overall too. So assuming I don't have the skill that you seem to have because well... i don't... with regards to the electric, what exactly would I tell an electrician??

I like the idea of being able to get 44miles per hour. Also, want to ensure the setup could possibly handle a second tesla in the future.

Thanks!

I wanted to say thanks to all! I read through most of the advise, and it is super helpful. Yesterday, my wife and I pulled the trigger on the car. It's primarily her car but we'll be switching cars every week.

That said, i opted for the AWD non P. Sorry P fans... i just couldn't justify it, i really would have loved it, but simply put its just unrealistic, the cost is much higher AND in MD, if you exceed the 60k, you can't get the state tax benefits and the Performance car would have definitely done that.

Next steps are getting the garage ready for charging the car!!

Reactions: S'toon
That said, i opted for the AWD non P. Sorry P fans... i just couldn't justify it, i really would have loved it, but simply put its just unrealistic, the cost is much higher AND in MD, if you exceed the 60k, you can't get the state tax benefits and the Performance car would have definitely done that.

That's OK, you still have a couple weeks to come to your senses. :)

You can tell an electrician you want either a 50 amp line connected to a NEMA 14-50 (if you plan to use mobile adapter at a charge rate of 30 miles per hour) or a 60 amp line connected to a Tesla HPWC (if you want the higher 44 miles per hour charge rate and you're willing to buy the unit) or a 100 amp line connected to an HPWC (if you want the option to add a second HPWC later without much impact to the simultaneous charge rates). It might be easiest to find Tesla owners in your area and ask for an electrician who's done a Tesla charging installation before (I found such a group on Facebook, for instance, and also had a couple friends with Model 3's that I could ask).

Reactions: MXWing
I wanted to say thanks to all! I read through most of the advise, and it is super helpful. Yesterday, my wife and I pulled the trigger on the car. It's primarily her car but we'll be switching cars every week.

Personally, I would have traded something in to reduce the purchase price, reduce taxes and get the state incentive.

I’ll wave when I go by. ;)

As far as electrical charging, your best bang for buck is to install a 60AMP outlet and use your included charger.

I am in MD as well........I have a non P AWD. Best car in the world!!
I asked Tesla for help in finding an authorized electrician to install a wall charger and they got me in touch with a great company. I sent the pictures over to them of my garage and breakers. They called and setup an appointment for the installation. Electrician was very professional and took care of everything. Great experience.

IMO the 18s without covers but with the tesla cap kit looks 1000x better than the 19s.

Opinions are fun.

I am partial to the 19 inch Chinese Aeros. Opinions are indeed fun.

upload_2019-5-10_11-56-52.png

I am in MD as well........I have a non P AWD. Best car in the world!!
I asked Tesla for help in finding an authorized electrician to install a wall charger and they got me in touch with a great company. I sent the pictures over to them of my garage and breakers. They called and setup an appointment for the installation. Electrician was very professional and took care of everything. Great experience.

cool thanks! i'm not worried about the non-P... its a gimmick or would be one for me, until i stop using it and just start well... driving.

That's OK, you still have a couple weeks to come to your senses. :)

You can tell an electrician you want either a 50 amp line connected to a NEMA 14-50 (if you plan to use mobile adapter at a charge rate of 30 miles per hour) or a 60 amp line connected to a Tesla HPWC (if you want the higher 44 miles per hour charge rate and you're willing to buy the unit) or a 100 amp line connected to an HPWC (if you want the option to add a second HPWC later without much impact to the simultaneous charge rates). It might be easiest to find Tesla owners in your area and ask for an electrician who's done a Tesla charging installation before (I found such a group on Facebook, for instance, and also had a couple friends with Model 3's that I could ask).

Thanks! I didn't say i wasn't going to still test drive the performance one!

Thanks for the advise! A lot to take in and look at. Pretty good stuff overall too. So assuming I don't have the skill that you seem to have because well... i don't... with regards to the electric, what exactly would I tell an electrician??

I like the idea of being able to get 44miles per hour. Also, want to ensure the setup could possibly handle a second tesla in the future.

Thanks!

Tell the electrician you want a NEMA 14-50 240 Volt outlet installed (at the correct location near the rear quarter panel of the car) with a 50 Amp breaker. Make sure he/she gets the appropriate permits. Ensure the plug is at a location where the unit itself will be at a convenient height when plugged in. (see some internet installations to get a feel for that).

Buy the Tesla $500 charger unit with the plug. Mount it on the wall and charge away. If you want to save a few bucks and only charge at 32 Amps instead of 40, have the same outlet installed and buy a second Charger unit like the one that comes with the car from Tesla for $300. The Tesla chargers are a good deal for what they are.

One could buy some other J1772 charger and use the adapter that comes with the car and have that unit for another type of BEV. But if you only want it for a Tesla, back to plan A.

With either option, you can take the unit with you if you ever move and there is basically no downside.