Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla with the intent to sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit I was initially put off by the concept. But then if someone would offer me $90,000 for my Roadster i would likely take the offer. My guess is we all likely have a price we would sell at. Mr. Red is just higher than most.
Not me. I paid $117K for my Roadster and it's only a year old. With nothing else comparable available, and the only other long-range EV being the S, which is much too big for my comfort level, I would not even consider an offer under $167K (plus what I paid for delivery and the UMC). And I probably would not sell for less than $200K. Of course, every man has his price, and there'd be some point where I'd sell in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure where that is. But no way would it be less than $50K over what I paid.

Now if someone offered to buy the electric Porsche as is, I'd take a loss. :wink:

Once the MSO with RedSig's name on it is created by Tesla, Inc, he is obligated to pay sales tax on the purchase price. No small matter.
Plus he already has fronted a serious cash down payment. He is definitely an 'EV supporter' in my book.
--

Once the MSO with RedSig's name on it is created by Tesla, Inc, he is obligated to pay sales tax on the purchase price. No small matter.
Plus he already has fronted a serious cash down payment. He is definitely an 'EV supporter' in my book.
--
He has said that he has two reservations and will keep one car. He'd like to sell the first one at a profit and keep the second one. (Maybe the second one is not a signature model, I don't remember.) If he cannot sell the first one, he'll cancel the reservation on the second one and keep the first. Either way, he'll own and drive a Model S. (And pay whatever tax his state charges.) He's stated this clearly.

Not me. I paid $117K for my Roadster and it's only a year old. With nothing else comparable available, and the only other long-range EV being the S, which is much too big for my comfort level, I would not even consider an offer under $167K (plus what I paid for delivery and the UMC). And I probably would not sell for less than $200K. Of course, every man has his price, and there'd be some point where I'd sell in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure where that is. But no way would it be less than $50K over what I paid.

Agreed. In fact I've been offered more than I paid.

Not me. I paid $117K for my Roadster and it's only a year old.

I really am glad you love your Roadster. I managed to get mine used so the $90K is getting out what I have in it.

I am torn in that like you I really love the Roadster. But I am still in shock as even as I bought a used Roadster I paid 3X over my most expensive car and over what I paid for my home. So for me the Roadster is very much outside my "normal" limits. As several of my friends said to my wife "Dave had a SERIOUS midlife crisis". The truth of the matter is that I converted a Jeep to all electric for a friend and when I had to give the Jeep back I went through a serious EV withdraw. And if I was to ever sell the Roadster (and I am not trying) I would replace it with another EV. They are definitely the way of the future.

On the topic of the legalities, there's a line in the MVPA that might make buying a Tesla for resale problematic:

mvpa.PNG

I suppose it could be interpreted as not buying a car for resale...

Practically, from a legal perspective Tesla never could or would enforce that provision against an individual reselling one car. Tesla would have no measurable damages (they were paid for the car) so their only possible remedy would be an injunction to stop the resale. Utterly impractical and financially nonsensical, since legal fees would be disproportionate to the benefit. And unlikely to succeed since injunctive relief is very hard to get. I suspect that provision is actually as it sounds, intended to stop dealers and car brokers from making a business out of locking up reservations and reselling for a profit.

I really am glad you love your Roadster. I managed to get mine used so the $90K is getting out what I have in it.

I am torn in that like you I really love the Roadster. But I am still in shock as even as I bought a used Roadster I paid 3X over my most expensive car and over what I paid for my home. So for me the Roadster is very much outside my "normal" limits. As several of my friends said to my wife "Dave had a SERIOUS midlife crisis". The truth of the matter is that I converted a Jeep to all electric for a friend and when I had to give the Jeep back I went through a serious EV withdraw. And if I was to ever sell the Roadster (and I am not trying) I would replace it with another EV. They are definitely the way of the future.
I hear you! My Roadster cost 4 times as much as my previous most expensive car. But I went in with my eyes open and have no misgivings. Sadly, I have no wife to have to please, I wish I did.

Oh, and who could ever have misgivings over a very orange​ Roadster? :) Best color ever, for a sports car. (Though I prefer blue for a "normal" car.)