Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve finally saved enough to entertain thoughts of buying a Model 3. But with used prices dropping recently, my question becomes - is there a model year that would be better to buy used and why? I‘ve heard that mileage isn’t as big a factor as it is in an ICE car but is that true? Which items that have been removed from later models, is more important? I’d really like to hear some opinions. Thanks.

I’ve finally saved enough to entertain thoughts of buying a Model 3. But with used prices dropping recently, my question becomes - is there a model year that would be better to buy used and why? I‘ve heard that mileage isn’t as big a factor as it is in an ICE car but is that true? Which items that have been removed from later models, is more important? I’d really like to hear some opinions. Thanks.
Yeah, 21-22 models would be best. Dual pane front windows, heat pump, still have ultrasonic parking sensors.

I recently bought a 2018 M3MR with only 27k miles on it in excellent condition. I think it was literally owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church on Sundays. :) It was love at first sight.

I recently bought a used M3P from Tesla's "used inventory" and had an exceptional experience and saved over $20K over what it would have cost new(1/3 off the price)
The car was mint(25,456 miles) came with EAP and an extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Most of the vehicles on Tesla's used inventory are 2019-2020 models....
which was fine with me since the 2020 M3P had the best looking wheels 😜
9F9DFC21-4FFA-4C52-A31F-5511C900F0A4_1_201_a.jpeg

I would highly recommend buying through Tesla as they are pretty much certified with extended warranties and software upgrades for pennies on the dollar...btw, every Long Range model comes with Acceleration Boost if you are looking at the LR models

I recently bought a used M3P from Tesla's "used inventory" and had an exceptional experience and saved over $20K over what it would have cost new(1/3 off the price)
The car was mint(25,456 miles) came with EAP and an extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Most of the vehicles on Tesla's used inventory are 2019-2020 models....
which was fine with me since the 2020 M3P had the best looking wheels 😜
View attachment 924721
I would highly recommend buying through Tesla as they are pretty much certified with extended warranties and software upgrades for pennies on the dollar...btw, every Long Range model comes with Acceleration Boost if you are looking at the LR models
Would mind sharing how much you paid and what area you’re in? I’m thinking about buying a 2020 M3P from a private seller.

Would mind sharing how much you paid and what area you’re in? I’m thinking about buying a 2020 M3P from a private seller.
I lucked out on the timing and got it right at the bottom as prices have crept back up and inventory has gone down a bit… I’m in SoCal and got it for $40,100
Was shocked how clean she was.. no dings or scratches paint was flawless only blemishes were some very minor curb rash
25.5k miles
Enhanced Autopilot
Brand new P-Zero tires
One year extended warranty on top of original

2021 or newer. My early-2019 is a rattling piece of junk. Quite embarrassing when I have clients in the car. Build quality of a 90's econobox would probably be too generous a description. Lots of improvements in late models just from a NVH standpoint make it comparable to other cars in this price segment. Much better!

I lucked out on the timing and got it right at the bottom as prices have crept back up and inventory has gone down a bit… I’m in SoCal and got it for $40,100
Was shocked how clean she was.. no dings or scratches paint was flawless only blemishes were some very minor curb rash
25.5k miles
Enhanced Autopilot
Brand new P-Zero tires
One year extended warranty on top of original
Great deal for a great looking car. How many miles are you getting at full charge? I saw one yesterday but it only gets 267 miles at 100%

If you are in a cold climate like it looks like you are, ABSOLUTELY get one with a heatpump. Your range will be impacted even worse in the winter than it already will be if you don't get it.

So like most people have said, 2021+ to 2022, will likely be the sweet spot for features, vs cost. You don't want a car without the parking sensors. Avoid the 20" wheels if you want good range.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

I would highly recommend buying through Tesla as they are pretty much certified with extended warranties and software upgrades for pennies on the dollar

...btw, every Long Range model comes with Acceleration Boost if you are looking at the LR models
Is this true?

Is this explicitly stated somewhere on Teslas Inventory details for LR somewhere?

Is this true?

Is this explicitly stated somewhere on Teslas Inventory details for LR somewhere?

yes, just check the inventory and details on the car....every one of the LR come with AB

Basically any used LR with a time listed as 3.9 seconds for 0-60 has AB installed. That looks like all of them from what I saw in inventory. But that seems wrong a the same time unless they changed boost. I believe when I ordered it for my car it was supposed to drop like .5 seconds off the original 0-60 time of 4.2.

SO, maybe this is less of a boost than the original AB? My car clocks in about 3.6x 0-60 with no rollout. Something seems odd about the 3.9 but when you look at each car's description, it says AB. If someone buys one of them, run it 0-60 and let us know if it has the full acceleration boost.

Basically any used LR with a time listed as 3.9 seconds for 0-60 has AB installed. That looks like all of them from what I saw in inventory. But that seems wrong a the same time unless they changed boost. I believe when I ordered it for my car it was supposed to drop like .5 seconds off the original 0-60 time of 4.2.

SO, maybe this is less of a boost than the original AB? My car clocks in about 3.6x 0-60 with no rollout. Something seems odd about the 3.9 but when you look at each car's description, it says AB. If someone buys one of them, run it 0-60 and let us know if it has the full acceleration boost.

The 2019-2020 M3LR is advertised as 4.4 sec 0-60, so the advertised 3.9 sec makes sense

Yep. :) A whole .2 seconds when you are already running in the 4 second range is significant. I can't tell you how much money I've seen people spend to pick up a few tenths.

Nice to see them including it even though it might hurt private sales a bit. Might help them move them quicker.

Reactions: XPsionic
I picked up a 2020 LR with FSD black in great shape 35k miles for $37500. At this price I could not help myself. The heat pump means nothing to me as I am in Central FL. But if I did live in a much colder climate it would bee wanted. I too was kind of shocked at the range loss. I'm at 292miles at 100% charge. My Model x p100d gets almost the same range but due to my heavy foot I never see anything like that and with 22" wheels it eats even more range.