Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla 3 advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently seeing only one Tesla 3 on Tesla.com
2018 Model 3 | Tesla
which is $48,400 - new $50900 unless I am missing an option If not, just doesn't make sense

Supply and demand. The used market is still being established for the Model 3. The prices for one or two year old cars typically don’t drop much until there is a mid cycle refresh, etc. Right now Tesla is selling these things like hot cakes.

Used is priced as if there is still 6 months wait for a new one.

The market has not adapted yet, the worst offenders are smaller dealer lots, where the used prices are higher than New and you get no incentives ; which makes zero sense.
When the Federal and State incentives go away for Tesla the used market will make more sense and the current sellers either don't understand that, trying to pull one over on some random person who stops in or are fine waiting it out.
In MA state rebates go away Sept 2019 and many states don't offer any rebate.
End of Dec the federal incentive disappears.

Anyway, I have concluded for 2019 buying used just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Mr X
Here's a used 2017 LR for $37,000

Autotrader - page unavailable

VcL5jcX.png

And just like all used 3's in the high 30k range.... it has a branded title! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the $1200 doc and destination fee still applies to used cars purchased from Tesla? I assume it does but just making sure...

I’m curious about that too, if it doesn’t than the $2000 delivery fee from anywhere in the US is actually pretty good. That means it’s only $800 to have to delivered across country and opens up basically any deal you can find. If it DOES still apply, you have to find a local deal OR you’re paying $3200 more than the advertised price if it’s across the US or something...

Does anyone know if the $1200 doc and destination fee still applies to used cars purchased from Tesla? I assume it does but just making sure...

Usually, you only pay a destination fee when the manufacturer has to ship the car to a dealership or in Tesla’s case, service center. It is a cost that is passed on to the buyer and listed by law on the Invoice. In the case of a used car I guess they could charge a destination fee if they are going to ship it to you but if it is just a trade in sitting at a local service center and you are going to drive there an pick it up then no there should be no destination fee. I would never pay one if that was the case.

Reactions: T3SLAROD

It does not apply. Whatever the price is on the Tesla site is what you pay + tax/registration. You are also allowed to inspect the car. The Charge-port door was not fitting flush on mine and they changed it right there and then.

Currently seeing only one Tesla 3 on Tesla.com
2018 Model 3 | Tesla
which is $48,400 - new $50900 unless I am missing an option If not, just doesn't make sense

I agree the pricing is not realistic. But if they find a local buyer they can sell it without charging a transportation fee, and there would not be a $1,200 destination fee either. So for a local buyer it represents a small savings ($3,700 factoring in the destination fee). This is about 7% deprecation for a car with only 3,000 miles on it, so not too terrible.

If you are eligible for the remaining $1,875 federal tax credit that reduces the savings even further, but not everyone qualifies for the tax credit. I doubt they will sell many at this price but maybe one or two to just the right buyers. And of course it's just an ask price, not necessarily what they are willing to take.

Traditionally, I am buying newer used cars to reduce initial high depreciation.

Same here. Prior car was a 2010 535i, bought wholesale through a dealer, lease return, 17K miles. $70K car new, I bought it for $30K (it is a manual, which dealers avoid, making them better buys). But as you pointed out above, the used car prices are about the same as new, so I ended up buying the 3 new. Only regret is not doing it a year ago when I was looking at the S, which had poor ergonomics for me, and I assumed the 3 would be too small.

Same here. Prior car was a 2010 535i, bought wholesale through a dealer, lease return, 17K miles. $70K car new, I bought it for $30K (it is a manual, which dealers avoid, making them better buys). But as you pointed out above, the used car prices are about the same as new, so I ended up buying the 3 new. Only regret is not doing it a year ago when I was looking at the S, which had poor ergonomics for me, and I assumed the 3 would be too small.

3 interior cubic space is actually about same/slightly bigger. Trunk space is smaller though

Buying used right now LR RWD is about $41k. Buying New depends on rebates you'll be eligible for. $50k for LR AWD - 2500 Cali Rebate = $47.5 -500(or 1000) for Gas and Electric Rebate = around 46.5 - 1850 Federal Rebate= $44650. So depending is AWD is worth 4k which is the normal price difference of RWD and AWD last year. New is the better option if you buy through tesla. If you can get a good price outside Tesla's portal then thats your best bet. I'm in the same boat as well. There is a 2018 used one i'm looking at for about $42k. It has 10k miles 19in wheels AP No FSD in Blue. I'm still thinking of going new still. Unless someone convince me otherwise lol I hope this helps I think I confused myself typing this.
I bought that one.

If you buy used 2018 from Tesla and the car says it has AP
Would that mean EAP and not regular AP? Cause in 2018 that is what it was

I assume you would get the 2.5 hardware if you get EAP

If you get the new AP only then they should upgrade the hardware to 3.0 in my opinion

Anyone know or ask these questions??!