Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Cheaper Version and Upgrading Later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its 7K now (FSD). We have no idea what it may or may not be "later" . Could be more, could be less. The only thing we can tell you for sure is, your friend can absolutely buy a tesla now, and add FSD "later" for "a fee". The current fee is 7k but no guarantee it stays that for the time period your friend waits to purchase after buying the car.

But if you buy later, you need full amount. If you buy to begin with, it's rolled into loan.

well... either way, you are paying the full amount, just one you have to pay all at once, and one you have rolled into a loan. Its the same money though, with the exception of the extra interest paid over the loan on the amount.

well... either way, you are paying the full amount, just one you have to pay all at once, and one you have rolled into a loan. Its the same money though, with the exception of the extra interest paid over the loan on the amount.

except you can charge upgrades on CC and get points etc. I tried putting more on CC (pay in full later) but they said only deposit..

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Does the model 'Y' come with FSD ? or just AP? If that is the case it is a rip off to charge Model 3 customers in 2020 7k. I ordered my M3 last week and I paid for FSD because I wanted it rolled into my loan, and also I wanted NOAP and Auto-parallel-park (coz its a pita to diy).

Yes. It's based on your registration address. Does Tesla get this from DMV or can we update?

That I don't know. If added during vehicle purchase, you most likely must use your legal address (but I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV).

I would believe changing your address with Tesla just to avoid the tax (if you even can) would be illegal in some way, but that is your choice. I wouldn't do it myself.

Does the model 'Y' come with FSD ? or just AP? If that is the case it is a rip off to charge Model 3 customers in 2020 7k. I ordered my M3 last week and I paid for FSD because I wanted it rolled into my loan, and also I wanted NOAP and Auto-parallel-park (coz its a pita to diy).
Right now on the Model Y order page (see below), it clearly states that AP is included and FSD is a $7,000 add-on.

AP.PNG

That I don't know. If added during vehicle purchase, you most likely must use your legal address (but I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV).

I would believe changing your address with Tesla just to avoid the tax (if you even can) would be illegal in some way, but that is your choice. I wouldn't do it myself.

good points. I'm actually considering moving and just curious if someone has updated their address with Tesla before the move (want AP/FSD for the long drive).

It didn't work by just updating contact info. online (as someone here had done previously)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar