Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like the timeframes are good. Did you have an appointment that got changed? Or Monday is when you picked it?

i have a Saturday appt and I really want to keep it.
@LionCheeser - They wanted to drop off the car today or tomorrow. My financing was not in place to take the car today and Saturday I will be in LA (Mothers Day event). So, Monday was the soonest I could do. They will drop the car at my house between 2 - 4 PM on Monday.

Reactions: LionCheeser
@LionCheeser a friend of mine was at the Carlsbad SC today and took this picture. He thinks it may be the car but was not able to get close enough to check the VIN.
IMG_3558.jpeg

I did the same thing this week. Ordered 4/9. Dates jumped like crazy. Most recent dates were mid to late June. Then went back to 6-10 weeks. I paid $14 for notifications from whatever the Tesla site is and started watching.

I found some close matches but debated too long and lost them. An identical match popped up a couple hundred miles away. I jumped on that car so fast and mashed the “buy” button. Double checked the config, good to go.

I called the SA once it was in my account (like .5 second later). SA confirmed I needed to fill out all of my info again. Since I’m paying with cash, no worries on transferring loan info. Currently delivery is scheduled for 5/14 at 5:00 PM.

I’ve kept my original order in place “just in case” as its $100 to cancel regardless. As soon as I get positive communication this week, I’ll cancel the original order.

Hated having to re-enter all the order info again, but finally getting a date and VIN made me happy. VIN is 179xxx.

Reactions: swheat6345
I did the same thing this week. Ordered 4/9. Dates jumped like crazy. Most recent dates were mid to late June. Then went back to 6-10 weeks. I paid $14 for notifications from whatever the Tesla site is and started watching.

I found some close matches but debated too long and lost them. An identical match popped up a couple hundred miles away. I jumped on that car so fast and mashed the “buy” button. Double checked the config, good to go.

I called the SA once it was in my account (like .5 second later). SA confirmed I needed to fill out all of my info again. Since I’m paying with cash, no worries on transferring loan info. Currently delivery is scheduled for 5/14 at 5:00 PM.

I’ve kept my original order in place “just in case” as its $100 to cancel regardless. As soon as I get positive communication this week, I’ll cancel the original order.

Hated having to re-enter all the order info again, but finally getting a date and VIN made me happy. VIN is 179xxx.
I still have my original order too on hold. Just in case my wife steals my car and I have to sacrifice my daughters education to buy another.:D

So, I just found a car in inventory and bought it. I can share my experience.

1. I paid the $100 and secured it. Called my SA immediately. He wasn't working so I called the store and spoke with somebody else
  2. The person I spoke to told me the SA could've done this for free, but agreed with me that by the time I got him on the phone the car would've been gone, I am now feeling good about the extra $100
  3. I am leasing, so she put me in touch with the credit department, who moved the lease approval from the old order to this one
  4. I canceled the old order
  5. I HAVE A VIN!
As a bonus, the car I found has 20" rims and the tow hitch, which I didn't want to pay for but wanted to have.... And though my payment went up... I am happy anyway because I did want the features. :)
What conditions need to be met for a car to appear in inventory? From recent news it sounds like tesla is selling vehicles faster than they can even make them. So are inventory vehicles one that a customer has decided they don't want because they can't pay, or perhaps too many defects? I only ask because I recently replaced my order with an existing inventory order and these things have been running through my mind " Why is it in inventory to begin with?" Sadly the rep said they aren't given any additional information so I will just wait and see.

How did your experience go? I believe you mentioned you were picking it up yesterday?

What conditions need to be met for a car to appear in inventory? From recent news it sounds like tesla is selling vehicles faster than they can even make them. So are inventory vehicles one that a customer has decided they don't want because they can't pay, or perhaps too many defects? I only ask because I recently replaced my order with an existing inventory order and these things have been running through my mind " Why is it in inventory to begin with?" Sadly the rep said they aren't given any additional information so I will just wait and see.

How did your experience go? I believe you mentioned you were picking it up yesterday?
More often than not, the person that reserved it decided they didn't want it - either cost, different situation now, or the wait was so long that they needed a car and couldn't wait. There are a few rejects due to defects, but one would hope that they'd make an effort to rectify those.

I will be receiving my inventory car tomorrow and I will let you know what happens. If the car Is the one that is in the picture my friend sent me which is in my post the right side of the car looks fine. Just need to see the rest of it. Supposedly it only has 15 miles on it so we will see.

What makes you say it wouldn’t be delivered? Just curious what the causes would be. If you pay the $100... you secure it and it’s yours.
If the car is across the country it depends on whether or not they can get transportation to get it to you. We had a SR Y we “secured” in PA. After two confirmed delivery dates were cancelled and 4 weeks later with no movement and no end in sight we got lucky and Tesla assigned us to a yet to built vin. You would need 7-8 orders from the same geographic area being shipped to the same area to fill a truck. Without that your car could sit for months.

This seems to be a test-drive vehicle with <50mi in it. Will take delivery next Saturday and will update here.

It's a test-drive so I assume mechanics are good but I don't know about cosmetics.... so I'm going to review that checklist very carefully

Okay, they delivered the car today. 🎉🥳👯‍♀️🎉🥳🎉

It was pretty easy. The let me look the car over before they left. Just a few minor issues that I have found so far. I have to 116 miles to report them. The car had 16 miles on it when I received it.

So, I will be busy doing just that over today and tomorrow.

The cars build month was 4/21 early part of April.

They issues are as follows:
  1. Driver door left front corner alignment is slightly off (Wider gap at top then bottom and door is recessed ever so slightly lower than the left front fender.
  2. Front passenger seat the right side of the seat support is compressed or missing resulting in loose fit of seat cover just in that area. Could be that it is still shaping but will have them take a look. This is the part that rests up against your rib cage to hold you in the seat.
  3. Rear right tire trim not flush with body panel.
  4. Rear hatch alignment Is tight on one side and wide on other side. It still closes and looks like they tried to adjust it before.
  5. Right front passenger door handle flush with body. Other door handles are perfect.
I already scheduled a service at my house so they can take a look for Friday. Based on the outcome of that visit I will then take it in for service. I assume the door/hatch and seat may require more work than the mobile service guy could resolve.

The paint looks great. Most of these things I maybe would have missed if it had not been for being sensitive to the issues due to the amplification of the Tesla Motor Club community. The front passenger seat being loose on one side I saw that right away.

No noises. My Gen 1 charger works with the Model Y. Hurray!!!!

Ride is firm but nice. Cabin is quiet. Awesome car even with above items.

If I find more things I will post them. So, far very pleased.

Attachments

• ModelY_Front.jpg
    ModelY_Front.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ModelY_Right.jpg
    ModelY_Right.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 59
  • ModelY_Front_Left.jpg
    ModelY_Front_Left.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 50
  • ModelY_Front_Right.jpg
    ModelY_Front_Right.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 47
  • ModelY_Left.jpg
    ModelY_Left.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 55
Okay, they delivered the car today. 🎉🥳👯‍♀️🎉🥳🎉

It was pretty easy. The let me look the car over before they left. Just a few minor issues that I have found so far. I have to 116 miles to report them. The car had 16 miles on it when I received it.

So, I will be busy doing just that over today and tomorrow.

The cars build month was 4/21 early part of April.

They issues are as follows:
  1. Driver door left front corner alignment is slightly off (Wider gap at top then bottom and door is recessed ever so slightly lower than the left front fender.
  2. Front passenger seat the right side of the seat support is compressed or missing resulting in loose fit of seat cover just in that area. Could be that it is still shaping but will have them take a look. This is the part that rests up against your rib cage to hold you in the seat.
  3. Rear right tire trim not flush with body panel.
  4. Rear hatch alignment Is tight on one side and wide on other side. It still closes and looks like they tried to adjust it before.
  5. Right front passenger door handle flush with body. Other door handles are perfect.
I already scheduled a service at my house so they can take a look for Friday. Based on the outcome of that visit I will then take it in for service. I assume the door/hatch and seat may require more work than the mobile service guy could resolve.

The paint looks great. Most of these things I maybe would have missed if it had not been for being sensitive to the issues due to the amplification of the Tesla Motor Club community. The front passenger seat being loose on one side I saw that right away.

No noises. My Gen 1 charger works with the Model Y. Hurray!!!!

Ride is firm but nice. Cabin is quiet. Awesome car even with above items.

If I find more things I will post them. So, far very pleased.
Congrats dude! All of those look rather small, so I am hoping for a similar experience re:Fit-and-finish! I'll update here once I get mine