Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model S, Have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Day Tesla amigos! I'm so excited to be joining the club and helping define the future of transportation!

I am going to be buying an early 2013 model s and have a few questions :) I got a sick deal on the car and decided to see what all the Tesla fuss is about for a year before I commit to a 2019 or 2020 Model S. Being that my model is an early 2013, it's missing a lot of features, so I am wondering if it's worth investing in the car... also I am coming from a high end german car with all the bells and whistles, so regarding features, I will be compromising a bit... So here are the main things I want to know...

1) My car only has a rear camera.... no front or rear sensors... is that something that can easily be added? Same thing would be for foldable mirrors.

2) my car has no auto pilot... I'm guessing it's not possible to add any of those types of safety features, such as lane change warning?

Thanks in advance!

I mean your car can be heavily modified but it’s not financially a good idea. The answer is sorry, no to your questions.

However, maybe adding a front dash cam will benefit you for those unforeseen incidences.

You got a driver’s car! Enjoy!

...1) My car only has a rear camera.... no front or rear sensors... is that something that can easily be added? Same thing would be for foldable mirrors...

As mentioned above, Tesla seldom offers hardware upgrade even if you offer to pay (pre-paid Full Self Driver Computer upgrade is an exception).

Not easy but I think if you are handy or willing to pay for Tesla salvage car experts, I guess you can do those features above.

2) my car has no auto pilot... I'm guessing it's not possible to add any of those types of safety features, such as lane change warning?...

I don't know about Auto Lane Change / Warning but you can modify your car with OpenPilot from comm.ai that works pretty good within a lane:

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
As mentioned above, Tesla seldom offers hardware upgrade even if you offer to pay (pre-paid Full Self Driver Computer upgrade is an exception).

Not easy but I think if you are handy or willing to pay for Tesla salvage car experts, I guess you can do those features above.

I don't know about Auto Lane Change / Warning but you can modify your car with OpenPilot from comm.ai that works pretty good within a lane:

We actually have Auto Lane Change now. However you need to be aware of surrounding since most of the OP Tesla's don't have side sensors, even with them be careful for cars coming up fast.

Reactions: Tam
Good Day Tesla amigos! I'm so excited to be joining the club and helping define the future of transportation!

I am going to be buying an early 2013 model s and have a few questions :) I got a sick deal on the car and decided to see what all the Tesla fuss is about for a year before I commit to a 2019 or 2020 Model S. Being that my model is an early 2013, it's missing a lot of features, so I am wondering if it's worth investing in the car... also I am coming from a high end german car with all the bells and whistles, so regarding features, I will be compromising a bit... So here are the main things I want to know...

1) My car only has a rear camera.... no front or rear sensors... is that something that can easily be added? Same thing would be for foldable mirrors.

2) my car has no auto pilot... I'm guessing it's not possible to add any of those types of safety features, such as lane change warning?

Thanks in advance!

If you haven’t bought the 2013 S yet, why skip it and buy a performance model 3? It’ll have all the new bells and whistles. It’ll get a nearly 3 second 0-60 time. It’ll be sportier than the S, and you’ll spend less overall. The S is great but it is a heavier car.

The 2013 is not an investment, it will be worth less when you sell it, that makes it a wasting asset. Wasting assets should not be confused with investments.

If you haven’t bought the 2013 S yet, why skip it and buy a performance model 3? It’ll have all the new bells and whistles. It’ll get a nearly 3 second 0-60 time. It’ll be sportier than the S, and you’ll spend less overall. The S is great but it is a heavier car.

The 2013 is not an investment, it will be worth less when you sell it, that makes it a wasting asset. Wasting assets should not be confused with investments.

I appreciate the reply. I'll be honest with you.... I don't like the model 3's look.... Also, the MS that im buying, well let's just say i'm picking it up at a price that's just to good to pass up. It may be worth a bit less when I sell it, but I'm not willing to gamble 60k to decide whether or not I like an EV. Less than half that amount? Yeah, I'll bite :)

Actually a 2013 model S will depreciate at a low rate. I think you could drive it a couple of years and sell it for close to the used purchase price. The question will be what happens to the resale value once the battery/power train warranty expires.

Actually a 2013 model S will depreciate at a low rate. I think you could drive it a couple of years and sell it for close to the used purchase price. The question will be what happens to the resale value once the battery/power train warranty expires.

That' a great question. I wouldn't be surprised if a market pops up that refurbishes batteries/power trains. The failure of motors is so much less than that of traditional combustion engines. Look at Tesloop, there was an article written about their older fleet vehicles with 500k+ miles on them and the founder of the company said something along the lines of the batteries and motors being incredibly resilient, and that most of the maintenance cost of the car is coming down to tire replacements and other general wear and tear stuff.

Link: Electric cars are changing the cost of driving