Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Tesla Solar - Monitoring Fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
Hi folks-

I just want to double check a few things before I order:

If I pay cash for a Tesla solar panel system, are there any monitoring or other fees, or is that a one and done price? I'm asking as I have a friend with a Solar City system that appears to have monitoring fees, but i see no such fees mentioned related to Tesla..

Also, does the price typically change from what the website suggests? (i.e. Medium solar system).

Thank you!

I had some issues with my contract. Although you sign a contract, they *can* change it if the design varies significantly. Unfortunately they couldn’t really explain the price increase post-contract, and they ultimately agreed to do it for the price on the website. IMHO they need to be more clear and have better communication about the possibility of price changes. Also, I had issues with their design. They didn’t design it to meet the requirements of my jurisdiction, i.e., 3’ back from roof peak and roof edges. That caused 4 panels on the medium install to go on the north side which is obviously not ideal. They also didn’t measure my roof correctly prior to install. Just some things to keep an eye on.

Other than that, very happy with the system. Some people don’t like the Tesla app, and from what I understand it’s not as detailed as some of the other monitoring systems. Works fine for my purposes. I track it all in Excel anyway, and you can export the data as a CSV file and do with it as you please.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Xebec