Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying used direct from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - just wondering how the experience has been for anyone who's bought a used model S from Tesla in the UK?

They ask you to buy without seeing the vehicle in the flesh - I'd be worried by it turning up with lots of scratches and other defects that you can't see from the pics they send you? Or do they have very high standards, like porsche, which means whilst there might be some you have to look really really hard to see them?

Hi Mike,

I bought new so can't answer your query directly, but I do feel I can pass comment on the standards, which could be better, based on my hand over - there were lots of marks that I had to point out, although none were serious and all were fixed by their detailer. Still, I felt I shouldn't have needed to point them out in the first place.

I don't know if they've changed things but they used to affirm that any used vehicle would be brought back to 'as new' before being sold - worth checking and getting in writing so you have something to hold them to.

Hi - just wondering how the experience has been for anyone who's bought a used model S from Tesla in the UK?

They ask you to buy without seeing the vehicle in the flesh - I'd be worried by it turning up with lots of scratches and other defects that you can't see from the pics they send you? Or do they have very high standards, like porsche, which means whilst there might be some you have to look really really hard to see them?

Hi,

Like MagicMagicD, I've no experience of used...I'm picking up my new MS tomorrow.

However, there are alternatives to buying used directly from Tesla...one I'm aware of is here: R Symons Ltd

I've no connection with Symons, I simply came across them whilst researching the MS.

Hi Mike,

I bought new so can't answer your query directly, but I do feel I can pass comment on the standards, which could be better, based on my hand over - there were lots of marks that I had to point out, although none were serious and all were fixed by their detailer. Still, I felt I shouldn't have needed to point them out in the first place.

I don't know if they've changed things but they used to affirm that any used vehicle would be brought back to 'as new' before being sold - worth checking and getting in writing so you have something to hold them to.

Interesting on your handover experience...where was it? What kind of marks were on your car? I'm collecting from Birmingham tomorrow...hoping all goes well!

Yes, they changed things, they now state that they pass a 70-point inspection, but that is all mechanical, they don't even properly detail the used cars any more, It is very much an 'as is' offering.

So if buying used these days you need to have an eye to what is just a problem that detailing can fix vs actual bodywork/wheel damage etc. and be prepared to reject it if it isn't easily fixable,

A far from ideal way to buy a used car and much worse than any other premium dealership.

• Informative
Reactions: MagicMagicD
Interesting on your handover experience...where was it? What kind of marks were on your car? I'm collecting from Birmingham tomorrow...hoping all goes well!

With my new car collection from MK earlier this year there were two obvious marks that they fixed immediately, but it should never have been offered to me in that state as they were obvious.

Also one very small scratch that went down to the metal (bottom of the drivers side where you step in) and a small perforation in the passenger door card. Those were fixed about a month later once they got the door card delivered.

With my new car collection from MK earlier this year there were two obvious marks that they fixed immediately, but it should never have been offered to me in that state as they were obvious.

Also one very small scratch that went down to the metal (bottom of the drivers side where you step in) and a small perforation in the passenger door card. Those were fixed about a month later once they got the door card delivered.

Attention to detail is important. That is definitely not attention to detail!

I shall scrutinize my new car very carefully when the sheet comes off.

I think it's safe to say Tesla pre-delivery prep standard is well below that of any other premium brand (they basically present you with the car as it is and then invite you to report issues in your own time), but I would say they are more accommodating when it comes to fixing things without arguing. Our local Porsche OPC was a massive pain in the arse when it came to warranty claims or fixing anything where they didn't stand to make some money out of me. But they prepped their used cars very nicely, except for the scratched headlight cover which they refused to replace and the condensation in one of the rear light clusters, which they eventually replaced after some argument. Tesla MK on the other hand will do whatever it takes to solve a problem. They even replaced a tyre FOC on my car after I got a wood screw in the sidewall within the first 500 miles. That sort of thing simply doesn't happen at normal car dealerships! I bought my car new from Tesla though, so no idea on their used car quality.

I bought from Birmingham in September 2016 an 11 month, 6500 miles old Model S P85D. It was in stock at Heathrow and they insisted on a non refundable £1000 deposit to bring it to Birmingham which, although I thought it strange, I went along with as I was already in love with the brand. They took my BMW 335i in part ex and I was quite happy with their offer. I was initially taken for a test drive to show off the cars features and that was me sold!

I have to say that my experience was pretty much seamless. The car was almost new showroom condition throughout. I have met the salesman that handled my purchase a few times at Hopwood SC when he has been giving potential customers an 'experience' and he has yet to fail to remember my name and always asks me to give a frank opinion to his clients.

I am aware that Birmingham SC has had some issues for some people but, personally, I have never had anything other than great service and support from them whether the problem is self made (a couple of times) or a fault of the car.

I bought from Birmingham in September 2016...

Unfortunately, anything after this point isn't helpful in terms of how Tesla handle used car sales now.

When you bought yours the policy was to restore to as close to 'new' condition as possible.

Tesla did a complete 180 on that earlier this year and now the policy is to sell them as is, no matter how bad it actually is...

Unfortunately, anything after this point isn't helpful in terms of how Tesla handle used car sales now.

When you bought yours the policy was to restore to as close to 'new' condition as possible.

Tesla did a complete 180 on that earlier this year and now the policy is to sell them as is, no matter how bad it actually is...

This is pretty accurate, lots of problems in the US over this, they do do a mechanical inspection but any body work or cosmetic stuff is down to you, anything mechanical you'd be covered under the warranty anyway.

Check the specs of any car closely - if you're buying from Tesla there are a number of CPO sites that often give you more inventory than Tesla list, and certainly more details on price history and options,.if you're buying privately, because the spec changes from time to time, and because many are ignorant on transferable supercharging, whether upgraded chargers are fitted etc, I suggest you ask them to use a site that lists out the spec of the car if they log in, This one is completely free, no temporary trials to sign up to, no details kept or so they say, and it will give you an accurate description and details of the VIN so you can check

Tesla Info: Get car config, charging and status info

hey also list the UK stock from other sellers I believe, seems a good one stop option. Or you can use ec-cpo but you have to play with the filters to only see UK stock, seems to be more geared to the US market.

My mate has just ordered a CPO from Tesla UK.

The experience has changed completely from last year. Enquiries are dealt with offshore (somewhere in the EU) by non-native English speakers. As noted above, they no longer warrant the car to be "as new". On enquiring, they provide a web link with a 360-degree view of the car and interior photos, along with a list of cosmetic issues (scratches/damage/etc) noted during inspection. The view isn't good enough to see any of the listed damage and is pretty worthless tbh.

I have had a lot of expensive cosmetic work done by Tesla on my year-old CPO and can see why they have made this change.

The process after this is as chaotic and "Tesla" as usual, with the finance application process not working, random phone-calls to and from different people at Tesla, etc.