Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Tesla process through Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Yall,

We just started the process of buying a used 2019 Model 3 go through the Tesla site. This will be our first Tesla let alone EV so we're just excited and anxious to get it. I was curious about what usually the time frame from start to finish some of you who may have gone through the same process. Currently, we have purchased the car online, financing has been completed, we got in contact with a sales rep from the location the car is at (shop in Paramus) and now I think we're waiting for a delivery rep to call. We decided to go pick up the car since we're 8hr away and figure it would be a nice road trip as well as getting used to driving the Model 3 or any EV for the 1st time. Any newcomer tips or suggestions is welcomed

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Since you are picking the car up at it’s current location I’m assuming Tesla is not charging you the $2,000 transport fee, right?

The only downside to doing this is you may drive 8 hours to pick up the car only to find out it’s not in as good condition as you were expecting, and then you will have to decide if you can live with it or drive back without the car.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Not that old...
You know which month it was built?
Is it a demo car or does it was own by someone?
How many miles and which model and options?
How much discount compare to a new who would still have the $1,875 Tax Rebate?

04/19
6500 miles(not exact number didn't feel like looking it up but it 65 and some change)
Model 3, red, AWD, with FSD, 19-inch rims
As for the discount, tax, and stuff I let the wife handle all of that. She is getting degrees in accounting so...yea. she's not near me at the moment to ask lol

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Congratulations! I think you are much more likely to have a "good experience" with a used 2019 tesla with 6500 miles than if it had 120 miles.

As for tips, the tesla will not let you run out of power on the way home if you listen to it, but if you want to do additional planning you can go to an online site called "a better route planner.
A Better Routeplanner

Enjoy your drive home and new tesla!

Since you are picking the car up at it’s current location I’m assuming Tesla is not charging you the $2,000 transport fee, right?

The only downside to doing this is you may drive 8 hours to pick up the car only to find out it’s not in as good condition as you were expecting, and then you will have to decide if you can live with it or drive back without the car.
I'm not sure how accurate they are, but usually used inventory cars have dozens of pictures covering the exterior condition which can be somewhat reassuring compared to a long-distance "new" purchase.

I'm not sure how accurate they are, but usually used inventory cars have dozens of pictures covering the exterior condition which can be somewhat reassuring compared to a long-distance "new" purchase.

Correct, they provide us with lots of pictures inside, outside and even both trunks. They are up close plus since it's at the Tesla dealership, we will get to inspect it and the rep will go over things with us about the car before leaving so I'm pretty positive going into it.

I saw that originally before buying mine. Buying new as optioned red, 19" wheels, AWD, FSD would be 57,500 less the rebate of 1850.00 = 55,650. I believe they where asking 56,400 for the used one? So its not the greatest deal, especially with 6500 miles on it. But you can buy this one now verses waiting and you probably wouldn't get delivery in time for the rebate. Maybe see if they will add the 2 year free SC promo they were running in Sept.

I saw that originally before buying mine. Buying new as optioned red, 19" wheels, AWD, FSD would be 57,500 less the rebate of 1850.00 = 55,650. I believe they where asking 56,400 for the used one? So its not the greatest deal, especially with 6500 miles on it. But you can buy this one now verses waiting and you probably wouldn't get delivery in time for the rebate. Maybe see if they will add the 2 year free SC promo they were running in Sept.

The delivery time was an issue as we're currently without a car due to an accident, don't let relatives drive your car lol, anyway so we need a car sooner rather than later. I'll check on that SC promo. Thanks for the info

Oh that may have been a different one. After everything, we're paying a little over $52K

It's in the mail on its way from Tesla. I have an electrician coming out at the beginning of next week to install but guess I'll have the car first. I probably won't drive it until the charger is installed in the garage

I dont think its a great plan to schedule the installation of the HPWC before you actually receive it. Tesla is fairly horrific at shipping things from its online store, and you run the very real risk of scheduling the installation and not having the HPWC, unless you have a verified tracking number from them that has actually left the factory.

So do anyone has any previous experience with the used car process through Tesla and the average time frame it normally takes from start to pickup vehicle?

Yes. 2 days for a LR that was local. But that only happened after numerous calls and a threat to cancel. Basically Iwnent through everything and Tesla went silent for 48 hrs. Car was at the location, so what was taking so long for delivery? Anyways, I guess it depends on what the car needs