Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used - what max mileage would you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought ours third party with 39000 miles on it. It now has 149,000. There have been some inexpensive repairs. I suppose we've spent fifteen hundred bucks on it. Still runs great, still gets over 250 miles on a full charge. Not exactly sure what, as I'm never patient enough to wait all the way. We also had the four year service performed at 49,000 miles, while we still have the bumper to bumper. Tesla did find a few odd things they repaired on their dime. They have done a number of Goodwill repairs then and since then as well. I know people complain, and it did take me six weeks to get in last time, but the service once you get there he is amazing. As is the care of the people who work for Tesla.

I think the high mileage Teslas are probably a good deal. Priced traditionally like an ICE on its last legs, but actually ready to go for many more miles. While the general condition of the car is important, the number of miles is nowhere near as critical as it was for ICE.

Drop the myth that miles kill ICE a lot of ICE go hundreds of thousands of miles I have owned a couple over 200k one was near 300k. Deer took one out and rust took out the other.

People want to talk about an engine or transmission failure but when a Tesla charger is $2200, that is approaching the cost of a transmission in a domestic car and chargers do fail.

Only ICE engine I ever had fail was heavily modified and making near twice the HP it was designed for.

I’m selling my 2013 for $27,800 with 170k miles. Recently rented a new Cadillac, was shocked how much better my S is. It’s tragic how bad our cars depreciate because we’re anchored to ICE traditional mileage depreciation.

I’m selling my 2013 for $27,800 with 170k miles. Recently rented a new Cadillac, was shocked how much better my S is. It’s tragic how bad our cars depreciate because we’re anchored to ICE traditional mileage depreciation.

Why sell?

Likely it’s worth a lot more to you. I’m cruising past 145k miles with my S and looking to drive it for the foreseeable future. I have always kept cars for 10 years or more though. Mine still drives like it’s new and with updates it is better, and much different than when I bought it. Mine is a daily driver. We still have an ICE vehicle, but have a battery tender on it and rarely drive it.

Trading in, or selling Teslas to get the latest upgrade in hardware is very expensive. If you can afford it I guess you won’t miss that $60k in depreciation every four years.

Reactions: henderrj
Why sell?

Likely it’s worth a lot more to you. I’m cruising past 145k miles with my S and looking to drive it for the foreseeable future. I have always kept cars for 10 years or more though. Mine still drives like it’s new and with updates it is better, and much different than when I bought it. Mine is a daily driver. We still have an ICE vehicle, but have a battery tender on it and rarely drive it.

Trading in, or selling Teslas to get the latest upgrade in hardware is very expensive. If you can afford it I guess you won’t miss that $60k in depreciation every four years.

I'm with you, we've got a hundred and fifty K on an AP1 car also. Still runs great! Although, I must admit that I'm beginning to want ap2. If they do release a larger battery pack I might have to sell one of the kids and buy new.

How bout this as a rule? Don’t think about selling your Tesla until your miles surpass the dollar amount spent.... everything you drive over that amount is saving you 4 times the amount you spent... yeahhhhh that’s the ticket.... those guys on the superchargers visited threads are multimillionaires