Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing Sound From Left Front Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While parked in my garage, my refreshed S90D recently has developed a buzzing sound coming from the left front of the car. It's not always on, but it is on most of the time. It may also be occurring while driving, but I can't tell. Something is running, and it stays on even if I turn the car off. Anyone got any ideas?

I have the same issue. Does not exist on our 70D. I've recorded the sound. SC has looked once and claims it is "normal". Does not in any way seem normal to have a pump running close to 24/7 on the car. Have started the escalation process with Tesla. Please keep us posted on any updates to the issue you find.

Not a fan. The sound is close to 24/7 and is more of a humming sound. It does not matter if the car is charging or not. The Dania Beach SC claims it is "normal" but clearly it is not. Our other MS does not make this sound and the SC was not able to tell me what system was making the sound. They are just over run with cars to service and wanted mine gone (they had it for 5 days).

Not a fan. The sound is close to 24/7 and is more of a humming sound. It does not matter if the car is charging or not. The Dania Beach SC claims it is "normal" but clearly it is not. Our other MS does not make this sound and the SC was not able to tell me what system was making the sound. They are just over run with cars to service and wanted mine gone (they had it for 5 days).
Check whether the little flaps in the vents are not stuck on something. When my car sits alone for a while, when I open the doors the flaps open all the way and close to recalibrate (I assume) - if something was blocking a flap it could me continously try to close (or open) it.

By left, do you mean passenger side? I have this too on my P90DL - some say it's normal, others say that it's attributable to a bad ballast for one of the headlights, as the sound seems like it is coming from right behind them.

The SC pulled the head lights and the sound remained (drivers side).

whiteX - checked, not a vent flap - it does sound
1. Do you have air suspension? There is a pump involved there.
2. Not sure about your level of comfort going beyond just looking, but it only takes about 10 minutes (or less if you've done it before) to remove the plastics and the frunk plastic tub, exposing all parts underneath (see picture below from my car). There aren't many "layers" or parts, most things are laid out pretty flat. You could listen and narrow down where the noise is coming from. It could be that some temperature sensor is broken and the fan is constantly on (there is a large fan on each side), or maybe air suspension compressor never turns off for some reason. Again though, car under warranty so you SC should be able to debug, but if you have the time and will to do it, it could provide more information to them (e.g. if you find the part making constant noise, take a picture of it and give it to the SC).
MS_under_hood.png

My car was in the SC yesterday for another (cosmetic) reason, and had them look at the buzzing issue. I even brought a recording of the noise I made on my iPhone. I was assured that it was "normal." Since it hasn't happened until very recently on a car I've had for 3 months and 5K miles, that doesn't sound like a "normal" thing.

Whitex, I'm going to do as you suggest and take off the frunk liner and expose the innards and see if i can locate where it's coming from. Thanks for the idea. And yes, I do have the air suspension.

1. Do you have air suspension? There is a pump involved there.
2. Not sure about your level of comfort going beyond just looking, but it only takes about 10 minutes (or less if you've done it before) to remove the plastics and the frunk plastic tub, exposing all parts underneath (see picture below from my car). There aren't many "layers" or parts, most things are laid out pretty flat. You could listen and narrow down where the noise is coming from. It could be that some temperature sensor is broken and the fan is constantly on (there is a large fan on each side), or maybe air suspension compressor never turns off for some reason. Again though, car under warranty so you SC should be able to debug, but if you have the time and will to do it, it could provide more information to them (e.g. if you find the part making constant noise, take a picture of it and give it to the SC).
View attachment 201063

You can also take a short piece of PVC pipe to use to localize the sound. Touch it (carefully) to things and feel for vibration or put other end near ear.

Update. I took the frunk tub out and disconnected the headlights. It was the right headlight making the humming sound. Pretty disappointed in Tesla maintenance who claimed to have checked the headlights for the noise. Clearly they did not, so someone at the SC signed off on work they did not do. Second time I have caught them doing this. Very disappointing.

I have an intermittent high frequency hollow vibration sound that comes from the left front area on my 2016 MS. This is different than what others are posting here but it has been driving me crazy. It only happens when I drive over a rough surface, even changing lanes and going over lane reflectors will trigger it sometimes. The Dania Beach SC looked at it twice and replaced some parts around the left AC vent but no difference whatsoever. I think the issues is with the cheap hollow plastic AC vent blades. Has anyone else heard of this?