TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'California' started by chronopc, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Evangeline

Evangeline Member

Mailed 02/07, still waiting for them to cash the check.

Is there a downside to submitting a new application and sending it certified this time? Could that cause me to get put to the back of the line? But from recent responses, looks like I've got another month to wait to receive them, so that's reassuring (frustrating, but reassuring).

It's annoying when these are only good for a finite period of time that their delay is cutting into!

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Sending a new application puts you at the back of the pile. They are 2 months behind. They open the mail in order, and once opened they cash your check and send out the stickers pretty promptly. Not their fault--understaffed and underfunded, and flooded with way more applications then the office was set up for a few years ago.

3. CAVol

CAVol Member

Like others, I was getting concerned with no movement, and early last week was actually able to speak with someone in the department that actually issues the stickers. He did confirm that they were approximately 8 weeks turnaround due to the number of applications. Dude was super helpful and looked everything up for me. Confirmed they did have my package and that it was “in review”, check hadn’t been cashed, but said to expect it 3-4 days after checked cashed. I didn’t bother to keep track of the check, but was happy to see the stickers arrive yesterday.

I did order a small roll of PPF to apply the stickers. Question - I’d like to cut the sticker flush with the purple and not have the larger white trim - has anyone done this? I’m assuming it isn’t kosher with the DMV

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Here are my stickers:

IMG_2787.JPG

I trimmed the white border, and applied them to Xpel first, cut them out, then attached the Xpel to the car.

If you think about it, the prior white stickers on a white car (popular car color) have essentially no contrast. The next gen red stickers do have a white border. AFAIK, the current fugly purple ones contrast with (clash with) essentially every factory color of the qualifying set of cars sold in CA (...does anyone know of a car sold in this exact purple color??). And do you think that the DMV is on the road enforcing the stickers? Nope, it is the CHP. I doubt they are going to ticket you for a missing white border. Even now they are pretty loose with the number and placement of the stickers...they just really do not want to hear why you did not attach them to your car.

• Like x 1
  5. OCdave

OCdave Member

the process is so delayed compared to last year. My wife sent in her application at the beginning of August and had the stickers in hand by September 1st. My application was sent Feb 2nd, check cashed March 29th, stickers received April 2nd. Just be patient

6. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Mailed check 1/25.
    Check cashed 3/22.
    Received stickers 3/29.

7. bdkn87

bdkn87 New Member

mailed 2/4, check cashed 4/4, stickers received 4/10

8. maximizese

maximizese Member

2/8 mailed app and check
    4/5 check is processed
    4/11 received decals

9. ronllave

ronllave Member

Mailed 2/21
    Check cashed 4/11
    Stickers received 4/17

10. mastaace

mastaace Member

Mailed 3/2 (priority with tracking)
    Check cashed 4/24
    Stickers received 5/1

11. Curb71

Curb71 Member

• Disagree x 1
  12. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

• Like x 1
  13. David3

David3 Member

Can you apply with the temporary license plate #?

14. Curb71

Curb71 Member

Nope. Just got my real plates and the plate number is completely different than what was on the paper plates.

• Disagree x 1
  15. David3

David3 Member

Ya I know temp plate and real plate # are different. I'm just wondering if anyone successfully applied with the temp plate since DMV might be able to link the temp and actual plate on their end.
    For my previous HOV sticker I was able to apply successfully leaving the plate # completely blank on the form and still got the sticker. Not sure if things has changed since then.

16. maximizese

maximizese Member

I wouldn't recommend that. It takes a little over 8 weeks on average and I wouldn't want someone to waste their time waiting if the application is going to be rejected. I understand some folks are waiting upwards of 6 months for their plates, hinting the processes is bottlenecked at the title issuing from Tesla's part.

17. nikaya

nikaya New Member

I applied with my temporary plates and just received my decals today

• Informative x 2
  18. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

I have no plates, no stickers ahhhh

19. nikaya

nikaya New Member

You can apply with temporary plates. That's what I did and it went through.

20. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

For those that don't want to wait for their plates before applying, my plates just arrived; 18 days after purchase (13 business days). I don't remember ever receiving plates faster than this.