TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CA: Looking for car-wash recommendations in Oakland/Berkeley/Emeryville/Alameda area

Discussion in 'California' started by jimratliff, Jun 28, 2014.

1. jimratliff

jimratliff Member

I've already had my Model S given the Opticoat Pro treatment by Joe Torbati at Orinda Auto Detail, so I don't need expertise that advanced. But Orinda is too far for the routine car washing, so I'm looking for some place fairly close to Oakland that will use proper methodology during a wash as not to damage the finish; e.g., a three-bucket hand-wash system.

(It's impossible to tell this from Yelp reviews because the reviewers don't demonstrate that they would know right from wrong in this regard, and I visited a highly favorably reviewed place and they were not using even a two-bucket system.)

Any East Bay recommendations from the Bay side of the hills, e.g., Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, or Emeryville?

Thanks in advance!

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Probably won't help, but I personally use Autopia (multiple locations in the greater SF Bay Area...see http://www.autopiacarwash.com/) in Walnut Creek. They know my S, know how to drive it, do NOT run it through the tunnel (always an 'off line' wash). They pressure rinse, wash, compressed air and hand dry. Very good job and works great on my multi-coat red which Joe OptiCoated a year ago (...still looks fabulous). FWIW, Autopia charger $35 for a thorough off line wash. But a full month package (unlimited washes) costs $69.95. I get mine done 2x per week. YMMV.

3. jimratliff

jimratliff Member

Thanks, JPP. It's good to know about this, if only to know what we're missing on the Bay side of the hills. Knowing where they are, I can at least try to fit them in with other trips.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Cannot personally vouch for the other locations besides WC, so if you do go to one, be sure to verify that you want an 'off line' wash (no tunnel).

5. Larry

Larry Member

Thanks for the tip JPP. Had Autopia Walnut Creek do a complete detail and they did an excellent job inside and out.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Moderator note: Updated thread title to include region (CA: ).

Quick plea to posters ... if you are asking a regional question, not everyone worldwide will immediately recognize the city names as part of your region. Yes, they can check the subforum title, but it's easier on everyone if your thread title includes a little more info. (Not calling out the OP specifically, this is something the mods are constantly fixing all over the board.)

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

Glad it worked out...was just there earlier today for my routine 2x/week wash.