Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection drain rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad time of year to ask for examples, but I’ll ask anyways. Gotta be some southern climate owners here.

What drain rate are you seeing when you have the overheat protection on?

With hot muggy summers in MI, and car interiors reaching 140+, trying to keep my cabin at something like 80 seems like the fan would be on 30 minutes of every hour.

What is your experience?

I live in the South and temperatures have been in the 80's. I am parked in a sunny parking lot for about 10 hours. The cabin overheat protection is set on 105F. I find it only works well if I let it use air conditioning. It seems to use about 10 miles/range per day. I know from turning on my climate control in my office in the afternoon that the car cools from 105 to 75 in about 2 minutes. I don't know how many times it cycles per hour to keep the temperature below 105 or how much energy is consumed by the computer to check the temperature.

Cabin overheat is only like 105. To keep the car at 80 will require a lot of power, if I remember correctly, it's over 15 miles per hour.
It's not worth it, unless you have perishables in the car. They car itself has no issues with high temperatures and because the AC is electric, it cools the car quickly.

I am about to go out of town for 3 weeks. On my last trip, I had my Tesla 3 plugged in and I turned on Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat Protection. Also, I had set up the car to charge every morning at 7:30 am.

Unfortunately, after 2 days (when I was out of town), the car computer shut down, which caused the automatic charging (or any charging) to stop. Since Sentry Mode and Cabin Heat Protection were still on, the car was losing tremendous charge daily. I couldn’t connect via the iPhone app to turn off Sentry Mode, and neither could the Tesla Service Center. The car automatically turned off Sentry Mode when the charge level dropped to 20%, but was still losing tremendous charge (presumably, because of Cabin Overheat Protection). Luckily, I as able to have a friend get my keycard and go into the car and reboot the system. Immediately upon reboot, the car started charging and all was good (I was still out of town).

Later, I had scheduled a service appointment, but they didn’t know what might have caused the computer to shut down. (I think it was the constant demands of Sentry Mode since I park in an apartment garage with many other people constantly driving and walking by the car.) They pushed a software update so I am now running 2019.16.3.2. I had been running 2019.12.1.2.

It was incredibly stressful to be out of town trying to deal with this before my car lost all power, especially because towing my car out of the garage would have been incredibly difficult.

Now my question: For my next trip, if I leave Cabin Overheat Protection off so as to not lose charge and possibly have a repeat of this awful experience, will I be creating other problems for my car? I plan to keep the car plugged in and set to charge daily at 7:30 am. The garage I park in is open air and it may be hot in Chicago in July. Should I leave Cabin Overheat Protection off and then turn it back on when I return?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.