Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're saying that the miles lost come mostly from having sentry mode on rather than the cabin overheat protection?

Your miles lost are coming from both. I'm just saying that sentry mode still uses power even when there are no events taking place around the car. On a hot day, cabin overheat protection will use more energy than sentry mode.

Reactions: mswlogo
For me, it “works” like this: fan turns on somewhere between 118-123 degrees, stays on until car gets down to about 105 then turns off. Repeat cycle.

I have the “no ac” option selected for cabin overheat protection.

I have mine set to no a/c as well, because it's not plugged in at home and because I don't like the idea of using lots of energy anyway.

I just checked me app, and it said interior temp was 139 degrees but now it's dropping rapidly (currently at 104 degrees). I have a front sun-shield as well as the roof and rear mesh sun-guards.

Your miles lost are coming from both. I'm just saying that sentry mode still uses power even when there are no events taking place around the car. On a hot day, cabin overheat protection will use more energy than sentry mode.

Gotcha, I should try keeping sentry mode off and also change cabin overheat settings from A/C to no A/C and see how much that improves loss in miles.

I have mine set to no a/c as well, because it's not plugged in at home and because I don't like the idea of using lots of energy anyway.

I just checked me app, and it said interior temp was 139 degrees but now it's dropping rapidly (currently at 104 degrees). I have a front sun-shield as well as the roof and rear mesh sun-guards.
I've noticed the same behavior over the last few weeks. I use fan-only COP and leave the Tesla app open in the background with "background refresh" enabled (iPhone 6). My car is also typically charging at work during the afternoon with Sentry enabled.

If I open the app after having not looked at it in a few hours, I'll notice an interior temperature of 140-150F, but opening the app seems to trigger the overheat protection. If I check again in 10 minutes or just leave the phone display on, it will drop to 115-125F.

• Informative
Reactions: Wooloomooloo
Gotcha, I should try keeping sentry mode off and also change cabin overheat settings from A/C to no A/C and see how much that improves loss in miles.

Doing both of those things will significantly improve your range loss. It's a balance of deciding what's important to you ... range and efficiency, security, cabin temperature.
I've noticed the same behavior over the last few weeks. I use fan-only COP and leave the Tesla app open in the background with "background refresh" enabled (iPhone 6). My car is also typically charging at work during the afternoon with Sentry enabled.

If I open the app after having not looked at it in a few hours, I'll notice an interior temperature of 140-150F, but opening the app seems to trigger the overheat protection. If I check again in 10 minutes or just leave the phone display on, it will drop to 115-125F.

I’ve noticed that, as well. Seems like it might be a bug with the no A/C mode. Regular A/C mode seems to work perfectly fine.

This is interesting behavior as I always assumed leaving cabin overheat protection on would prevent the car from fully sleeping. Mine probably does the same thing... I may adjust my Teslafi settings as an experiment to prevent the car from sleeping to see if that helps keep things cooler.

Back to the original question. When I upgraded to 4.2 the cabin overheat with A/C stopped working reliably even after all the usual reboots. I think there is a new bug introduced that needs to be addressed. Sometimes it works....sometimes the car is 134 degrees or so.

Back to the original question. When I upgraded to 4.2 the cabin overheat with A/C stopped working reliably even after all the usual reboots. I think there is a new bug introduced that needs to be addressed. Sometimes it works....sometimes the car is 134 degrees or so.

What may seem as a bug may be a feature. It could be Tesla decided to limit the number of A/C compressor cycles per hour?

This is interesting behavior as I always assumed leaving cabin overheat protection on would prevent the car from fully sleeping. Mine probably does the same thing... I may adjust my Teslafi settings as an experiment to prevent the car from sleeping to see if that helps keep things cooler.
I'm not sure how it behaves when sleeping or if it keeps the car awake. I charge and use Sentry Mode at work, so my car never goes to sleep during the day.