Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the outdoor temps are in the 100s the car does heat up very quickly between cool downs so I can see why more energy is used to maintain the max 104F limit. I'm a believer in using Cabin Overheat Protection to keep the in-car temp lower for the electronics. Just have to remember to sit in the car each morning during this time of year if I don't use the car that day for errands.

So does anyone have an answer for this, since I can't really see the comparison? Is the "fan only" version of overheat protection only available on Model 3 and not on the S or X?

Can't speak to non-3s, but IIRC, since taking delivery of my Model 3 in late March I've always had 3 options of: "OFF", "NO A/C", and "ON" for Cabin Overheat Protection. So versions ~2019.8.5 through .20.2.1.

I wonder if some old Model S's that were susceptible to problems with screens with hot temps (glue? separation??) only have the "ON" mode to help with that issue?? Probably not a good theory since you can still just turn it off, and even 'on' doesn't last forever, only 12 hours? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's been about a year since I made this post so I figured I'd make an update.

Car facts:

* 2018 Model 3 LR
* 20% PhotoSync tint on all vertical windows, 75% PhotoSync on windshield and back glass
* Still using cabin overheat with no A/C, temps hover in the 125-135 F range with the windows cracked. It'll climb over 140 with them closed. I've seen as high as 178 F (as reported by the car) with no cabin overheat on so it's making a difference.
* Using cabin overheat WITH A/C burns even more battery than I originally reported during really hot and sunny days. As much as 20% battery for one work day.

I'm surprised yours is using that much. I've had mine on with A/C the last few weeks (when it was blazing hot in Tucson) and it was only using about 5-10% of the battery during the day. I've got 35% tint all-around, sun-shade up front, mesh shade on the roof glass.