Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature when parked/Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in Portugal, not UK. Although I have the car for some 9 months this is the first time I don’t have a garage or something to keep the car protected.

With sentry I have been seeing my battery going on a crazy rate, something like 50kms plus per day (the street has some movement).

now with cabin overheat protection I will loose a couple more kms per day ... maybe 10kms per day ?

for what I read cabin protection is not working for extended periods since after 12 hours it stops acting ... venting is not an option as the car is on a public street.

I guess I’ll probably try to turn off sentry during the day and try to get some windshield cover (don’t remember the English word for it).

by the way since I only have a supercharger nearby to charge and basically I am only charging for phantom drain is there any thing I should do to avoid messing up the battery ? I see the super chargers have 2 cables ... should I use a particular one ?

now with cabin overheat protection I will loose a couple more kms per day ... maybe 10kms per day ?

for what I read cabin protection is not working for extended periods since after 12 hours it stops acting ... venting is not an option as the car is on a public street.

Cabin overheat here was very efficient albeit max temp low 50's. I lost approx 5% battery over 7 days - say 15 miles / 24km over 7 days, 3-1/2km / day. Thats whole car losses, cabin overheat protection would have been a part of that. No sentry.

The 12 hour limit seemed to have been removed in 2020.16 but see my caveat above as I'm not convinced mine is working in 2020.20.

You should use a Windshield sunscreen. This help a lot for educing the sun overheating the car.
I first bought them, including the roof and rear hatch back reflectors. They are not as effective as the cover and believe it or not, if I remove and fold it up a certain way, it can be put on much faster than the internal reflectors. Reflectors are better than nothing but nowhere near as good as the car cover.

I have another experiment to try and that is the Ceramic heat reflecting film on the glass. I'm hoping that will be for times I can't use the car cover. I only use the car cover at home where it is secure from theft.

Anyone else's car sleeping right through the hot midday sun?
I've been using Teslafi to set my sleep time schedule when the sun goes down and all night. During the day it never sleeps so I can monitor and limit the cabin temperature to it's preset. Battery drain isn't too bad.

Mine has been kept awake with sentry mode on, but I can at least confirm that 2020.20.12 is still keeping cabin overheat working past 12 hours - mine has been keeping below 40ºC for over 50 hours now.

20200620.png

20200622.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I’m in Portugal, not UK. Although I have the car for some 9 months this is the first time I don’t have a garage or something to keep the car protected.

With sentry I have been seeing my battery going on a crazy rate, something like 50kms plus per day (the street has some movement).

I guess I’ll probably try to turn off sentry during the day and try to get some windshield cover (don’t remember the English word for it).

by the way since I only have a supercharger nearby to charge and basically I am only charging for phantom drain is there any thing I should do to avoid messing up the battery ? I see the super chargers have 2 cables ... should I use a particular one ?
Your M3 will only wot with the CCS charger. The other is for MS and MX.
You could always try using overheat protection without A/C if you're worried about range loss? I guess it's better than nothing...

Maybe I spoke too soon. Car has been sleeping like a baby since 2020.20.12, Maybe too much like a baby...

I not convinced that cabin overheat protection kicked in today. On 2020.16.3 it certainly would have, and I would have seen more battery/range loss. Of course being asleep, I've got no record of peak cabin temperature.

View attachment 554907

Anyone else's car sleeping right through the hot midday sun? Ours slept right through the whole of yesterday, over 30 hours asleep. Unheard of. Not really sunny enough to worry about cabin temp, but today was a full on scorcher. The sort of day that cabin overheat protection worked well on.

Yep. Spoke too soon.

After all the good work that Tesla put into cabin overheat protection in 2020.16, it almost certainly does not work if car is left to sleep. Either that or it turn itself off...

I just manually woke the car up from a 15 hour sleep and cabin temp was over 45C, so cabin overheat protection not doing its job. I'll have to check to see if somehow, overheat protection has turned itself off, otherwise, pretty disapointed that this useful feature is no longer working.

upload_2020-6-23_11-33-9.png

Yep. Spoke too soon.

After all the good work that Tesla put into cabin overheat protection in 2020.16, it almost certainly does not work if car is left to sleep. Either that or it turn itself off...

I just manually woke the car up from a 15 hour sleep and cabin temp was over 45C, so cabin overheat protection not doing its job. I'll have to check to see if somehow, overheat protection has turned itself off, otherwise, pretty disapointed that this useful feature is no longer working.

View attachment 555181

Odd that as mine is still working and has been every day the sun has come out.
I did notice though that with the latest update my choice of fan only was changed to AC + fan.

Maybe it only carries on working if the car never sleeps for 12+ hours?

The tooltip for the option says that it only works for 12 hours after the car was last driven. But then again it also does (or did) say that it can't be used when Tilt/Intrusion is enabled, yet it now does, and you can't even turn that option off anymore.

I'm still trying to make sense of how some people apparently have Cabin Overheat Protection working all the time, without driving/manually waking their car up, and others don't.

My car has inexplicably been "falling asleep" for the past 3 hours and 20 minutes, and the interior temperature is apparently 20C (it's in the shade currently), which is lower than the outside temperature somehow. :eek:

upload_2020-6-23_12-42-20.png

Since manually waking an hour or so ago, cabin overheat has bought the cabin temperature down 5C to a little over 40C. I had been near the car for much of that time so could hear the fans running.

Odd that as mine is still working and has been every day the sun has come out.
I did notice though that with the latest update my choice of fan only was changed to AC + fan.

Had your car been sleeping or awake, say with sentry on? What version software?

The tooltip for the option says that it only works for 12 hours after the car was last driven. But then again it also does (or did) say that it can't be used when Tilt/Intrusion is enabled, yet it now does, and you can't even turn that option off anymore.

Yes, odd. Goes against the behaviour that I had in 2020.16 and now lost in 2020.20, so my behaviour is as documented. The 12 hour limitation makes no sense, unless it reset on a daily basis, but even then, if car gets hot, what cabin overheat did for me under 2020.16 (keeping cabin below 39C) worked very well. Car is going for a drive this afternoon, so will see how it behaves tomorrow, but by time it starts to warm up tomorrow, it will be past the 12 hour restriction so I'm not expecting to see it work if it follows the tooltip.

Welp, I woke my car up manually at about 15:00 today, thinking it must surely be hotter than 40C inside already given it was 29C outside. As soon as it woke up the aircon kicked in, and it's been "falling asleep" ever since, periodically starting the AC/fans up to keep it below 40C. Going to be the same deal tomorrow I guess.

Will be interesting to see how much battery is used on these super hot days.

36°C is cold! :)

Here in FL I was getting up to 145°F 63°C . That's with the cabin overheat off. With it on it did keep it below 105°F 40°C. But the battery drain was eating 20 miles 32KM range per day. I have deep sleep at night.

So I did the ceramic tint and that helps but it's still peaking out at 130°F 54°C on hot sunny days. At least now the cabin overheat is doing much better on battery drain.

Reactions: Durzel