Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature when parked/Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I understand your question but it works perfectly Whole what? The wifi antenna is only on the passenger's side mirror. Not sure for UK version where the driver's side is on the right. Easy enough to take the mirror plastic cover off and look-see.

View attachment 540726View attachment 540727
I think the "whole" comment is a two countries separated by a common language thing:)

This thread may explain?

Taking the cover off looks like the answer, need a brave UK owner.

I’ve noticed that my cabin overheat protection has become disabled and Tilt/Intrusion re-enabled, out of the blue. I wonder if this happens automatically after the 12 hours has ended? (you can’t enable tilt/intrusion with cabin overheat enabled)

Can anyone else confirm? No other setting changes itself..

I disabled tilt lat night and enabled Cabin overheat protection (no ac) and woke up on this baking day to find temperatures of 45C in the car?! venting the windows apparently kicked in the fans and they brought temp down to 36C but the car is not 47C again (cabin with AC protec now) is not kicking in, weird.

Some things I've found out today..

If you have Sentry Mode enabled, even if you're at home and your home is excluded from it (so Sentry isn't actually on), "Tilt/Intrusion" and "Security Alarm" are enabled and inaccessible (you can't toggle them). The only way you can enable Cabin Overheat from this state is by disabling Sentry Mode.

I strongly suspect that after 12 hours has elapsed from the last time the car was driven, Tilt/Intrusion is automatically toggled ON and Cabin Overheat OFF (the tooltip says it will only work up to 12 hours after the last drive). Don't know if Summoning counts as driving or not.

Parking the car nose first against the garage has lowered the temperatures very slightly. I think this is because the top and rear windows are UV filtered and tinted, whereas the front windscreen is not. This is just speculative though.

Does venting the windows make much difference?

Reactions: Cnixon
Hello all, after looking at my app and noticing 65C inside I came here anda started looking for info to see if this is an issue.

from all I read it seams like not being an issue right ?

venting the car does not seam doable since I cannot be venting the car every other hour for days and days.

so am I good assuming this will not become an issue ?

Hello all, after looking at my app and noticing 65C inside I came here anda started looking for info to see if this is an issue.

venting the car does not seam doable since I cannot be venting the car every other hour for days and days.

You can only benefit from venting if you are happy to leave the windows open, potentially all day. Venting a few times in the day won't make much difference. I'm new to using the cabin overheat protection feature but it does work. Being in Portugal you may want to check out the US areas of the forum where they are routinely used to dealing with serious summer heat and who have had their Teslas for a few years.

I've been doing some 24hr battery drain with Sentry on-off and Cabin Overheat on-off testing here.
Sentry has the greatest drain on the battery even with Home excluded. Typically I see about 18-24 miles per day reduction.

Now add Cabin Overheat and that has a reduction of 3.2 miles per daytime sun and it keeps the interior temps below 40° C.

If I shut off both of these the phantom battery drain is only 0.5-1 miles per day reduction. But the daytime Florida sun here is now hitting 62°C. I really don't think that is good for the interior materials.

Since I don't have a large garage, I use the car cover and while this is not perfect, It keeps the interior below 36°C which is actually better than Cabin overheat protection active.

IMG_1805.jpg

Are you in the UK? 65C sounds very high, although it looks like it’s going to be 29C on Wednesday and Thursday so I’ve been thinking about this too.

In my experience, and what the in car help info says, Cabin Overheat Protection only works for up to 12 hours after the car was last driven. Just walking the car up seems to count as “driven”. The times the car has been in a deep sleep it hasn’t woken itself up to cool down, but once I’ve woken it up manually once it then takes care of itself.

It’s frustrating that you can’t see how hot the car is without waking it up, because if you think the function is working then you have to assume that it hasn’t woken itself up because it’s not hotter than 40C inside, and you can’t verify that without waking it... I’ve ended up chickening out and waking it when I think it’s probably too hot, if it hasn’t done it already.

Reactions: Les Mann
Cabin overheat protection now works very well here in UK.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Car has been sleeping like a baby since 2020.20.12, Maybe too much like a baby...

I not convinced that cabin overheat protection kicked in today. On 2020.16.3 it certainly would have, and I would have seen more battery/range loss. Of course being asleep, I've got no record of peak cabin temperature.

upload_2020-6-22_19-40-14.png

Anyone else's car sleeping right through the hot midday sun? Ours slept right through the whole of yesterday, over 30 hours asleep. Unheard of. Not really sunny enough to worry about cabin temp, but today was a full on scorcher. The sort of day that cabin overheat protection worked well on.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado