Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable management f/home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my NEMA 14-50 receptacle/outlet installed for my MYLR expected in a few months. My issue is that due to how my house/garage is configured, it’s about 8-10 feet from where the car’s charge port will be when parked. I have a Tesla cable organizer kit and I would like to loop the cable on the wall back by the back of the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts for supporting/securing the cable between the outlet and where I want the looped cable hanger placed?

Oh yeah…thanks to how the sheet rock and cinder block is built, I’ve had the outlet installed “upside down” and will be hanging the charging unit above the outlet instead of below. (Like the second installation picture in the Tesla Shop product description.)

JP75W-L20 would be a fine hanger for the UMC cord. Might even be able to go a bit smaller.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue where my 240v outlet is on the other side of the garage. I had to get a extension cable and then hooked up my mobile charger (did not want to spend more money on the home charger) . No issues so far , its have been 3 month.

As for cable straps , try this solution for very thick cables.
The come with screws are short so I would replace with much longer screws.

20220121_165908.jpg
20220121_174148.jpg

Upvote 0
This is brilliant. I thought you had to order the home tesla charger. After reading now a bit more you get about 33 miles of range per hour with the mobile charger and about 44 miles of range with the tesla Home charger that is directly wired. Thank you for the pictures and recommendations.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps but I mounted a track on my garage ceiling and hung the charging cable from it so I just pull it out when I need it and push it back when I don’:

Reactions: faimui
Upvote 0
I actually ordered he Tesla wall charger and it just got shipped. But since I already have my car since 2 weeks, I was going to the super charger. In the meantime, I got the Nema 14 - 50 adapter and I had an electriction come over to give me an estimate for the wall charger installation. He advised me that I would not need it and the Nema charger would be good enough to charge my MS LR. Since he had the outlet with him, he was able to install it right away.

My MS had little less than 50% battery left. So, I used the Nema charger with the mobile connector and it took a little over 10 hrs to charge my MSLR to 80%. It was charging 32/32A at 240V.

Honestly, I think this is more than enough and I don't feel like spending another $1000+ for the wall charger plus insallation costs.

Now I have to figure out how to return the Tesla wall charger for a full refund once it is delivered.

Upvote 0
I actually ordered he Tesla wall charger and it just got shipped. But since I already have my car since 2 weeks, I was going to the super charger. In the meantime, I got the Nema 14 - 50 adapter and I had an electriction come over to give me an estimate for the wall charger installation. He advised me that I would not need it and the Nema charger would be good enough to charge my MS LR. Since he had the outlet with him, he was able to install it right away.

My MS had little less than 50% battery left. So, I used the Nema charger with the mobile connector and it took a little over 10 hrs to charge my MSLR to 80%. It was charging 32/32A at 240V.

Honestly, I think this is more than enough and I don't feel like spending another $1000+ for the wall charger plus insallation costs.

Now I have to figure out how to return the Tesla wall charger for a full refund once it is delivered.
That math does not add up for charging a Tesla Long Range Model S with a 100kWh battery. Going from just under ~50% state of charge (SOC), i.e.~42kWh to 80% SOC, i.e. 72kWh is just 30kWh. When charging at 240V and 32A this is a 7.7kW charging rate. Even allowing for slightly less power (less than 240V) and overhead a 7kW effective charging rate should be able to add 30kWh to the Tesla Model S battery in a little over 4 hours. If it really took 10 hours then the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter likely overheated during the charging cycle. The Tesla Mobile Connector would have automatically lowered the charging amperage from 32A to 16A. This would explain why it took 10 hours to charge. You should have the electrician check the receptacle, wire connections.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
That math does not add up for charging a Tesla Long Range Model S with a 100kWh battery. Going from just under ~50% state of charge (SOC), i.e.~42kWh to 80% SOC, i.e. 72kWh is just 30kWh. When charging at 240V and 32A this is a 7.7kW charging rate. Even allowing for slightly less power (less than 240V) and overhead a 7kW effective charging rate should be able to add 30kWh to the Tesla Model S battery in a little over 4 hours. If it really took 10 hours then the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter likely overheated during the charging cycle. The Tesla Mobile Connector would have automatically lowered the charging amperage from 32A to 16A. This would explain why it took 10 hours to charge. You should have the electrician check the receptacle, wire connec
Honestly, I’m not aware of these specifics. I mentioned what I saw. For example, it’s charging right now and this is what my app is showing.

Attachments

• 1F7082CD-27E4-4253-80D3-05D94999B56A.jpeg
    1F7082CD-27E4-4253-80D3-05D94999B56A.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Honestly, I’m not aware of these specifics. I mentioned what I saw. For example, it’s charging right now and this is what my app is showing.
I think what you are seeing from the Tesla app is correct. It’s showing 31 miles per hour of charge at 32amps at 230 volts (7,620 kw per hour).

A full 100% charge on a 100,000 kwh battery at 7,620 kw should take about 13 hours.

But if you only need 30% ( going from 50% to 80%), it should only take about 4 hours. Not 10 hours. Unless either the charging was done before the 10 hours and you didn’t notice or the mobile charger is (as jcanoe mentioned) is overheating and shutting off to cool down. Since this is a new EVSE installation, it probably makes sense to keep an eye on the charging session the next time you charge. If the mobile charger shuts off before it’s done, have your electrician take a look.

Upvote 0
The photo of charging session shows that the Tesla Model S has only been charging for a few miles (3 miles added.) Check the charging status again after 1 hour and again after that to ensure that the charging amperage has not fallen from 32 amps (as shown in the photo) to 16 amps as could happen if the Tesla Mobile Connector indicated either a voltage sag or an overheating NEMA 14-50 power plug. If all is as it should be then the charging amperage should remain 32 amps for the entire charging session.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
I think what you are seeing from the Tesla app is correct. It’s showing 31 miles per hour of charge at 32amps at 230 volts (7,620 kw per hour).

A full 100% charge on a 100,000 kwh battery at 7,620 kw should take about 13 hours.

But if you only need 30% ( going from 50% to 80%), it should only take about 4 hours. Not 10 hours. Unless either the charging was done before the 10 hours and you didn’t notice or the mobile charger is (as jcanoe mentioned) is overheating and shutting off to cool down. Since this is a new EVSE installation, it probably makes sense to keep an eye on the charging session the next time you charge. If the mobile charger shuts off before it’s done, have your electrician take a look.
The photo of charging session shows that the Tesla Model S has only been charging for a few miles (3 miles added.) Check the charging status again after 1 hour and again after that to ensure that the charging amperage has not fallen from 32 amps (as shown in the photo) to 16 amps as could happen if the Tesla Mobile Connector indicated either a voltage sag or an overheating NEMA 14-50 power plug. If all is as it should be then the charging amperage should remain 32 amps for the entire charging session.
I appreciate the caution. This is my First Tesla or EV for that matter. I will keep an eye for sure. Yesterday I was monitoring and it was charging at 32 amps and was done in little over an hour.

Having said that, Do you guys think I should go with the OEM Wall charger? I got it delivered yesterday. I was planning to return it since the NEMA was doing the job for me.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the caution. This is my First Tesla or EV for that matter. I will keep an eye for sure. Yesterday I was monitoring and it was charging at 32 amps and was done in little over an hour.

Having said that, Do you guys think I should go with the OEM Wall charger? I got it delivered yesterday. I was planning to return it since the NEMA was doing the job for me.
Plenty of people just use the mobile connector that comes with the car; there's nothing wrong with doing that. I keep my mobile connector in the car as a backup in case of emergencies (I also use it when I go to the cabin.)

Another consideration is NEMA outlets need GFCI protection while the hardwired wall charger doesn't, so that can potentially save you $100 or so if you haven't already paid for a GFCI breaker.

It all depends on your particular needs. If you're going to get another mobile connector then you might as well just get the wall connector. If you never plan on charging it anywhere else and just want to use the mobile connector that came with your car then go ahead and do that. I would caution that the higher current plugs are generally not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging.

Upvote 0

If the Mobile Connector w/NEMA 14-50 plug adapter is working for your needs there is no reason to change since you already have had the NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed by your electrician. If the electrician determines that there is no loose connection at the receptacle or at the service panel, circuit breaker then you would have to look elsewhere for why the Tesla Model S may be charging at 16 amps instead of the expected 32A amps with this charging equipment. There is another possibility that the issue is with the Tesla Model S power conversion system (PCS) that controls the 120V and 240V charging. There is a recent thread on Reddit that describes the same issue but with a Tesla Model 3, i.e. charging being limited to 16 amps when it should charge at 32 amps.

Upvote 0
From what I understand
(1) The Gen 3 Tesla wall charger has a built-in GFI and 24ft flexible cable (I paid $495 from Tesla). We could use the nema 14-50 outlet BUT by Delaware code we have to install a dedicated GFI with 14-50 outlet. By the time U total cost , it's 50%-60% the costs of the Tesla wall charger, IMO it's no brainer
(2) As a point of reference , A semi-retired MASTER electrician will install 2(30A) breaker in my basement and run 40-45 ft of 6 gauge cable to my garage and then hard-wired my Gen 3 wall charger to it. His materials and labor costs is $950 which I think is excellent, especially from this Master. The next quote I got was $1200

Upvote 0
(1) The Gen 3 Tesla wall charger has a built-in GFI and 24ft flexible cable (I paid $495 from Tesla). We could use the nema 14-50 outlet BUT by Delaware code we have to install a dedicated GFI with 14-50 outlet.
You are correct, both the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector and the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector have built-in GFCI protection. This GFCI protects the user when plugging and unplugging the Tesla charging connector from the Tesla vehicle. The requirement for GFCI protection for any newly installed wall receptacle used for charging a plug-in vehicle is so there is GFCI protection when plugging and unplugging the Tesla Mobile Connector or other electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) from the wall receptacle. If there is no wall receptacle, i.e. the EVSE is hard wired as with the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector then a GFCI receptacle or GFCI circuit breaker is not required. (A GFCI receptacle and a GFCI circuit breaker perform the same function. You can only purchase GFCI receptacles for lower power. 120V installations, i.e. 15 or 20 amp 120V receptacles. Higher amperage, 240V receptacles require the GFCI to be at the circuit breaker as there is no available GFCI receptacle for these higher amperage, 240V receptacles.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I understand
(1) The Gen 3 Tesla wall charger has a built-in GFI and 24ft flexible cable (I paid $495 from Tesla). We could use the nema 14-50 outlet BUT by Delaware code we have to install a dedicated GFI with 14-50 outlet. By the time U total cost , it's 50%-60% the costs of the Tesla wall charger, IMO it's no brainer
(2) As a point of reference , A semi-retired MASTER electrician will install 2(30A) breaker in my basement and run 40-45 ft of 6 gauge cable to my garage and then hard-wired my Gen 3 wall charger to it. His materials and labor costs is $950 which I think is excellent, especially from this Master. The next quote I got was $1200
Ok, I gotta ask, since you put MASTER in capitals... What is your HPWC's charge rate going to be set to? What do you mean by 2(30A) breaker? If it means a 60 amp two pole breaker, that 6 gauge cable will be overdriven and your MASTER electrician should consider becoming fully retired. If it means a 30 amp two pole breaker, he only needs 10 gauge wire to support that, and again he should consider becoming fully retired. The only case where this comes out 'well' is if by 'cable' you meant 'conduit with individual conductors in it', in which case 6 gauge could just support the 60A breaker.

Upvote 0
2(30A) = 2 breakers at 30A each for a total of 60A for 6 gauge cable (conduit?)
MASTER = He's a Master Electrician, not just a regular electrician, He has 30+ yrs of experience who is also doing electrical work for our local fire department. Could be over-killed for this project but I would take him over any electrician out there. I am not an electrician by trade so my terminology could be very lousy

Upvote 0
2(30A) = 2 breakers at 30A each for a total of 60A
That's a 30 amp 240 volt circuit, and you'll be able to get 24A continuous charge out of it. In any case, I'll be interested in how your HPWC gets set up. I assume you are the person who came up with the 2(30A) terminology.

Even someone with 30 years experience can make mistakes. EVs are a newfangled thing and I think there are at least some electricians who don't realize they are considered continuous loads, or just don't care.

Upvote 0