Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAC increased, ideal miles decreased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you folks getting 200+ actual miles on a standard charge?
All city driving with a few stop-and-goes?
I can't ever seem to beat the ideal miles and am lucky if I get 80% of ideal by staying below 60mph.

I've often suspected a relationship like dhrivnak discovered. It's interesting to see some real data.

I was worried for a while when my car started having one brick that was always lower voltage than all the rest. It varies from .02 to .04 v lower than the average. It's always brick #1. But it's almost never the lowest Ah brick retrieved from the logs. I think the roadster has some intelligence that cycles different bricks into and out of the lowest Ah position to help maintain near equal capacity. In other words, I think it does some balancing by voltage in addition to balancing by Ah. That might account for some of the daily variations in ideal range.

Does anyone else have one brick that is always lower voltage?

How are you folks getting 200+ actual miles on a standard charge?
All city driving with a few stop-and-goes?
I can't ever seem to beat the ideal miles and am lucky if I get 80% of ideal by staying below 60mph.

I can usually beat ideal range if I drive at a constant speed under 60mph with a tail wind and no elevation changes. City driving has too much start/stop acceleration to beat ideal.

Dhrivnak's scatter plot isn't 200 miles of actual range, but 200 miles estimated, which is a lot easier to do since the estimate only looks at the last 25 miles or so of driving. If you coast home downhill then charge up you'll have a high estimated range.

Last edited:
Yes, my #19 is usually a lower voltage than the rest, but not consistently. I haven't checked the Ah for that brick.

Newbie question...I see in the logs that my lowest brick is changing regularly (which is good) but how do you see voltage and Ah by brick?

P.S. I get a nice visual of ideal and estimated range on a daily basis. Here are my averages since I bought the car 2 months ago:

..............................................Distance Avg Speed Ideal Miles Used Estimated Miles Used
Morning commute (freeway) .......57 miles ..70 mph ....65 miles ..............70 miles
Evening commute (county roads) 53 miles ..55 mph ....56 miles ..............48 miles Note the last 5 miles are thru town and I typically have MORE estimated miles than ideal miles when I arrive home.

Last edited: