Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mile suddenly increased by 2x+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 M3LR has started using a lot more power for the same driving habits. I’m talking double or more with nothing changed on the car. I always try to work the car toward the 250 wh/mile rated average, by taking backroads and driving very conservatively. For some reason over the last week plus it uses much more power. The only way to get it to drop is going downhill. Anyone experience anything like this? Any suggestions on what might be causing it? I requested service and was given some line about mileage may vary, ignoring my evidence. They indicated I’d get a callback which I’m hoping for but not expecting. Any ideas? Full charge is down to <150 miles driving slow on backroads. If I take the highway and drive with traffic it jumps up to 600-900 wh/mile. I had home charged for 1st two years but moved to an apartment so now only supercharge. Car only has 53k on it, as I work from home. Appreciate any suggestions.

Just a few notes... After supercharging the car needs to cool the battery. It will spend significant energy at least in the first few minutes after. Maybe that matches your recent change in charging behavior.
Has it gotten hotter recently? AC can consume quite a lot of energy... even worse if your radiator is dirty after 4+ years of driving...

EDIT: you can check your tire pressures too.

Just a few notes... After supercharging the car needs to cool the battery. It will spend significant energy at least in the first few minutes after. Maybe that matches your recent change in charging behavior.
Has it gotten hotter recently? AC can consume quite a lot of energy... even worse if your radiator is dirty after 4+ years of driving...

EDIT: you can check your tire pressures too.
I have noticed the increase after charging. How would I check the radiator? Can’t just open the hood (since its a frunk). I thought about the AC so I tried shutting it off and opening the windows. I’m in the northeast so hot is relative. We reached 90 today with high humidity but that is rare only usually a few weeks a year.

QQ: If the battery says 80% and the consumption screen says I only have 100 miles but the battery says 240 which one is accurate. Could it be there is something wrong with the screen recording the power consumption?

I have noticed the increase after charging. How would I check the radiator? Can’t just open the hood (since its a frunk). I thought about the AC so I tried shutting it off and opening the windows. I’m in the northeast so hot is relative. We reached 90 today with high humidity but that is rare only usually a few weeks a year.

QQ: If the battery says 80% and the consumption screen says I only have 100 miles but the battery says 240 which one is accurate. Could it be there is something wrong with the screen recording the power consumption?
Look at the Energy Graphs. Always ignore the range on the main screen.

Reactions: android04 and Kimmi
Look at the energy graphs to see where the energy is spent before doing anything else. If you need to clean the front radiator, there's a few steps and you must be careful. You need to remove the trunk tub, unclip some ducting and be careful not to damage the radiator. There are videos on Youtube and you could also check the online Tesla service manuals (free for personal use). Or you can go to a garage that knows Teslas to get it done by pros.

My 2018 M3LR has started using a lot more power for the same driving habits. I’m talking double or more with nothing changed on the car. I always try to work the car toward the 250 wh/mile rated average, by taking backroads and driving very conservatively. For some reason over the last week plus it uses much more power. The only way to get it to drop is going downhill. Anyone experience anything like this? Any suggestions on what might be causing it? I requested service and was given some line about mileage may vary, ignoring my evidence. They indicated I’d get a callback which I’m hoping for but not expecting. Any ideas? Full charge is down to <150 miles driving slow on backroads. If I take the highway and drive with traffic it jumps up to 600-900 wh/mile. I had home charged for 1st two years but moved to an apartment so now only supercharge. Car only has 53k on it, as I work from home. Appreciate any suggestions.
I'm having the same issue with my 2020 Y. It just started recently and no one here seems to believe it and wants to blame it on everything but the car itself (AC use, driving habits, etc.). It's not like I'm a new owner with no experience with the car. I've been driving it for 3 years and suddenly the range has gone WAY down with nothing else changing on my end.

What version are you on? I suspect one of the recent software updates has caused this. I was on 2023.20.4.1 and just updated to 2023.20.7. Don't have enough experience yet with 20.7 to see if it has fixed it.

I’m on 2023.7.10, I took a 150 mile trip Friday and stopped watching the consumption screen. I focused on the battery % and mileage remaining according to that and didn’t have any real issues. Maybe they did something to that screen I don’t know. I check it once in a while and it still says I’m using more than 2x from normal. As I mentioned Tesla rejected my service request and asked if I wanted a call back. It’s been a week, no call back, no email. I used to brag this was my favorite purchase I’ve ever made. Still love the car but they have the worst service I’ve ever encountered. It’s pathetic really, and to get service I have to drive over 60 miles as there are 0 service centers in NH

Just a note that we got an update to 2023.20.7 and this problem seems to have gone away for us. It's been even hotter this week, and the energy estimates and usage were dead on, like I'm used to. The % wasn't dropping every minute like before, even while I was driving 80+ on the freeway.

The AC system did use more energy, as expected, but the driving category was right in line with the estimates. I'm guessing something in a previous update was causing some issues.

Reactions: DrChaos