Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac Lyriq

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM just announced that the first pre-series Lyriq has rolled off the line in TN, putting them 9 months ahead of their initial schedule. They also stated that they would be delivering the first units to customers in a few months...

Very attractive car with an attractive price tag, starting at $58,795 compared to a MYLR at $58,990.

Without Dealer added fees!!!

Can you provide some technical information, such as battery size, 2WD or 4WD, weight...

I imagine that the propulsion motor, controllers, heat exchangers... must be more closer to a Mustang Mach-E that a Tesla Model Y.

300+ mile claimed range, 340hp (255 kW), 325 lb ft torque, 100 kWh ultium battery (LG Chem). 19.2kW level 2 home charging (52 miles per hour), 190kW DC public charging (76 miles in 10 mins.). Permanent magnet motor, RWD. 5,610 lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and Brando
GM just announced that the first pre-series Lyriq has rolled off the line in TN, putting them 9 months ahead of their initial schedule. They also stated that they would be delivering the first units to customers in a few months...

Very attractive car with an attractive price tag, starting at $58,795 compared to a MYLR at $58,990.
Apparently dealers can start taking orders again in March. Cadillac hasn't said what the prices will be for this next round of orders. The original prices you mentioned are still shown on Cadillac's web site, but I'll be surprised if there is no increase.

Here is the puzzling part for me about the Lyriq. First to say the wife wants one.
I see hundreds of Lyriq advertisements flash by on the TV as a fast forward through them. As a GM stock holder, I wonder why so many expensive advertisements for a car that is hardly even available and there is a LONG LONG wait list of people already subscribed with a $100 deposit. We all know that Tesla has never run a single ad, yet sells all the cars they can produce. I'm missing something.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Here is the puzzling part for me about the Lyriq. First to say the wife wants one.
I see hundreds of Lyriq advertisements flash by on the TV as a fast forward through them. As a GM stock holder, I wonder why so many expensive advertisements for a car that is hardly even available and there is a LONG LONG wait list of people already subscribed with a $100 deposit. We all know that Tesla has never run a single ad, yet sells all the cars they can produce. I'm missing something.
Yes, the bell curve is real….

Many examples exist at GM and among their EV buyers who will eventually discover that EV’s with garbage charging networks depreciate unbelievably fast.

I wonder why so many expensive advertisements for a car that is hardly even available

You are correct that the ads are not aimed at selling more Lyriqs...as you note, they already have more customers than ability to produce.

It's a corporate image ad. They are trying to get investors to think of GM as a with-it company doing cool things like Tesla, so the stock will go up. And they want individual car buyers to think of GM as a with-it company so they'll shop there the next time they are looking for a car...regardless of what type of car they are in the market for.

Somewhere around 20 years ago, when hybrids were suddenly a hot ticket, GM ran a bunch of ads talking about how many cars they made that got over 30mpg. Of course someone mpg shopping wouldn't find that impressive if they were looking at a competing 40+mpg vehicle. And who cares how many 30+mpg cars they offer, unless you're going to commit to buying the whole fleet? Again, the point wasn't to sell a particular car - it was to improve GM's image.

It's not just GM (or even just the auto industry) that does this, of course. Many car companies put out ads talking about a low-availability "green" model...not to sell more of that model, but because (there really is data that shows this) consumers prefer to buy gas SUVs from a company with a green image. Halo performance cars are similar...low volume, likely at an overall cost to the company, but they book it as a marketing expense because it improves the corporate image and helps sell more of their higher-volume cars.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
We all know that Tesla has never run a single ad, yet sells all the cars they can produce. I'm missing something.

Yes, Elon Musk always mentioned that he will not be spending advertising to influence people but instead try making a better product.

“Put the vast majority of your energy, attention, and dollars"
"into building a great product and a smaller amount"
"into shouting about it.” — Jeff Bezos

Last edited:
GM and Ford spend billions on adds NOT to sell the cars but to spice the stock. Good for you as a stock holder. They are not likely to quickly accelerate the actual production and sales of EVs to not kill their gas gazzlers and because many of their EVs basically suck and expensive to produce. Again, I strongly believe all the adds hysteria about non-existing EVs is to use the EV hype to pump the stock. That's it. Edit: Plus to justify borrowing $$$ from the taxpayers.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot