Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calendar integration is flaky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that it reliably works once a day--the first time I use the car that day. If I add an item later in the day, I get the "Calendar not updated" message. Sometimes if I drive for more than thirty minutes, it syncs, so I suspect it's a problem with the processing ability of the Tesla servers rather than the car or the Calendar software.

I think the cal appts synch via bluetooth, not servers. And I think the issue may be because of iOS - when the app is in background, the best it can do is wait for iOS to ask it to synch periodically.

Anyway, not a huge deal. I can always launch the app. Tesla is funny in some ways. On one hand, they have space age technology with Autopilot, on the other hand they can't build a decent radio in this technological marvel.

Newbie here to this issue, took delivery a few days ago.

Have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.3.3. Phone is on, connected to Bluetooth, Tesla app open, background refresh/calendar access on, no sync, hasn't ever even synced once. Music & phone work fine via Bluetooth. Tesla calendar app just says I need to open the Tesla app.

Have hard rebooted phone & Tesla screen and reinstalled iPhone app, still no luck. The thing that kills me is my wife's phone (using same Tesla acct login) is an iPhone 6s (NOT plus) running 9.3.3 and it calendar syncs fine.

Suggestions for troubleshooting welcome. Thanks.
Finally working. I installed iOS 9.3.4 and then logged out of the Tesla app & logged back in - now working. Not sure which of those two actions was the one that got it working, but I'm happy now.

Finally working. I installed iOS 9.3.4 and then logged out of the Tesla app & logged back in - now working. Not sure which of those two actions was the one that got it working, but I'm happy now.

Okay try this ..
Get out of the car. Let it lock itself.
Launch the Tesla app, put it in background.
Now create a calendar appt, lock phone put it in pocket, go sit in car. DO NOT take phone out of your pocket.
Let phone connect in bluetooth - do you see the new cal. appt. there?

Calendar events appear to update instantly on my iPhone when:
  • you first enter vehicle and Tesla app is running in background
  • you touch the Tesla app icon or switch to the running app (you will see the spinning circle in the app)

I continue to have no issues since the beta calendar was introduced several months ago, through every MS firmware drop I've received, as long as I maintain the Tesla App always running in the background of my iPhone (which has had a number of iOS 9 dot releases as well.) I get calendar pop-ups on my CID upon entry to my MS if I have anything on my calendar "today or tomorrow", and if nothing, I don't see a pop-up just as I would expect. It's been flawless for me since initial setup of the iOS app and Calendar App on the CID. (FWIW I use only iCloud calendars, not Google or Microsoft Office variants, nor do I have unusual business applications on my iPhone that may be doing something with my calendar or connectivity as others have mentioned in related threads.)

Following owners manual and Tesla App instructions for the Calendar to the letter, such as the process @NikeWings suggests back in post #20 is important. Also then check the Calendar App on the CID by touching the icon in the upper right of the calendar app screen to ensure your calendars are checked for display...

...also, I'd suggest everyone here that continues to talk about their issues or suggesting help be specific if you are running iOS (iPhone) or what variation of OS on Android (including if its jail broken or not). If people are careful following all the points to enable this, I have this sneaking suspicion perhaps there are some combinations that work better (like "vanilla" iOS) than others -- but there is no way to start isolating that thus far the way some folks are chiming in without their phone specifics.

Last edited:
No, it must be servers. My calendar events show up in the car even if I don't have my phone with me.
Is it possible that your appointments had already synched with calendar during an earlier drive in the car? (The timestamp for the last data synch appears on the upper right of the calendar alert.) If nothing incremental was added to your calendar, then the Tesla servers would continue to drive the calendar display, with or without your phone, from its last synch. As I understand it, for security purposes, refreshing the data synch to calendar via the Tesla servers occurs only over BT.

I have just tried this: having used the car earlier today, with the calendar displayed, I went back to the car without my iPhone. The message displayed when I opened calendar was "connect a phone by Bluetooth to sync a calendar".

My wife and I both run latest software on our iPhones. The car quickly syncs whichever ph0ne it connects to. When we are both in the car, I can tell the car to switch ph0nes and it resyncs the new device on both calendar and contacts.

We do have the settings as per post #20 above.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
@simonog, assuming all the settings are there as you say, the only other thing I can think of is to perhaps uninstall the Tesla App from your phone (delete it), then reinstall it and go back through the setup process with Tesla App sign-on, settings, etc. There are situations with other apps I've had upon rare occasion where deleting the App and adding it back resolves very odd "application" issues. Don't ask me why, it just does. Good luck.