Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calibrating autopilot ,radar,and cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what goes into calibration of the radar and cameras after a repair. For the last week my autopilot has been working fine after my repairs to the front but today I got the dreaded alert steering assist temporarily unavailable and if I try cruise that goes down and I get a alert cruise disabled. I thought I was out of the woods and smooth sailing, but that was short lived. The auto park and steer assist was all functional even all the cruise functions for about 250 miles. Has anyone seen what goes into the process does the bumper need to be removed or the cameras or is just software related repairs.
The car is a late 2016 refresh

Camera is generally plug and play. Radar requires two-axis calibration.

Look at your radar, through the grill, and you'll see two 3.5mm hex screws, one on each side of it. Vertical calibration is the screw on the right. Get a small bubble level with a 90-degree flat surface, place it flush on the radar, and adjust the right-side screw until it's perfectly vertical (bubble is centered). You want a 3.5mm T-handle type socket driver for this, as a normal socket would require you to remove the entire bumper. A narrow T-handle type can go right through the grill.

Horizontal calibration is where things get rough. To see any feedback from the car, you need the Tesla Toolbox software (good luck with that). However, through a combination of eyeballing and measuring distance to radar frame on top and bottom of each side, you can usually get it close enough for the tolerances of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: wigalo
Thank you for the response, I took the bumper off 3 weeks ago and adjusted it similar to your suggestion and after a couple days of driving AP turned back on and has worked flawlessly since.

hey mate I'm just about to take my front bumper off too and do this, do you have any suggestions on the horizontal calibration? also mine is a facelift model, is yours too ?

cheers

Thank you for the response, I took the bumper off 3 weeks ago and adjusted it similar to your suggestion and after a couple days of driving AP turned back on and has worked flawlessly since.

hey mate I'm just about to take my front bumper off too and do this, do you have any suggestions on the horizontal calibration? also mine is a facelift model, is yours too ?

cheers

hello, were you able to calibrate your radar? any tips?

Camera is generally plug and play. Radar requires two-axis calibration.

Look at your radar, through the grill, and you'll see two 3.5mm hex screws, one on each side of it. Vertical calibration is the screw on the right. Get a small bubble level with a 90-degree flat surface, place it flush on the radar, and adjust the right-side screw until it's perfectly vertical (bubble is centered). You want a 3.5mm T-handle type socket driver for this, as a normal socket would require you to remove the entire bumper. A narrow T-handle type can go right through the grill.

Horizontal calibration is where things get rough. To see any feedback from the car, you need the Tesla Toolbox software (good luck with that). However, through a combination of eyeballing and measuring distance to radar frame on top and bottom of each side, you can usually get it close enough for the tolerances of the car.
Hi Robby, I'm following these directions as you've published on the Unofficial Service Manual and for the life of me, I can't get it!

My radar got moved (not my doing) and when it got put back, to top right "arm" (the one without a nut) was broken off. I went ahead and tried to calibrate it anyway according to your directions and ordered a new bracket. Over three days, the radar would go in and out but yesterday, it worked about 50% of the time

Now, I've installed the new bracket and the radar. At first, it worked great. Now, it's saying "Autopilot Temporarily Disabled" and for the life of me, I can't get the darn thing to calibrate. I feel like no matter what, the left side is lower and I can't get it to raise.

No matter which way I turn the nut on the, it doesn't seem to bring up that left side. Can someone please tell me which way to turn it? I feel like I'm going insane.