Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calibration Frustration (Doors, Trunk, Side Windows)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX is not behaving and I've tried various things I have read on forums to fix this myself, but no joy.

1. I really need the trunk to raise higher while in my garage while the garage door is in its "up" "Open" position above it. I now have scars on my forehead from a couple of very painful bloody encounters where bent over to get something and wacked myself one way or another. I'm only 5'5" too. There is still 18" or more before the trunk would touch the door hung above it. (and even more above the top center between FWD where I believe the primary or only upward sensor is located.

2. The driver's door now only opens 6-8" automatically but the obstructions are far away or not existent when testing outside the garage. While trying calibration steps read on forums, it does not get better and I also got my window raising height messed up where it hits the trim closing versus approaching just under then moving up after closed ant latched. The passenger front door acts the same way but extends maybe 18-20".

3. FWD - don't even get me started, Can not get them to open fully even outside the garage but can push them to full open. In the garage with door overhead it, again there is a lot more space and I have mounted tennis balls along the edge of the areas above the FWD so that if they go higher they will feel that resistance and stop without any damage.

Why has Tesla not published a comprehensive owner's guide, available to those who want it to clear up these problems which are likely to occur? Have I missed this somewhere? Mostly what I see are anecdotal nothing from service or tesla direct.

Thanks

There's an owner's manual in the car, on the giant screen. There's also owners manuals online here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

The MX has a bit of a memory effect when crossing low ceilings. This is to reduce the chance that it will hit something overhead. For example, in early days owners reported the car's doors striking overhead beams in parking garages. This happened because the beams were offset, or not parallel to the parking position, so the car could not "see them." In response, Tesla added logic to remember the low clearance when you first entered the garage, and have that lower clearance "stick" in the car's memory until you leave the area. This way the doors open in a "better safe than sorry fashion."

The effect of this is that as you enter your garage, you cross under the doorway and that sets the car to a low ceiling. Even if your garage is 12 ft high inside, the car remembers that lowly 7ft opening you just drove under and "is careful."

You can use the touch screen to override the FWD to open fully in your garage. This will set a GPS override. You should see that onscreen, it will say something like "open fully in this location" This will have the car ignoring the low clearance from the drive under the 7ft door opening. But, the sensors will still actively scan for impending collisions on the way up. So, the doors won't "open fully always", they'll just "plan on opening fully and stop if a collision seems imminent."

The trunk seems to open according to the same height as the FWD. For example, in my garage originally both the FWD and trunk opened conversatively (due to my 7ft high garage door). After setting the FWD to "fully open" inside the garage (9ft clearance in there), the trunk also opens fully.

Regarding the driver's door -- I think that sounds like an item that requires service center attention.

• Informative
Reactions: BG121
After multiple SW releases, Tesla finally settled on the current operation for the FWD and Rear trunk. That is: if an obstruction above/beside is detected at all, the door will open enough to avoid the obstruction and then the owner would continue the process manually. This was after number of instances where people didn't see over-head beam, garage openers, narrow undetectable sign post, shrub branches, etc. There were a number of prior SW release trying to address all the scenarios--including the infamous "umbrella" mode. The latest release for the FWDs and Rear hatch restricts these opening to a Safe range and requires the owner to manually continue (the SW extended its range to detect surroundings). If you manually raise the FWD in your garage, then you may select from the Touch screen to remember this location (a pop up will occur). It is not automatic, but requires a manual selection--If not selected, then the over-ride is not remembered. The current manual also states that should you elect to open the doors further or select the location the the owner accepts responsibility for damage that may occur -- so the X is erring on the side of caution.

Actually, the tennis balls may be seen as a potential obstruction.

See pages 7,8,and 9 in the manual.

Outside for my X works fine. Just be sure that the X is not under a tree -- the sensors will see this as an obstruction and not open fully. A second press of the Rear deck open button will cause it to open fully inside the garage. Again, if it senses an potential obstruction, it is at the owner's determination to activate the full open option (this is the case even should there be the minimal amount of space to open. This also can be selected from the touch screen (not automatic) .

On the doors. Even though the door may have space to open more, it too will limit its movement if there is a person or obstruction sensed. In my case the drivers door never opens fully in the garage due to the wall being 24 inches away (initial opens about 8 inches). It always stops short of the wall.

A simple test -- note the sensor "arc ghost" on the screen. If the sensors detect any obstruction, it will generally appear before you open the door.

On the window height issue.... take to the SC. You may have a defective window regulator, as did I. They replaced the regulator AND all the bright work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Seattle Tom