Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, calls and signatures needed to stop EV fee's of $165 per EV per year!!

Do you feel that EV's should pay a yearly fee for use of the roads?

• Yes, under all circumstances.

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • No, under all circumstances.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Yes, as long as the fees are not more than what gas taxes would normally be.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Yes, but fees should be much less than a gas car as I don't leak oil and pollute

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an application fee. I do not have a problem with application fees of this magnitude. These fees help pay for extraordinary services that must be performed in order to allow something like this. The Internal Revenue Service charges taxpayers for private letter rulings--rulings that are an affirmative defense in examination. Other agencies charge for parade permit fees and other fees because there are additional costs incurred. I have no doubt that once autonomous automobiles become mainstream and are sold to customers in the usual course of business, these application fees will be eliminated or reduced substantially.

The insurance requirement is not onerous. Either you prove that you have adequate insurance coverage, or you self-insure and post a five million dollar bond. I do not know what the premium is for a five million dollar bond, but I am certain that it would not be onerous if a company like Google wanted to self-insure (and I would presume that with their equity and fiscal strength, that they would.)

Many years ago when I was a controller at a company, we were able to self-insure for workman's compensation insurance. Our insurance costs plummeted once we self-insured. We had been paying on average ~$350-$400K per year in premiums when we had conventional insurance. The first year our costs, which included a third-party administrator and our bond, dropped to ~$170,000, or about half.

Honestly, I am for having the EV tax as long as it is reasonable. The whole argument between gas vs EV is mote in my opinion. We all drive the same road and contribute to the same road wear and tear. Since we don't buy gas and can't pay for it via gas tax, might as well pay for it some other means.

As technology advances, we have less vehicle contribute to these tax such as EV, Hybrid, Hydrogen Fuel Cell, etc. The roads condition in California is failing, I wouldn't want having to buy new tires more often than not or damages under my car due to poor road condition. Paying for the EV tax to help maintain it is fair.

Heck, turn them to toll roads if necessary and get rid of the whole gas tax / ev tax.

We all drive the same road and contribute to the same road wear and tear.
Really? I'd be interested to know your logic in how my Leaf that doesn't leak or drop any fluids on the streets/roads causes the same damage as a gasoline vehicle with a leak or a diesel car?

Ever wonder why it's so slippery during the first rain storm of the year??????? ITS NOT FROM THE EVs I WILL TELL YOU THAT!

Also, why is it that the # 1&2 lanes on most major highways are totally destroyed now or suck??? ITS NOT FROM THE EVs or EVEN NORMAL ICE cars...

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
Really? I'd be interested to know your logic in how my Leaf that doesn't leak or drop any fluids on the streets/roads causes the same damage as a gasoline vehicle with a leak or a diesel car?

Ever wonder why it's so slippery during the first rain storm of the year??????? ITS NOT FROM THE EVs I WILL TELL YOU THAT!

Also, why is it that the # 1&2 lanes on most major highways are totally destroyed now or suck??? ITS NOT FROM THE EVs or EVEN NORMAL ICE cars...

Just because you don't drop oil does not mean you do not contribute to wear and tear of the road. Simple science friction between two objects over time will cause wear and tear. True some will do more due to weight and other factors, but it does not neglect the fact the Leaf is not one of the contribution factor.

Unless you tell me your leaf fly above the highway and not touch ground.