Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Rebate - 2020 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as the California rebate goes, how are we supposed to apply with a 2020 model? As far as I know, they aren't accepting 2020 models yet? I don't have the car yet but my father recently acquired a 2020 Ford Fusion Energi and he wasn't allowed to apply since they did not take into account the 2020 models yet. Anyone know when they usually update their car listings?

I think your OA can do it when you place your order, you just give them a copy of the application (at least that was what I was told, haven't done it myself yet).

you apply for the california rebate yourself. The owner advisors for tesla (or any other car brand) dont apply for it for you.

you apply for the california rebate yourself. The owner advisors for tesla (or any other car brand) dont apply for it for you.

When we got our Chevy bolt three years ago, the dealership did all the paperwork for the state rebate.

Also, you can apply for HOV sticker using the temp plates number. The state automatically updates their records when permanent plates are generated and mails the updated HOV sticker registration. Some dealerships do this for you and include the fee in the final sales document.

Reactions: Lex2Caddy2Tes
When we got our Chevy bolt three years ago, the dealership did all the paperwork for the state rebate.

Also, you can apply for HOV sticker using the temp plates number. The state automatically updates their records when permanent plates are generated and mails the updated HOV sticker registration.

When you got your bolt and chevy "did it for you" did they apply the rebate to the car, or did you get a check?

No. I got a check a few weeks later.

This will be my third EV, so I don’t qualify. :(

On a completely different side note, it looks like the rules are changing on december 3rd this year. I just took a look at the website, and saw the following:

I only have one EV (first one) and got a model 3 performance. Under this new plan, I would not have been able to get the california rebate.

=======================================================
What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

What should I know about the December 3rd program changes?

With an increasing program demand that exceeds the current program budget, the California Air Resources Board approved changes to ensure that this year’s funding allocation provides a meaningful incentive to encourage EV purchases while maintaining a program that is viable for a longer portion of the upcoming year. On December 3rd, 2019, the requirements for CVRP will be changing. If the CVRP rebate was important in your decision to purchase an electric vehicle, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and prior to the new program changes taking effect. All applications received on or after this date will be subject to the new Terms and Conditions in place.

Below is a summary of the coming changes:

Purchaser or Lessee Requirements:

Vehicle Purchaser or Lessee:

• Rebate limits are reducing from 2 rebates to 1 rebate per any single entity for individual and business applicants. This will not be applied retroactively. Applicants who have not already met their rebate limit prior to December 3, 2019, will be eligible for one additional rebate after December 3rd, 2019. Those that have already met their two-rebate limit will remain ineligible for an additional rebate.
  • Applicants will need to submit applications within 3 months of the vehicle purchase or lease date (post purchase applications only). Vehicles purchased or leased prior to December 3rd, 2019 will continue to have an 18-month eligibility window in which to submit an application.
Important: Applications are subject to the Terms and Conditions in place at the time of application submission. Exceptions will not be granted.

Vehicle Eligibility:

Vehicle Eligibility Criteria:

• An MSRP cap of $60,000 will be instituted on all vehicles with the exception of fuel cell electric vehicles
  • The Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule (UDDS) all electric range will be increasing from twenty miles to 35 miles.
Beginning December 3, 2019, vehicles that no longer meet eligibility requirements as defined above will be removed from the eligible vehicle list. Please check back soon, as the final vehicle eligibility list is still being determined.

Eligibility Based on Income:

• Income verification is required for all members of the household ages 18 and older (currently 17 and older).
Vehicle Rebate Amounts:

• Standard rebate amounts will be reduced. The new rebate amounts will be:
    • $4,500 for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles
    • $2,000 for battery or range-extended electric vehicles
    • $1,000 for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
    • $750 for zero-emission motorcycles
  • Increased Rebate amounts are unchanged.
    • $7,000 for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles
    • $4,500 for battery or range-extended electric vehicles
    • $3,500 for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
    • $750 for zero-emission motorcycles
Reduced Ownership Period Provisions:

• Reduced ownership amounts for car share and rental fleets will be reduced. The new rebate amounts will be:
    • $1,800 for Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicles
    • $800 for All-Battery or Range-Extended Electric Vehicles
    • $400 for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles
    • Zero-Emission Motorcycles will no longer be eligible for the reduced ownership provision for car share and rental fleet vehicles.

Wow, that is a lot of changes! I bet that will stimulate demand in California, assuming people are up to speed on the impending changes.

If I’m reading correctly the rebate is now $2,000 instead of $2,500. $60K cap on MSRP. Income verification for all household members. And a limit of one rebate per person.

Better move quickly if you were planning on buying a Model 3 and applying for the rebate, especially if buying the Performance version.

Was parsing through this earlier...

Performance Model here.

What are other perf people thinking? Drop FSD to re-add later? Pretty certain were not getting ours before 12/3.

I’m reading it as a be under $60k before 12/3 or get nothing. Is this right?

Was parsing through this earlier...

Performance Model here.

What are other perf people thinking? Drop FSD to re-add later? Pretty certain were not getting ours before 12/3.

I’m reading it as a be under $60k before 12/3 or get nothing. Is this right?

Thats what it looks like to me (under 60k or get nothing). I have had my car for a year so am not impacted and cant answer your question on that. I can say that I wanted the performance package so not sure if I would have been under 60k anyway... not sure of current pricing.

I would drop FSD to keep below the limit. even with the 1k change to FSD you are still $1500 ahead by keeping the rebate over keeping FSD. Plus to be honest I think after you drive it awhile you'll decide its best to not by FSD at all. the good features arent out yet and AP works great on the highways as is.

Reactions: TheD and dandrewk
I would drop FSD to keep below the limit. even with the 1k change to FSD you are still $1500 ahead by keeping the rebate over keeping FSD. Plus to be honest I think after you drive it awhile you'll decide its best to not by FSD at all. the good features arent out yet and AP works great on the highways as is.

I just removed FSD from my order to stay under the rebate limit. AdamVIP basically echoes what my friend with an S and a 3 told me when I asked. I'll add it later if it ever becomes what we all hope it will in the future. I think that may be years away though and by then I'll probably be shopping for a new vehicle anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something, but we have to take Delivery prior to Dec 3 to qualify for the $2500, correct? IIRC for the wife's LR RWD last year, we ordered it in Dec, took (inventory) delivery in Dec, and got a check in Feb, but it was the delivery date for cutoff, correct? ie if I order now, but don't get delivery by 12/3, its the reduced amount, whenver the check finally arrives?

Maybe I'm missing something, but we have to take Delivery prior to Dec 3 to qualify for the $2500, correct? IIRC for the wife's LR RWD last year, we ordered it in Dec, took (inventory) delivery in Dec, and got a check in Feb, but it was the delivery date for cutoff, correct? ie if I order now, but don't get delivery by 12/3, its the reduced amount, whenver the check finally arrives?

It’s worse than that. If I’m reading the website correctly, the application must be -received- by Dec. 3

Reactions: ZappCatt
I got pre-approved this week (its almost immediate). I submitted my tax info and application, which has been confirmed as received. I do note: "Important: Applications are subject to the Terms and Conditions in place at the time of application submission. Exceptions will not be granted."
That would indicate the terms would be locked when I submitted my application (ie this week) even if I can't accept delivery until end of year? Looks like its only a $500 delta either way, but a motive to get moving on the commitment. . . .

Does prior to 12/3 still have the caveat of excluding vehicles >$60k?

Also, our cars are coming as 2020 models. Is the rebate only for 2019s currently?

This is still what I'm not getting an answer on. It doesn't even matter if my car comes in prior to Dec. 3 if it's a 2020 model, I won't be able to submit any application until they add the 2020 models.