Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California teslas and HOV lane free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a front plate on the front as required by law and the stickers in the places they are supposed to go. Actually I don't think either is that ugly because most of the time I am looking through the windshield. I don't need to give the CHP extra reasons to pull me over. I use the HOV to and from work and that saves me up to 40 mins a day. Today my car is in for a service, I have been given some Lincoln ICE loaner thing that doesn't have the speed, power or stickers. I don't feel like getting stuck in traffic so I'll wait until 7pm.

If you affix the stickers to your car you aslo get free street meter parking in Santa Monica http://www.smgov.net/Departments/PCD/Transportation/Motorists-Parking/Electric-Vehicles/

- - - Updated - - -

Free metered parking in San Jose and Hermosa Beach Drive Clean | Plug-in Electric Vehicle Resource Center

Looks like you have to pay $30 to register for the San Jose program... program will expire June 30, 2016.

http://parksj.org/parking-programs-services/clean-air-program/

Jeff writes: "To this day I don't see what peoples issues are with the stickers..."

The Model S is a beautiful car, the stickers are ugly. That's my "issue", so I won't put them on. What's hard to see about that?

Maybe that issue doesn't bother you, so you should put them on. End of problem.

The other thing that sucks about the sticker thing is what about people visiting california?

I'm going to drive down the coast (as close as I can from Oregon through California, and then back up on I5.

If the HOV lanes are anything like they are in WA state it won't really matter since they're just as clogged as the other lanes.

The other thing that sucks about the sticker thing is what about people visiting california?

I'm going to drive down the coast (as close as I can from Oregon through California, and then back up on I5.

If the HOV lanes are anything like they are in WA state it won't really matter since they're just as clogged as the other lanes.

They make a big difference in California - especially in the Orange County area. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use them or apply for them...and if you get caught its a 400.00 fine.

Take a passenger. :)

I've always thought it would be nice if states several states would sponsor one program (which would then allow what you ask) - but they don't. Take solace in the fact that when I'm in other states, I can only use HOV lanes if I have at least one passenger.

None of the coast route has HOV lanes. I5 only has HOV lanes in cities (Sacramento, LA, San Diego).

I placed the big stickers too high and had to use a heat gun to take them off. Now I've got only 1 small sticker in the bumper. The 2 "damaged" ones are in the trunk. Still wondering if I should get the replacement stickers.
The DMV requires all three stickers to be returned for replacement stickers, so you will be without stickers during the wait time.

Not having all three mounted could be an issue for some officers. Why take the chance? Fill out the form carefully when requesting the replacement stickers. Here is a web page with Q&A about the subject of replacement stickers.

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

HOV lanes are reserved for two or more people. Is your MS an OttoPilot version? :)

airplane-autopilot.jpg