Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh - my exact configuration is listed in existing inventory at the delivery center where I'm supposed to pick up my car. Asked to be switched to that car and was told if I did -- even though I have no VIN yet -- that I'd be bumped to the bottom of the list for deliveries and wouldn't get the car this year most likely. And that I should just wait for a VIN from Tesla. Makes no sense???

Yea I heard something similar which made no sense. I told them I wanted to move to a said VIN, in Fremont, and he mentioned it might be pre-prod and there is no guarantee that you'll get it before 12/31.

Since tomorrow is my last day in California, I was thinking of dropping in to the Fremont factory and ask them if they have any SR+ of any color with any interior and any wheel laying around.

Either they have something or I'll have to wait until March.

What do you think of this hail mary strategy lmao?

If I were in your position, I would definitely show up at the Fremont DC. I've been taking the attitude of trying to be patient, it's a clusterF over there I'm sure. however, I'm willing to bet that folks that ordered and made some noise are going to get answer/solutions before people who are silent. When you're up against a wall, what do you have to lose?

Thats a good idea, but depends on the person you talk to and the amount of rush there.

Last week I went on a sunday evening, around 6pm, and there were just a couple of people poking around.
The lady SA who first met me wasn't at all helpful and was trying to shoo me away.

A bystander SA there was listening in and he jumped up to help me out, he let me take a look at the inventory list he sees on his laptop (which is way different, cause same time Public website said 0 cars available, but his portal had about 20 in bay area and Sacramento). Unfortunately, at that time, there were no black interiors SR+ listed so I had to make a hard pass.
But he was super helpful and very kind to talk to.

PS: Mention you're THE Techlead (I hope you know the reference), and they'll do you good :D

Lmao of course I do hahahaha , will report back tomorrow!

I ordered 10/25 white/black AWD with 19inch wheel, Marina Del Rey. No Vin. Just went on tesla website and find an inventory one with black exterior. I went through the chat and someone called me and I switched to that car. So now I finally have a VIN. I found a lot inventory cars in Los Angeles area. IF you don't have a VIN, maybe you guys can try to get matched with an inventory one.

Reactions: davidw76 and house9
I ordered 10/25 white/black AWD with 19inch wheel, Marina Del Rey. No Vin. Just went on tesla website and find an inventory one with black exterior. I went through the chat and someone called me and I switched to that car. So now I finally have a VIN. I found a lot inventory cars in Los Angeles area. IF you don't have a VIN, maybe you guys can try to get matched with an inventory one.

Did you have to pay the $1,000 cost increase for the paint job? Any other added fees to change your order?

Did you have to pay the price difference?

Tesla is going through a lot getting orders filled and to their intended delivery center in time to meet the EoY deadline. Paperwork is in process along with transportation. Can’t imagine they want to let people who have standing orders that will be scheduled but buyers are nervous nellies and impatient for their turn, throw the system into confusion by swapping out cars. Not surprised they say grabbing an inventory replacement will send you to the end of the delivery line and maybe into next year. Just because the excess inventory cars are snatched up doesn’t mean the delivery is any sooner scheduled. They only have so many DAs to conduct the closings and can only do so many in a day.

Since tomorrow is my last day in California, I was thinking of dropping in to the Fremont factory and ask them if they have any SR+ of any color with any interior and any wheel laying around.

Either they have something or I'll have to wait until March.

What do you think of this hail mary strategy lmao?

I think it's worth a try based on my experience today. The guy who I spoke to was super helpful.

Reactions: Techlead13
Tesla is going through a lot getting orders filled and to their intended delivery center in time to meet the EoY deadline. Paperwork is in process along with transportation. Can’t imagine they want to let people who have standing orders that will be scheduled but buyers are nervous nellies and impatient for their turn, throw the system into confusion by swapping out cars. Not surprised they say grabbing an inventory replacement will send you to the end of the delivery line and maybe into next year. Just because the excess inventory cars are snatched up doesn’t mean the delivery is any sooner scheduled. They only have so many DAs to conduct the closings and can only do so many in a day.

I get that they're probably getting hammered at this point but it doesn't help they're making exact configurations people ordered from 2.5 month old orders and put them into inventory before filling the order. No matter how much of Tesla fans we are I don't think that kind of operation is excusable. If people are snatching up inventory cars hot off the line messing up orders that is Tesla's own fault for putting them there.

Yea I heard something similar which made no sense. I told them I wanted to move to a said VIN, in Fremont, and he mentioned it might be pre-prod and there is no guarantee that you'll get it before 12/31.

Solution.. keep your original order open and take whichever one comes first. If you don't cancel then the other car will be automatically reassigned when you fail to take delivery. This is exactly what the SA advised me to do.

Last edited:

What does your estimated delivery date say?

I'm about to go nuts. We've been waiting for our cars for a couple of weeks, or months.

Right now, a bunch of cars show up as existing inventory. I want my car for the $1850 tax rebate. I'm looking at the SAME CONFIG of my car, brand new, for $600 less than what I'm going to pay for it....

Unless I'm missing something and autopilot doesn't include FSD?
Autopilot doesn't include fsd.

So we’re having a fit that extra inventory cars have reached a delivery center before the car that was ordered arrives and there’s inventory available to someone to buy and Tesla’s some bad actor here. Doubt Tesla ever said the car ordered wouldn’t be delivered before EoY. Is this like no cuts-ies in line?

• Funny
Reactions: sslack18
So we’re having a fit that extra inventory cars have reached a delivery center before the car that was ordered arrives and there’s inventory available to someone to buy and Tesla’s some bad actor here. Doubt Tesla ever said the car ordered wouldn’t be delivered before EoY. Says a lot.
I don’t know about “having a fit”, but I could understand someone being upset after waiting a month or two without even a VIN number to show on their account only to discover that their exact order is sitting at the dealer as inventory instead of being assigned to them. That kinda sucks and frankly is a poor way to do business. It also gives the impression they are more concerned with getting as many cars sold as possible rather than honoring existing orders.

Everyone who orders at beginning of quarter in Calif pretty much faces the same wait. There’s an process for orders that gets followed and probably another group that moves inventory. Unlikely any manufacturer is going to halt orders and do checks as to what cars are sitting produced somewhere in some lot and pull things out of the system. We’re not talking only thousands of cars made but more like 10s of thousands during that last month of the quarter going to California.

Unlikely any manufacturer is going to halt orders and do checks as to what cars are sitting produced somewhere in some lot and pull things out of the system. We’re not talking only thousands of cars made but more like 10s of thousands during that last month of the quarter going to California.

I don't want to sound like a douchebag but this should be automated. It should take no longer than 15 minutes to write a simple code even for the most mediocre engineer.

Just got a call from Tesla.. the inventory car I ordered this morning should be available for delivery this weekend. I was a bit concerned because it said 4-7 weeks in my account but they told me to ignore that. I won't cancel my old order until I know for sure. For me, it was 50% impatience and 50% wanting to upgrade to LR AWD. I guess I would get the original order by EoY if I waited but it wouldn't shock me if I didn't. I totally understand people who have just had enough of waiting and not hearing anything from Tesla.