Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt they over promised and under delivered. But I think that somehow getting an $1,875 credit from the government is more appealing than just getting an $1,875 discount on the car from the manufacturer.

If Toyota offered an $1,875 discount on their Camry, which far outsells the Model 3, I don’t think anyone would even notice it right now.
Totally agree
My own experience was I got way too emotional wanting our SR+ and think I wasn’t the only one. I am guilty of coming to this web site wanting vent my frustration not getting my M3 in the “estimated” time of 2-4 weeks.

Sure, wanted any and all credits/rebates I could get as I was always calculating the bottom line investment I was making for my and my wife’s car.

I was just hoping everyone else that ordered their cars could get the same deal as they were planning on with their deliveries before EOY. I really hope those that were told they will not get their order by EOY do not have to wait until the end of Q1. I also think Tesla should own up to their side of this CF and make things right by discount price to match fed credit they promised. If I was still waiting I would think that is the right thing to do.

long winded post just to say I think Tesla cars can be more of a emotional purchase than any ICE. But, just my opinion:)

ORC1, just want to say I do like what you write here;)

wow... now they’re just texting, not even calling? When did you both order? And will they give you back the $100 deposit as well, like the previous people who got phone calls?

and I agree @OCR1 about telling cars they normally wouldn’t. If I can’t get mine by year end, then I will cancel and order most likely a LR AWD later in life. Hopefully when it isn’t so busy and they won’t be rushed in manufacturing it.
Yes, just a text. And to make matters worse, the text states they called and left a voicemail, but really didn't. I ordered on 11/17 and was reassured many times that I will receive the car by the end of the year. There was no mention of a refund.

@sacraM3nto thats all total crap... what distinguishes the people who got phone call and $100 deposit refund and the people who got a text only and no offer of a full refund?! They better be willing to give me back my $100 because they failed to uphold their end and I wouldn’t have ordered if they didn’t guarantee EOY... so you’re just gonna wait then? Did they say at least they would deliver your car within the first week of January? Better not be end of Q1... argh, that’s just awful... :(

The $100 order fee is a non-issue. Tesla screwed this one up so badly that refunding the $100 order fee because they caused you to miss your tax credit is the least of their worries right now. The bad will this will create and the bad press it will generate are much more significant issues they will have to deal with at the moment thank keeping your $100.

But just sit tight folks. I think Elon is going to sort all this through on New Year’s Day and after thinking it over for a bit he is going to do the right thing.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I agree that it’s not really a big issue compared to the bigger picture, but it’s still something they should take care of properly without needing to be asked. And I don’t think this is the first time Tesla has failed to fulfill their promises? So ... I’m not sure what will be addressed... or what they will do that is “right”... and even if they get bad press, nothing changes the fact they get away with terrible customer service because the car itself is amazing. :(

The $100 order fee is a non-issue. Tesla screwed this one up so badly that refunding the $100 order fee because they caused you to miss your tax credit is the least of their worries right now. The bad will this will create and the bad press it will generate are much more significant issues they will have to deal with at the moment thank keeping your $100.

But just sit tight folks. I think Elon is going to sort all this through on New Year’s Day and after thinking it over for a bit he is going to do the right thing.
I only agree on Elon part if someone really twitted him about this chaos.

Reactions: ZappCatt
I got the impression from what someone relayed that you could cancel and get your $100 refunded to you if you cancelled by 12/31, something like that. So if you want your $100 back there’s no more car order. Otherwise it sounds like you need to wait longer for the production run for your spec’d car. I know from following the forum and some of Elon’s tweets that he has come through and made things right so wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla does some kind of thing for those who ordered in time but didn’t get delivery by YE.

• Informative
Reactions: laketica
Would that be considered false advertising, if they don't deliver?

Well, you would have to prove that they deliberately told people they would deliver cars by 12/31 when they knew they did not have the ability to do so. But regardless, you would have to prove damages. And what are they? You gave them $100 order fee which will be refunded to you if you elect not to take delivery in January. Your damage is huge disappointment, and possibly having to pay more if you still want the car. But if you elect to take the refund and move on there are no damages.

Well, you would have to prove that they deliberately told people they would deliver cars by 12/31 when they knew they did not have the ability to do so. But regardless, you would have to prove damages. And what are they? You gave them $100 order fee which will be refunded to you if you elect not to take delivery in January. Your damage is huge disappointment, and possibly having to pay more if you still want the car. But if you elect to take the refund and move on there are no damages.
Thanks for the informative response!

Perhaps. But I personally don't see any "right thing" that Tesla can do to rectify this. From the number of people reporting non-delivery here, I suspect that Tesla did this on a large scale. Remember, this forum represents a small percentage of people ordering Teslas.

So someone clearly screwed up big time at Tesla. I know I will get crap from posters for saying this - but someone really damaged public relations for Tesla. There is no good way to spin this and the media will have a field day. That is unfortunate, because I am sure Tesla's intentions and promises were honestly given.

I'm sure Musk had nothing (at least directly) to do with this - but there is some jerk in some office who totally blew it. He/she will likely not be at Tesla much longer. I'm sure that is of little or no consolation to those who will not receive the car they ordered as promised.

To all of those people who ordered cars, were promised them, and did not receive them - I am really sorry! You were given an implied promise of delivery. While that may not mean much legally - it still sucks to be in your position.

I notice there are two types of inventory cars right now. One with mileage like 2 mile or 10 mile on it, and the other with no mileage at all. What’s the difference between the types of inventory cars? Does it mean the one with actual mileage is actually at the store and the other is still in preproduction?

Perhaps. But I personally don't see any "right thing" that Tesla can do to rectify this. From the number of people reporting non-delivery here, I suspect that Tesla did this on a large scale. Remember, this forum represents a small percentage of people ordering Teslas.

So someone clearly screwed up big time at Tesla. I know I will get crap from posters for saying this - but someone really damaged public relations for Tesla. There is no good way to spin this and the media will have a field day. That is unfortunate, because I am sure Tesla's intentions and promises were honestly given.

I'm sure Musk had nothing (at least directly) to do with this - but there is some jerk in some office who totally blew it. He/she will likely not be at Tesla much longer. I'm sure that is of little or no consolation to those who will not receive the car they ordered as promised.

To all of those people who ordered cars, were promised them, and did not receive them - I am really sorry! You were given an implied promise of delivery. While that may not mean much legally - it still sucks to be in your position.

First of all, Musk runs every aspect of Tesla, so he owns this problem. Nothing happens in that company without his approval.

If it were up to the sales reps they would offer to discount the cars by $1,875, deliver them next month, and throw in a wall connector for the inconvenience. And if they did that it would end the drama and leave Tesla looking fantastic. They had so much demand for their cars that they had to work into January to fill demand and they took care of the customers who had to wait.

But Musk is the only one who can approve a concession. So it does come down to what he decides to do for these customers. And as I said, I think he will do the right thing once he thinks it over.

I just received an email from Tesla finance trying to get me to sign the purchase agreement when they still cannot tell me if my car isn’t going to make it by the 31st. Had to email back explaining that I won’t be purchasing if the car doesn’t arrive by EOY. Maybe that triggers them to assign the car to someone else preemptively haha.

I just received an email from Tesla finance trying to get me to sign the purchase agreement when they still cannot tell me if my car isn’t going to make it by the 31st. Had to email back explaining that I won’t be purchasing if the car doesn’t arrive by EOY. Maybe that triggers them to assign the car to someone else preemptively haha.

I think they may kill it for getting your car by EOY. They are in the process of reassign vehicles to other customer now.

We sent in our lease origination payment and had the car in 2 days. Picked it up yesterday, a day early. Looks perfect. The people at the Service Center were very patient as we went through it using a 2 page checklist. Even helped perform the some of the tests and measurements.

Would that be considered false advertising, if they don't deliver?
Hey SDjae,
My personal opinion from reading all the various posts, I believe this could be also considered a “bait and switch” scheme by someone in upper management.

Why I say this is Tesla intentionally built “inventory” M3’s ahead of building actual orders that were placed one or more months before.

We are hearing many customers that are paying a higher price switching to a “inventory” car than what they would have paid for their original order they placed when we did. This is a big red flag I’m seeing.

Happy New Years,
John

If that’s their way of getting panicked buyers to pay more and buy a performance car they don’t want...

and all would be well if what @OCR1 said came true, but I still haven’t heard a peep and still no idea if my car will be before EOY, don’t know what to do, also my trade in value for my car is good til 12/31 only as well... and my SA isn’t replying anymore when he used to be super responsive. :( i know it must be hectic for them but still...

guess I hafta make a trip to Carlsbad to ask what’s going on.

Hey SDjae,
My personal opinion from reading all the various posts, I believe this could be also considered a “bait and switch” scheme by someone in upper management.

Why I say this is Tesla intentionally built “inventory” M3’s ahead of building actual orders that were placed one or more months before.

We are hearing many customers that are paying a higher price switching to a “inventory” car than what they would have paid for their original order they placed when we did. This is a big red flag I’m seeing.

Happy New Years,
John

You could be on to something here, the skeptic in me thinks that post 1/1 we'll see a lot of SR+s become suddenly available.