Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey SDjae,
My personal opinion from reading all the various posts, I believe this could be also considered a “bait and switch” scheme by someone in upper management.

Why I say this is Tesla intentionally built “inventory” M3’s ahead of building actual orders that were placed one or more months before.

We are hearing many customers that are paying a higher price switching to a “inventory” car than what they would have paid for their original order they placed when we did. This is a big red flag I’m seeing.

Happy New Years,
John
You are right. Furthermore, Tesla intentionally changed SR+ batch supposed to be built on 28th to LR/P batch and is cancelling SR+ deliveries.

Ordered on 11/22 SR+ white/black 19’ wheels for delivery from Marina Del Rey. Got an a text and email on Friday for a delivery appointment Sunday 2pm. Was so excited but based on the stories l have been reading on here, I decided to call to confirm since no one had bothered to call me. Surprise surprise my SA said he doesn’t know and can’t confirm when the car will be delivered

Ended up talking to an advisor from the Burbank store, she was great and apologized for the ridiculous shenanigans most of us have been experiencing from Tesla. They offered me a returned midnight silver with 19” wheels. Car only has 500 miles. Also with 2 years of free charging and other discounts. Took the deal.

I still haven’t received any new regarding my order. I’m reading a lot of people received texts/calls saying their orders were delayed or cancelled.... I haven’t heard a thing. As I have no delivery date and no vin, is it safe to say I’m also in this batch?

hard to say, but I would bet yes. I’ve had a vin since the 27th and have been told that they are “hopeful” that the car will arrive by the scheduled delivery appointment. They still can’t even predict when my car will leave the factory.

What Tesla needs is a second factory here in the United States. Right now their production efforts are over shadowed by demand. They can’t keep up, especially when you figure in all the time spent producing for the European market.

Apparently they just opened a new factory in China, but it won't solve their fundamental problem around customer expectation management and better communication.

When the DC called me to push my order to Jan, he stated that "no one has cancelled their orders and is the first time he has seen that in a few years". You simply can't factor in potential cancellation as part of your production schedule. If instead, they just have a waitlist and communicate that accordingly -- everyone would be less stress and less mad.

• Informative
Reactions: msm859 and laketica
I still haven’t received any new regarding my order. I’m reading a lot of people received texts/calls saying their orders were delayed or cancelled.... I haven’t heard a thing. As I have no delivery date and no vin, is it safe to say I’m also in this batch?

you and me both... so I’m planning to go to Carlsbad to ask what’s going on. A few days ago, the delivery center manager emailed me back that I should get a VIN assigned in “the next few days” but nothing has happened. I feel like I’m getting the run around until there’s no more “few more days” until the first of January.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Ended up talking to an advisor from the Burbank store, she was great and apologized for the ridiculous shenanigans most of us have been experiencing from Tesla. They offered me a returned midnight silver with 19” wheels. Car only has 500 miles. Also with 2 years of free charging and other discounts. Took the deal.
Sweet deal, congrats. Lucky you called.

I guess Tesla assumed there will be cancellations like in airline industry and oversold model 3 but now it’s biting them back.

Well, you would have to prove that they deliberately told people they would deliver cars by 12/31 when they knew they did not have the ability to do so. But regardless, you would have to prove damages. And what are they? You gave them $100 order fee which will be refunded to you if you elect not to take delivery in January. Your damage is huge disappointment, and possibly having to pay more if you still want the car. But if you elect to take the refund and move on there are no damages.

You take delivery in January and sue them in small claims court for the $1875 loss of tax credit + depending on actual delivery date may have a claim for loss of use. Tesla should have Never represented EOY delivery for orders made in December.

Apparently they just opened a new factory in China, but it won't solve their fundamental problem around customer expectation management and better communication.

When the DC called me to push my order to Jan, he stated that "no one has cancelled their orders and is the first time he has seen that in a few years". You simply can't factor in potential cancellation as part of your production schedule. If instead, they just have a waitlist and communicate that accordingly -- everyone would be less stress and less mad.
Well personally i feel the for the most part the people working at the DC’s are doing the best job they can. They definitely don’t have all the details for what is happening which of course contributes to the poor communication issue. But for the most part they are tasked with an impossible mission and are doing the best they can. They don’t have control over production or delivery trucks or weather, but you can believe that people chose to unload on them as though they personally were in charge of the whole company. I would not want to be in that position My delivery experience was for the most part easy and smooth. Not everyone has this experience of course, but there are alot of factors at play.

Well personally i feel the for the most part the people working at the DC’s are dojng the best job they can. They definitely don’t have all the details fo what is happening which of course contributes to the poor communication issue. But for the most part they are tasked with an impossible mission and are doing the best they can. My delivery experience was for the most part easy and smooth. Not everyone has this experience of course, but there are alot of factors at play.

I agree with you -- everyone I've interacted with at Tesla have been very nice and polite.

I don't fault the delivery center teams nor the sales associates -- I think it's a company wide problem they need to fix. Early adopters are willing to put up with a lot of crap for the love of the car and tech, but I think they will need to make a lot of changes before they can truly go mainstream.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
so woke up this morning to having my delivery date for 12/30 at 1230 (which was already pushed back from 12/29) gone from my account and in its place a Tesla representative will call you to find a delivery date. so i called the Carlsbad location to find what is up. they said that the car is in Burbank and they will try to expedite it to Carlsbad and hopefully that i can pick it up at 12/30 at 8pm if not hopefully it will be there by 12/31. this is a sr+ red with 19 inch wheels fsd order 10/31. this is getting ridiculous how bad this buying experience has been. so this has been the second time ive gotten a new vin second time it has been pushed back with possibility of being pushed back a third time. its been over the estimated time for when i should have been delivered going on almost 9 weeks. and on top of that my sister which ordered in mid November has her Tesla already for over a week.

If Tesla had huge parking lots like traditional dealerships, I think a lot of the scheduling would go much smoother. As it is from what I understand DCs don't have acres of parking space so have to try to balance parking availability with carrier deliveries, time for prep, and then scheduling with the buyer some in advance. Again not a job I'd like to have. It took 3 times for me to get a solid appointment time, again during a EoQ timeframe. While Tesla tries to build up positive cash flow I think they just don't have the luxury of having lots of inventory in staged areas, especially if it keeps selling out as quickly as they make it available. @slimpicks I still think you have a good shot at getting before YE.

My husband and I are driving through the Grapevine portion of I5 north of LA right now (the major pass that was closed for over 36 hours or so) to take delivery tomorrow. Passing Tesla hauls!
If Tesla had huge parking lots like traditional dealerships, I think a lot of the scheduling would go much smoother. As it is from what I understand DCs don't have acres of parking space so have to try to balance parking availability with carrier deliveries, time for prep, and then scheduling with the buyer some in advance. Again not a job I'd like to have. It took 3 times for me to get a solid appointment time, again during a EoQ timeframe. While Tesla tries to build up positive cash flow I think they just don't have the luxury of having lots of inventory in staged areas, especially if it keeps selling out as quickly as they make it available. @slimpicks I still think you have a good shot at getting before YE.
Not to mention getting perhaps a hundred trade-ins a day right now. Those cars also have to be parked somewhere.

I've been stalking my Costa Mesa DC while waiting for delivery and have been pondering these things lol.

Reactions: tren01t and SMAlset
Just stopped by Carlsbad... at this point, "no news is good news" - they're getting nonstop deliveries, so when the cars roll in they match them to the order and arrange for delivery... the thing is, production plant isn't churning out more SR+ so that's why Fremont is calling people to tell them their car isn't going to be built in time.

I find it odd, but basically every car that is on the way down to SoCal is spoken for, they're just not sure yet who it's matched to... so... he said the fact I didn't get a call yet, and also the fact that mine isn't the super basic white SR+ gives him a bit more hope that my car may be on the truck........

Guess we will just wait and see!

You take delivery in January and sue them in small claims court for the $1875 loss of tax credit + depending on actual delivery date may have a claim for loss of use. Tesla should have Never represented EOY delivery for orders made in December.
I hate to tell you but the word guarantee was definitely part of order deadline. In the form of "there is no guarantee". There is no case.

Just stopped by Carlsbad... at this point, "no news is good news" - they're getting nonstop deliveries, so when the cars roll in they match them to the order and arrange for delivery... the thing is, production plant isn't churning out more SR+ so that's why Fremont is calling people to tell them their car isn't going to be built in time.

I find it odd, but basically every car that is on the way down to SoCal is spoken for, they're just not sure yet who it's matched to... so... he said the fact I didn't get a call yet, and also the fact that mine isn't the super basic white SR+ gives him a bit more hope that my car may be on the truck........

Guess we will just wait and see!

He can ping the car and see where it is.