Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, please let me know what color decal you get. This should let me know whether I should send in my application immediately or wait until January 1.
You can see from the DMV site that there isn't even a new sticker color assigned yet for 2022, so almost no chance it's going to be any color other than Blue. My check was cashed only half a month earlier and I received it near the end of last month and it was Blue. I resubmitted mine in June after they rejected the first application I submitted in March for no reason given (only change I made in resubmission was I downloaded 2020 version of application from DMV website, previously I clicked the CARB site link instead and it gave a 2019 version).

The blue is a fairly dark blue and goes well with my Midnight silver (better than the other year's colors). Probably would go decent with Blue (even though the sticker is a darker shade).

2021 Kona EV purchased: 6/30/21
Read this thread, realized no need to wait for plates, and sent in application with only VIN: 7/13/21
Plates arrived, swapped them for my personalized plates same day at CSAA (irrelevant): 7/19/21
Check endorsed by DMV with plate number handwritten in: 9/25/21
Check cleared: 9/30/21
HOV stickers (blue, of course) arrived: 10/8/21

Delivery of vehicle: 6/11/2021
Application sent: 7/15/2021
Check cashed: 10/1/2021
HOV sticker delivered: 10/12/2021
For those wondering why I didnt wait till end of year.

We usually dont use the HOV lane because the commute that my wife and I have dont have HOV lanes to use. We mainly use it for picking up our kids at practices thats about 20 miles away. In 4 years, they will be off to college.

My wife and I will get more value to get it now rather than later.

For those wondering why I didnt wait till end of year.

We usually dont use the HOV lane because the commute that my wife and I have dont have HOV lanes to use. We mainly use it for picking up our kids at practices thats about 20 miles away. In 4 years, they will be off to college.

My wife and I will get more value to get it now rather than later.
If you're picking up kids though, it's only useful one way. I think HOV should be 2 or more licensed drivers in the vehicle but that's not how the laws are written.

Another thing to consider is that the last time the program was extended, the cutoff was chosen to be January 1, 2017. If you were issued a green decal after this date, then you were eligible to get a red decal which will be valid until January 1, 2022. Anyone who was issued a decal on December 31, 2016 got absolutely shafted, and would have only had a valid decal until January 1, 2019 (only 2 years and a day). So by waiting an extra day, some people got decals that are valid for 5 years instead of 2. I don't personally think the program will be extended but you never know, and if you wait until the final color is issued under this program, it's more likely that you'll be allowed to extend.

If you're picking up kids though, it's only useful one way. I think HOV should be 2 or more licensed drivers in the vehicle but that's not how the laws are written.

Another thing to consider is that the last time the program was extended, the cutoff was chosen to be January 1, 2017. If you were issued a green decal after this date, then you were eligible to get a red decal which will be valid until January 1, 2022. Anyone who was issued a decal on December 31, 2016 got absolutely shafted, and would have only had a valid decal until January 1, 2019 (only 2 years and a day). So by waiting an extra day, some people got decals that are valid for 5 years instead of 2. I don't personally think the program will be extended but you never know, and if you wait until the final color is issued under this program, it's more likely that you'll be allowed to extend.
I think the likelihood of an extension that gives even longer than the 4 years per sticker we get now is very unlikely. From what we know so far if you wait, you don't get a full year extra anyways. For myself, having received the sticker earlier this month, waiting for next year, I'll get a max of 6 months extra (that's assuming I time it perfectly to receive it in January). I would rather not gamble that, plus there's a chance they pick a color that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I got my M3 SR+ delivered on 9/27. I still haven't received the license plates (3 weeks now). Is that normal and within normal timeline?

When should I be expecting the plates & registration sticker?

Here's my timeline from other thread. Make sure the delivery center got your paperwork. Did you get your title yet? As you see below, the plates/registration came a bit over a week later.
I took delivery in Colma. The timeline was:
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

No I haven't received the title yet either.

I have financed through my CU. So would they have received the title?
AFAIK your lender would have the title and when you pay it off, they will mail it to you or request DMV to mail you one if they are part of the ELT (Electronic Lien and Title) program.

If you have a lender, you can probably ask them if they got the title already, what day they did received it, what day it was issued. Usually if they don't receive it, they are more anxious than you are and will request you follow up. As mentioned above, I got my plates/registration about 1-2 weeks after receiving title in mail (and about 1 month after the title issue date).

You can also try calling in or chatting with DMV, but wait times may be long.

AFAIK your lender would have the title and when you pay it off, they will mail it to you or request DMV to mail you one if they are part of the ELT (Electronic Lien and Title) program.

If you have a lender, you can probably ask them if they got the title already, what day they did received it, what day it was issued. Usually if they don't receive it, they are more anxious than you are and will request you follow up. As mentioned above, I got my plates/registration about 1-2 weeks after receiving title in mail (and about 1 month after the title issue date).

You can also try calling in or chatting with DMV, but wait times may be long.
Thanks for your help @stopcrazypp

I just found out that Tesla has NOT even submitted my paperwork to DMV ("due to internal processing error"). Apparently there should have been an envelope when the car was delivered to my home. There was none.

So now they promised that "someone from Ops team" will be calling me today.

But I am more inclined to drive to Fremont and get it sorted out.

Thanks for your help @stopcrazypp

I just found out that Tesla has NOT even submitted my paperwork to DMV ("due to internal processing error"). Apparently there should have been an envelope when the car was delivered to my home. There was none.

So now they promised that "someone from Ops team" will be calling me today.

But I am more inclined to drive to Fremont and get it sorted out.
They messed up then. When I did touchless delivery at the delivery center, there was a FedEx envelope in the car with the DMV documents I needed to sign and drop off either at the delivery center or at a FedEx location.

I would say however if you had a lender, the progress might be a bit different (I didn't).

I’m in the same boat here. I was planning on mid-November. What if I post-date the application and check? Will they just return it to me? No idea. I don’t want the 2021 stickers, but don’t want to wait until Jan 1 and then 4 months after that. Also we get cut off early in 2025 (expire in September, not December 31).

I’m in the same boat here. I was planning on mid-November. What if I post-date the application and check? Will they just return it to me? No idea. I don’t want the 2021 stickers, but don’t want to wait until Jan 1 and then 4 months after that. Also we get cut off early in 2025 (expire in September, not December 31).
If it gets to that application before the date comes, and they care about the date, they might return it. I think it's mainly if they care about the application date, post dated checks are mostly meaningless since most banks don't care about the check date. In my experience however (both back from first submission in March, and second submission in June after they rejected the first for no reason), it takes around 3 months before they get to your application.

If you have the time you may be able to reach a DMV rep on the phone and see how long the current processing times are. I believe in some thread someone did that to follow up on their application in the past. Or maybe hope someone chimes in with their most recent processing time (like maybe someone that put in an application in August or September)