Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all military/ veteran owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for bringing this back up, but with a huge influx of new model 3 owners on the road lately, I’m sure some of them are military affiliated including myself. Time to update the thread!

I’ve only seen about 5 Teslas around Fort Bragg so far.. all belonging to SOF guys (different type of mindset from conventional Soldiers... hmmm!? Could be an interesting debate).

20 years Army- currently Fort Bragg, retiring to Fort Couch soon
10 deployments
11 years SOF
Model 3 owner since SEP18

Sorry for bringing this back up, but with a huge influx of new model 3 owners on the road lately, I’m sure some of them are military affiliated including myself. Time to update the thread!

I’ve only seen about 5 Teslas around Fort Bragg so far.. all belonging to SOF guys (different type of mindset from conventional Soldiers... hmmm!? Could be an interesting debate).

10 deployments
11 years SOF

Matt,

I retired back in 14 live up in Sanford. I've seen 2 white MS and 1 Red MS and a couple M3's. I drive 87 every morning and see a M3 almost daily.

USAF. C-130 pilot. 12 years. OIF, OED, ODF. Deploying in 6 days and leaving my 2013 Model S P85 that I've had for 5 years now with a fellow USAF pilot to enjoy while I'm flying through clouds in Antarctica =)

I have lots of flying experience; two years worth of Tesla 90D experience. Not sure which one of you will have the more enjoyable experience:)

So how do we bring “workplace charging” onto Air Force installations? DOE has it. GSA has it. (Congress even put it into law, so it’s just a matter of getting the installation to implement it.)

Has anyone been involved in successfully and legally initiating workplace charging on an USAF or Army installation?
Hi, OP here ;) I’m currently stationed in S Korea and there is charging on base at the motorpools. First and only time I’ve seen this

Hi, OP here ;) I’m currently stationed in S Korea and there is charging on base at the motorpools. First and only time I’ve seen this
We have a chargepoint charging station on Peterson AFB but it's for gov vehicles only. I can't imagine it'll ever get to the point where it's free to charge for employees/military members.
I work at an off base commercial owned/military leased facility and I've been pushing to get some destination charges as there is a few Teslas here. I even offered to pay the labor to get it installed. The chargers are free from Tesla. However, the facility manager and I just had a falling out so I doubt it will happen now.

So how do we bring “workplace charging” onto Air Force installations? DOE has it. GSA has it. (Congress even put it into law, so it’s just a matter of getting the installation to implement it.)
Place to start may be a meeting with the base commander, depending on how large the facility is. Best to go in with data on how many EVs are owned by staff at the base, and a budget range for the cost of electricity usage at such a charging station. Also helpful would be the DoD's policy and projected purchaes of EVs.

EVs are taking off and I believe that in ten years will cause accelerated depreciation of ICE vehicles.

joined Marine Corps Reserve in 1969 while married and a senior at Ga Tech.....went to Perris Island and then to Millington, Tenn......from there I went to Quantico for OSC and commissioned 2ndLt.......wanted to fly and was sent to Pensacola, Fla where I got my wings.....then Cherry Point to go through RAG training in the A6......transferred to El Toro and volunteered for overseas......Went to Japan and involved with pull out of Vietnam.....It was a great time for me and I enjoyed my service and was proud to wear the uniform....Went from E-1 to O-6....Many deployments to many places both in Europe and WestPac......

I have a Model 3 for my wife and just recently got new Raven Model S.....Still have my 2016 Tacoma Truck.....I am waiting for the CyborTruck.....

Thanks goes out to all our young brave men and women who have served and still serve our country.....I am proud to of each and every one of you no matter what your MOS or branch of service affiliation......the military is a truly team effort no matter whether you were Navy, Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, National Guard or Coast Guard....you are the best!

10 deployments
11 years SOF

Hummmm.. wonder why all SOF guys are buying them? (besides the bonuses)
I ordered two CyberTrucks. Thanks for your service... been a FOG/FAG for ten years now.

Place to start may be a meeting with the base commander, depending on how large the facility is. Best to go in with data on how many EVs are owned by staff at the base, and a budget range for the cost of electricity usage at such a charging station. Also helpful would be the DoD's policy and projected purchaes of EVs.

EVs are taking off and I believe that in ten years will cause accelerated depreciation of ICE vehicles.

Sound advice, but--no offense--these are all things I'm aware of and have already tried with three different installations. One base commander said go to AAFES. AAFES said we're not interested--we rake in the cash with gasoline sales and suggested I go to MWR. MWR said "not unless you bring us a list of users ahead of time and you educate us on how much we can make out of the deal." After I gave them some guessimates, MWR said "it looks like we won't make any money if we implement the law as written, so forget it unless someone orders us to do it". The other commanders weren't interested one bit. None of the installations have any official electric vehicles. I might have to wait until the son or daughter of one of the commanders buys a Tesla--at that point, I'd bet chargers would be installed with 30 days.

We have a chargepoint charging station on Peterson AFB but it's for gov vehicles only. I can't imagine it'll ever get to the point where it's free to charge for employees/military members.
I work at an off base commercial owned/military leased facility and I've been pushing to get some destination charges as there is a few Teslas here. I even offered to pay the labor to get it installed. The chargers are free from Tesla. However, the facility manager and I just had a falling out so I doubt it will happen now.
I'm not suggesting free. Current law would allow Peterson to permit POVs to charge there on a reimbursable basis (at cost of the electricity). If the chargers are already needed, they wouldn't ever be required to charge extra for the EVSE. Monies collected would be put into the official account of the unit that pays the utility company for the electricity.

Last edited:
On the one hand, that's great, but on the other: if they're being used for POVs but monies aren't being collected and being deposited into a appropriated funds unit account...uh oh.

But I'm hijacking the thread at this point and that wasn't my intention.

Thanks for all the replies!