Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping with Model S: Some tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KOL2000

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2013
San Diego
hi all - I camped this weekend with my 7 year old (YMCA sponsored). We usually do tents for these but decided to use the S. Couldn’t take the X because I have a classic 7 seater without folding second row.

Here’s the bottom line:

We used a queen size coleman instant air bed - fits great (see pic)

To make the floor flat we used 3 folded yoga mats (see pic)

To enable camper mode we used this app: Camper for Tesla by Joao Nunes Camper for Tesla on the App Store

Much better than any other app out there for this purpose- absolutely awesome. I have a nearly 5 year old Tesla so don’t have the new camper mode update. This works amazing and is great for leaving kids in car if they fell asleep and you want to keep climate on while you are in the house for instance.

This setup worked great for me (6 foot, 180 lb) and my 7 y/o. Also it was 40 degrees at night and we lost 40 miles of range at night with heat on (assuming battery was warming itself too).

Anyway I wasted an hour of surfing the forum to figure out the above simple info. Hope it’s helpful.

Attachments

• 2C4EB520-4838-4E00-B3DF-382E76000801.jpeg
    2C4EB520-4838-4E00-B3DF-382E76000801.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 4411D5E0-2CB0-4234-BD62-620CD22E7AA8.jpeg
    4411D5E0-2CB0-4234-BD62-620CD22E7AA8.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 999
  • 9F7FD7E1-2A93-4C2F-9F17-CF872BDFD476.jpeg
    9F7FD7E1-2A93-4C2F-9F17-CF872BDFD476.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 989
hi all - I camped this weekend with my 7 year old (YMCA sponsored). We usually do tents for these but decided to use the S. Couldn’t take the X because I have a classic 7 seater without folding second row.

Here’s the bottom line:

We used a queen size coleman instant air bed - fits great (see pic)

To make the floor flat we used 3 folded yoga mats (see pic)

To enable camper mode we used this app: Camper for Tesla by Joao Nunes Camper for Tesla on the App Store

Much better than any other app out there for this purpose- absolutely awesome. I have a nearly 5 year old Tesla so don’t have the new camper mode update. This works amazing and is great for leaving kids in car if they fell asleep and you want to keep climate on while you are in the house for instance.

This setup worked great for me (6 foot, 180 lb) and my 7 y/o. Also it was 40 degrees at night and we lost 40 miles of range at night with heat on (assuming battery was warming itself too).

Anyway I wasted an hour of surfing the forum to figure out the above simple info. Hope it’s helpful.
You should be getting the camper mode soon. I have a 2013 and got the update with it about a week ago.

Reactions: Bebop
Interesting notes! I’m eager to give camping a try with my S.

It seems like the Dreamcase is the best option for the bed inside the car. I hear it’s super comfy. I’d check that out if you haven’t.

And strange you don’t have camper mode yet. It’s been out since last month or so.

If you are camping where there are hookups, I believe you can charge at most RV park campgrounds, but I think you have to turn the amperage down to 24. Have not tried this yet myself, but there are videos.
We've charged our Model S overnight at campsites with "50 amp" RV hookups and we've simply allowed the car to pull the default 40 amps. This is quite easy and works great! And faster than our old AeroVironment 30 amp home charging station.

I also camped my model S this weekend with my son's boyscout troop. Outside temp was 21 F and I used the built in camper mode set at 65. It used just 32 miles rated range overnight.

I bought a Intex Twin 8.75" Classic Downy Inflatable Airbed Mattress at Walmart for $8 which fits perfectly without bending at the sides. I also got the 12V pump for it for $8.40 which worked impressively well.

I found it pretty cramped inside for changing clothes while the mattress was inflated mainly because of the height. Deflating it made it a lot easier to maneuver in the back getting ready for bed. I used RV leveling tiles (sort of lego-like) under the rear wheels to get the bed level.

I try think there was a pretty significant temperature gradient from front to back. It was probably a good 5 to 10 degrees colder at the very end of the hatch back. Still a whole lot warmer than a tent.

I moved the front seats all the way forward and tilted forward for some decent room in the back while seated on the folded down rear seat backs when the mattress was in place but deflated.

I also prepared this are bed for my last time camping with my friends,not bed with the high quality.
It is really comfortable for me to enjoy the traveling time here.Go Tesla.
微信图片_20180202144035.jpg

It's been split into a few modes since it went official, called "Keep Climate On" and "Dog Mode" now. This thread was created before Tesla had the modes officially - "Camper Mode" was what we called it before it existed and we had to trick the car into staying on, and a few third party apps actually included the function and used that name.