Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t set FSD Without it rocketing up to the speed limit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has me concerned. Is there a speed limit sign in the construction zone that's 80MPH? Where I'm at in California, construction zones have temporary speed limit signs placed (usually 55MPH on freeways) very frequently throughout the zone. If there is an existing 65MPH speed limit sign in the zone, that sign is covered up either with black plastic or the temporary 55MPH sign.

If your zones don't necessarily do this, and there are 80MPH speed limit signs in those zones, I would disengage AP through those zones, or watch the limit carefully and adjust.
I-10 westbound (and to a lesser extent Eastbound) between Lake Charles, LA and Houston, TX. I drove back and forth twice in a month and there are stretches that AP takes at high speeds through rough construction zones. ...and yes of course I took over and watched carefully, but this is my point. FSD is okay, and it's getting there, but Full Self-Driving (even if it's just beta) suggests that it should be able to navigate things like that better. (e.g. Yes, it's 75-80mph speed limit, but there is orange cones 5ft apart and less than 2 feet away from me at 80ph. Probably a construction zone, perhaps I should slow down). I'm sure they'll get to it eventually. I can't wait until they do.

Same with FSD on streets. A human would better navigate leaving a parking lot expecting to take a left turn onto a street, realizing there's a median, and just taking a right and recalculating route. On FSD, it was determined to take that left but wouldn't because of the barrier and left me perpendicular on two lane street. Completely pooped the bed. I'm excited for FSD, AND there's a lot of work to do before I would trust it (or before I'd even think about designing a robotaxi vehicle without a steering wheel).

Reactions: Dewg