Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can A/C be left on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if there's a way to leave the A/C on and have it stay on every time I leave the car without having to select the option every time I park and walk away. Also, when I leave the A/C on and walk away does it stay on the entire time or does it stop if/when it reaches the set temp?

If you're handy with automation and scripting you could do this, but otherwise no.

If you tell it to stay on, I'm not sure what the upper limit is but it will stay on for hours. I think if the battery hits 20% it stops. "Keep On" really does mean that.

Out of curiousity, why do you want this? It would be a very large use of energy so I'm thinking you have your reasons.

Out of curiousity, why do you want this? It would be a very large use of energy so I'm thinking you have your reasons.

I get in and out of my car many times during the day and on hot summer days I prefer the A/C to remain on so that when I return to my car its nice and cool inside. I don't drive many miles so range isn't a concern for me. For the most part I remember to set A/C to on when I exit the car but occasionally I forget and after a while it gets annoying to have to do it every time I exit the car.

If you leave the system on auto you can get out and AC will still be on when you get back in the car. No, it doesn't run when you're out of the car, unless you hit the cabin overheat protection point. If you want it pre-cooled use the app to precool the car a few minutes before as you're walking up to it.

I've had my car 2 years - it's literally been in auto the whole time, with the temperature setting fluctuating around 68f.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I get in and out of my car many times during the day and on hot summer days I prefer the A/C to remain on so that when I return to my car its nice and cool inside. I don't drive many miles so range isn't a concern for me. For the most part I remember to set A/C to on when I exit the car but occasionally I forget and after a while it gets annoying to have to do it every time I exit the car.

Hmm. All I can think of is it would be really hard to implement something like this that wouldn't lead to accidentally leaving the climate control on when you're done with the car.

Definitely a unique case you have!

So if you select hit the fan and at the right of that new window select “On” it will keep whatever setting for fan and temp you have for 12hrs or until the battery drops below 20%. The hours are in the manual btw.

If you touch the fan icon for 3secs that will turn the HVAC off and vice/versa btw

Don’t forget that you can control the HVAC via the app, the car only takes a few mins to cool or heat depending on the outside temp.

Attachments

• 0DB9295F-DB13-4780-AA6B-66EEBD0B4871.jpeg
    0DB9295F-DB13-4780-AA6B-66EEBD0B4871.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 68
  • C8985675-71D4-4B3A-9A00-9669E06C4908.jpeg
    C8985675-71D4-4B3A-9A00-9669E06C4908.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Dog mode?

So if you select hit the fan and at the right of that new window select “On” it will keep whatever setting for fan and temp you have for 12hrs or until the battery drops below 20%. The hours are in the manual btw.

If you touch the fan icon for 3secs that will turn the HVAC off and vice/versa btw

Don’t forget that you can control the HVAC via the app, the car only takes a few mins to cool or heat depending on the outside temp.

All the "Keep Climate On" options (on, dog, camp) will revert when you drive again. OP is asking for a way to not have to enable it every time he gets out, since when they're back in and drive somewhere else, it will be off again when they get out of the car.

If you're handy with automation and scripting you could do this, but otherwise no.

interesting thought - you could probably accomplish this with tasker and the tesla API. just create a profile for when the phone is connected to the car, and an exit task to turn climate on at whatever temp you want it set at. i have something similar set up on my pixel 3 to enable fast wireless charging.

All the "Keep Climate On" options (on, dog, camp) will revert when you drive again. OP is asking for a way to not have to enable it every time he gets out, since when they're back in and drive somewhere else, it will be off again when they get out of the car.

I’m tracking, I didn’t want to post a big fat “no” without any info to possibly help. I think doing scripts and other stuff is much more work than taping the screen a couple times every time you get out or opening the app when you’re already got the phone in hand or yelling at Siri to set the temp.

We only just got use of the side cameras and not locking during walk-away, I wouldn’t bet on much else for a couple months especially since it’s the end of the quarter.

I think doing scripts and other stuff is much more work than taping the screen a couple times every time you get out or opening the app when you’re already got the phone in hand or yelling at Siri to set the temp.

that may be true for an iphone, but for android it's really very easy if you use (and/or don't mind purchasing) tasker. would literally take a few minutes to set up, if that.

basically: when car bluetooth disconnects, send command to the tesla api to turn climate on at whatever temp you want. done and done.

I’m tracking, I didn’t want to post a big fat “no” without any info to possibly help. I think doing scripts and other stuff is much more work than taping the screen a couple times every time you get out or opening the app when you’re already got the phone in hand or yelling at Siri to set the temp.

We only just got use of the side cameras and not locking during walk-away, I wouldn’t bet on much else for a couple months especially since it’s the end of the quarter.

I agree with you, but I work with people who will take days to script something that would only be "a couple of presses" because at the end of their scripting endeavor, its "no presses". I dont enjoy scripting myself, but those that do, tend to like to automate even simple tasks... at least that has been my experience.

Reactions: Tz00
The reason i'd like to do this is not that i'm too lazy to make a few presses, its more because i'll forget when exiting. I probably enter/exit my car a good 20 or more times a day and during the summer here in CA the car heats up quickly.

The reason i'd like to do this is not that i'm too lazy to make a few presses, its more because i'll forget when exiting. I probably enter/exit my car a good 20 or more times a day and during the summer here in CA the car heats up quickly.

Hey, not calling you lazy at all, I get what you're after but from my forum readings it doesn't seem like it's an easy thing to me. I can't have my phone in my office so I understand going in and out of the car and wanting it kept cool. Honestly it becomes an easy habit like plugging in the car when you get home, only takes a couple oops before it becomes muscle memory.

If you find a way to do this, please post it up here for the rest of us.

Totally with you on the need for this under certain circumstances. We're currently road tripping around Utah and I have to remember select "on" nearly every time we leave the car. If you forget, you tend to realise only when you return to the vehicle. In my current case, automation via something that calls the tesla api would not be robust since we are frequently without either car or mobile phone data when we leave the car. A sticky AC on option that persists for 12 hours would be nice.

Reactions: mrau

I can understand Tesla doing this .. too much risk of battery drain when ppl forget to turn it off if the toggle "stick". I think the OP *can* do this with the appropriate phone app and some automation, but it would be an effort, and he would of course then be open to the same problem .. forget it once and discover the car is down to 20% when you get back in.

I can understand Tesla doing this .. too much risk of battery drain when ppl forget to turn it off if the toggle "stick". I think the OP *can* do this with the appropriate phone app and some automation, but it would be an effort, and he would of course then be open to the same problem .. forget it once and discover the car is down to 20% when you get back in.

Exactly. It's why I don't think anyone will tackle this problem. Heck, I could write an script for it right now, but I just know someone would accidentally leave it on and ruin their day. I don't see myself as above doing that by accident either, it's just a really easy thing to have skip your mind. I don't want to add that frustration to the world.